forum

Performance Points and Score ranking on a map paradox

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
FunkySayu
Performance Points and Score ranking are two differents way to classify users on different criteria. This system works well, and is pretty nice to see (because it's really hard to classify the users on osu). But sometimes, it sounds illogic.

Let's take an example :
  1. I perfect (100% combo) a map with 99% accuracy and no mod. This map append (for example) 5 PP to my global pp. Right, this is cool !
  2. Let's try now in hidden. The map is way more difficult, buti finally FC its (missing 2 combo) with 97% accuracy. And because of my accuracy, i lose my 5 precedent PP.
As you can see, making a better score on a map can make you lose some PP, which sounds illogic. I have two differents solutions, that have there pro and there cons :

I) Base the PP system calculation on the score system

Pro : easy to do, easy to understand for users
Con : we lose this aspect of two different ranking criteria.

I think it's not the solution : cons are way more important than pros in my opinion.

II) Save the best PP score and the best score on a map

Pro : keep the double ranking criteria
Con : way more harder to do (double the database size, hard to integrate in the client,...), hard to understand for final users

... but this is the best solution i see, and i think it's this one which need to be implemented.

What do you think about it ?

(note : if i made some english mistake / something you don't understand, please pm me to correct it)
Bauxe
Just because a score is better, doesn't make it a harder play. So no.
TheVileOne
The latter is already planned. Please be patient.
Myxo

TheVileOne wrote:

The latter is already planned. Please be patient.
Ohhh nice to hear that *-*
Also, a 97% score with HD is not better than a 99% no mod play.
jesse1412
Why base the pp system on the scoring system when we can base the scoring system on the pp system?
Maxis

jesus1412 wrote:

Why base the pp system on the scoring system when we can base the scoring system on the pp system?
jesus once again speaks the truth
Dexus

jesus1412 wrote:

All previous scores would be invalid and everyone would have to start fresh. I don't know how well everyone would handle that. If we had a reboot for osu! that allowed for radical changes that would be really nice but at the same time devastating for a lot of people. A solution would be to just archive all scores that are currently made for maps (possibly just the top 50 or so) so that people's nice scores are retained. A new set of scoreboards could be put up.

Really though seeing how butthurt people got over changes from score rank, ppv1, ppv2, and currently ppt (tom's system) I doubt something like that would happen. (Then again tom's system got implemented and I never really saw that coming)
Ohrami

Dexus wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

All previous scores would be invalid and everyone would have to start fresh.
what

that's not even true at all wut, all scores currently have a pp value, so just order the leaderboards by those values instead of the "score" value