forum

Skin versioning and broken skin layouts

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
In this public build I have decided to phase out the "Prefer new default skin behaviour" option toggle and standardise skins. This means that many users will experience broken skins, or osu! not behaving as they expect. This post will help you resolve the issues.

If you are a player with a custom skin, and are not seeing what you expect:

1. If you just want to replace a few elements of the default skin (ie. cursor), make sure your skin is named "User". This will ensure you are always using the latest skin version (even without a skin.ini).
  2. If you have more than one user skin and wish to stay up-to-date on all of them, you can use a skin.ini with "Version: latest". Note that you should not use latest for distributed skins.
  3. If you are using a distributed skin and it is misaligned, open the skin.ini and check to see if it has "Version: 2" specified. If it doesn't, try adding this and see if it fixes your issues.
If you are a skinner and your skin no longer works how you expect:

Please read up on skin versioning and the changes you need to make to your skin.ini. Make sure to stay up-to-date with skinning changes, as newer version will allow more features, as well as staying in line with the latest look and feel of osu!.
Uruoki
Does "Version: latest" default to the behaviors used in "Version: 2" or is there plans for a new version?

The way you worded the post, it sounds like "Version: latest" is not suggested for skin distribution.

Just trying to future proof stuff.
Topic Starter
peppy
You are 100% correct. Do not use "latest" for skin distribution.
Megatron
Will we ever be able to skin the color of play-warningarrow? Currently osu! makes it so that no matter what the arrows get a red overlay which isn't optimal since I'd really like to make mine blue. Googling this lead me to see that in 2 separate posts you acknowledged this, once by saying that this will be resolved in the next release and the second you said this correct behavior and to avoid it we should de-select "prefer new skin...", unfortunately that second post's solution never worked and now the option is gone.

What should we do if we want to skin the color of the warning arrows, or are you adamant about the red overlay?
Azer
For skins who previously used new skin behaviour, version must be 2.0 and not 2. OP is misleading. (At least it didn't work for me '_>' )
Elzapatoverde
Well... this happened after the update

And yes, I'm using the "Version: 2". Should I just move the "taiko-drum-inner/outer.png" or you will fix this?
bbshksh

Elzapatoverde wrote:

I'm not sure if i shoud put this on Technical Support, but this happened after the update

And yes, I'm using the "Version: 2".
this occurs on my taiko mode too.
Lewd
Same thing happening with mine, but in addition my hitsounds dont work for taiko.
RBRat3

Elzapatoverde wrote:

Well... this happened after the update

And yes, I'm using the "Version: 2". Should I just move the "taiko-drum-inner/outer.png" or you will fix this?
Your osu! skin may be version 2 but your taiko elements are not, The taiko skin change was to allow for future skinning to be easier.

You can either edit your elements or change your skins version...

To fix the issue via editing, your inner and outers should occupy a full half width of taiko-bar-left.

bar-left is 360x400px @2x (180x200px 1x)
inner & outers are 180x400px @2x (90x200px 1x)

bbshksh wrote:

this occurs on my taiko mode too.
You have the wrong version being used on your skin it should be version 2...

edit: For better clarity your skin needs to be "whole" including all game mode elements utilizing either version 1 or 2 not both.
Elzapatoverde
Oh, that explains a lot, thank you.
Topic Starter
peppy
I'll do a bump for taiko elements, on second thoughts.

Also 2 is the same as 2.0.
Ayesha Altugle

peppy wrote:

1. If you just want to replace a few elements of the default skin (ie. cursor), make sure your skin is named "User". This will ensure you are always using the latest skin version (even without a skin.ini).
I am confused in this part. Can someone explain?
Haskorion
For example you use a skin that is mostly the default skin with a different cursor or transparent hit300s (no real skin), this skin can be named "User" and doesn't even need a skin.ini. It will always use the latest version.

All other skins are treated as old-styled skins (equals Version:1) if they aren't Version: 2 .
The folder name "User" won't force this on this specific skin.
Ayesha Altugle
Ahh, Thanks.
Rika-chan
Upon adding Version: 2, the Taiko skin is fixed, however my spinner skin reverts to default. Removing the line fixes the spinner, naturally, but my taiko skin becomes broken again.

Not sure where I should go from there.
iamthecman

vowywowy wrote:

Will we ever be able to skin the color of play-warningarrow? Currently osu! makes it so that no matter what the arrows get a red overlay which isn't optimal since I'd really like to make mine blue. Googling this lead me to see that in 2 separate posts you acknowledged this, once by saying that this will be resolved in the next release and the second you said this correct behavior and to avoid it we should de-select "prefer new skin...", unfortunately that second post's solution never worked and now the option is gone.

What should we do if we want to skin the color of the warning arrows, or are you adamant about the red overlay?
just noticed this. Does anyone know a way to fix it?
Ayesha Altugle
Put version: 1 line on skin.ini (under [General] ofc)
TakuMii
SPOILER
I have my skin.ini set to Version: 2, but my Taiko skin is still misaligned :/
EDIT: Spoke too soon. Updated again, and I'm not having this issue any more. Thanks for the quick fix!
mintong89
I'm set the version to "latest" , Left-bar is already fine but right bar is broken (taiko-right-bar.png)

RBRat3

Mintong wrote:

I'm set the version to "latest" , Left-bar is already fine but right bar is broken (taiko-right-bar.png)

Your bar-right is short.

Bar-right was extended to reach under bar-left for better aesthetics when bar-lefts right edge is manipulated with things like glow, notches, rounded corners etc.. what ever a skinner can make good use of.

Bar-right is 2048x400px @2x (1024x200px 1x)
(The same metrics apply to the glow)

Here's a zip of the taiko elements with V2.1 position changes for those who want a more direct method of metrics http://puu.sh/94poH/9dd786040b.zip
show more