forum

[osujam] - new game mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +5
Topic Starter
Xcrypt
So I figured I love osu!, but I also love o2jam. Why not combine the two? :D

Right now in osu! you only have one tapping key, sure you can have multiple binds for the same functionality which you need for streaming etc. But wouldn't it be cool if we had a gamemode where we could use one entire hand for jamming? It wouldn't be as fast as osu! though, since you'd need to use a lot of peripheral vision (thus a bit less precise aiming) and do some multitasking, but it still feels like this would be awesome.

FrzR
NO PLEASE.
Marcin
That would be... so impossible.
Topic Starter
Xcrypt
Why impossible? It would just be more complex than osu!, meaning that the maps would be a bit slower on the same skill level. You can make everything as easy or as hard as you want it to.
deadbeat
no
Full Tablet

deadbeat wrote:

no
why not?
deadbeat
it's impractical.
Topic Starter
Xcrypt
Well, that sux. Don't think it's impractical for the ppl who play both o2j and osu.
Why marked as invalid? Just because you don't like it?
Rio-

Xcrypt wrote:

Well, that sux. Don't think it's impractical for the ppl who play both o2j and osu.
Why marked as invalid? Just because you don't like it?
I understand Your complaint.... But using 2 buttons right now makes osu! a lot harder even for pro-player (Like Stream, Stack, etc), why adding more buttons?.... That would be impossible for anyone....

*Imagine Scarlet Rose with this o2jam style.....
Topic Starter
Xcrypt
Because in a lot of rhythm games nowadays where there is not a lot of complexity, in order to make things more difficult they just go faster to the point where you need insane tapping speed. (gh, stepmania, osu streaming). Would be nice to create difficulity in complexity instead of crazy tapping speed (which isn't even healthy for your hands) for a change. I'm not saying that those games aren't hard or that those approaches are bad or whatever, they would just create difficulity in different ways.
MarioBound
Just because it is in a lot of rhythm games doesn't mean we have to follow it.
OsuMe65
play Scarlet Rose / Freedom Dive / Airman on your "osujam" game mode and you'll regret it
Full Tablet

OsuMe65 wrote:

play Scarlet Rose / Freedom Dive / Airman on your "osujam" game mode and you'll regret it
Looks like fun
Rio-

Full Tablet wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

Looks like fun
More like excitement when You can pass them with this "osujam" mode....
Trash Boat
instead of you doing all the job, why not split it in 2 players? one does the osu!, the other does the mania.
deadbeat

battler077 wrote:

instead of you doing all the job, why not split it in 2 players? one does the osu!, the other does the mania.
there's already a request for something like this
Loctav
Wow. You guys are biased. What's wrong with you? Especially deadbeat :/
Be a bit more neutral. I am slightly disgusted, how you treat this idea because of your limited capabilities.

Removing the invalid tag, it's ridiculous to call it invalid just because you are not able to multitask.
deadbeat
you forgot to move back out of completed requests :p

also i'm not being biased, i'm stating my opinion. if you think this is still valid then i'll leave this in your hands since i'm still standing by my previous decision
blissfulyoshi
Just going to say most ppl thought games like Ontamarama really hard and not very fun.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, the game is a cross between DDR and ouendan sort of, except the ouendan part is not according to the rhythm. You have to activate the little guys below, before you can press the notes up top. In short slightly easier than this idea.

Videos: (the songs played are really easy, the last few songs on hard mode are really fast, hard, and annoying imo)
[box=What actual gameplay looks like:[:1337]
TheVileOne
^They made that game seem way more exciting than it actually is.
Sea_Food
When I heard the name osu!mania for the first time I though it would be like this.
Really disapointed when it was not.
I even managed to get so far that I got 2 osu! clients open at the same time to do this manually, but I could not get the input to work properly.

I have always liked multitask games, and thats why multitask1 and multitask 2 are my favorite online games. (my high scores are 470seconds and 245 seconds, i bet none of u can get even half of that (especially deadbeat))
xxbidiao
Completely not a bad idea.

But it would be a good idea to let someone test that :)
Compa

Well it could be decent but at least don't make us use all 5 fingers pinkies aren't for spamming D:
Sea_Food

Mid Boss wrote:

Well it could be decent but at least don't make us use all 5 fingers pinkies aren't for spamming D:
daily reminder that u are allowed to move your fingers from key to key. Meaning u can play 7k with 3fingers etc.
Compa

Sea_Food wrote:

Mid Boss wrote:

daily reminder that u are allowed to move your fingers from key to key. Meaning u can play 7k with 3fingers etc.
Well if you're playing from auto converts they mess with your fingers and you usually must use all 7 D:
Neku Okazaki
No
PyaKura
So basically it's "simply" a mix between mania-mode and STD ?

Would have been interesting before osu!mania came out, but now it'd feel like recycling existing stuff to me.
lolcubes
Imagine all the deathstreams that have to be done with the same key.

Delicious.
Hanyuu
This sounds incredibly difficult lol. 1 hand playing mouse only and the other one up to 5 keys?
I don't think a 7 key mode would work with this (moving fingers away from keys as Sea food said). It is allways better to designate one finger for 1 key and you can't really press 6 or 7 keys at once with 1 hand. The idea looks fun but i can only imagine it on easier difficulty songs :P
Sea_Food

Hanyuu wrote:

It is allways better to designate one finger for 1 key and you can't really press 6 or 7 keys at once with 1 hand.
Come on how many keys you used to write that message? Would you rather have done it with a keyboard that has 8 keys and you need to do wierd button combinations to get it right?
Also the max keys at once could be just manually capped. For exanple i know that in dance games you can cap it to max 2 keys at once (no hands)
Hanyuu
I don't get your point but in general and most noticable on higher song difficulties you don't really move your hands that much and are more focused on hitting notes tbh. I can sort of get your point, it seems like your idea (aswell as this request remotely) is like in IIDX would be as you would play with 1 hand on the turntable and with 1 hand on the keyboard. Yet 1 hand can only press as much as fingers are, no discussion on that - rhythm games and not slam desk games.

That being said and ignoring the other assumptions. Lower key modes would be good for this.
As in Z X for example which would be the standard for osu standard nowadays- would be a 2K mode combined with that suggested mania gameplay and osu standard mode.

In my opinion it would still only work out up 5k at most, and that being allready ridiculous..
Sea_Food
What about "Catch-The-Mania-Osu!" or just CatMO ?

Its like osu! but you move your cursor with arrow keys. Press shift to move faster. For really fast jumps the notes become red and you move even faster to make it possible. Just land your cursor on the notes at the time. Oh also you need to press a correct button combination of Q, W, E, R and SPACE on each note (while ur cursor is on that note). That is part is displayed individually on the left, or alternativly the letters show on the notes.

Converting normal osu songs for this should be easy enough aswell :)
Tekklorn
Seems interesting, I doubt this will get implemented though but interesting none the less
_dog
hmm i have an idea simiolar to this that may have a better flow thats favourable to everyone ill post in here when i have time
Kaeru

OsuMe65 wrote:

Why even post if you're not going to read what the OP said? He clearly stated that songs mapped in this mode would need to be less difficult in order to accommodate for the level of skill this would require.

I think it's an interesting idea and would like to see it, but I personally think there are way more creative and inventive ideas for modes out there that deserve more attention than just a mix of two modes that already exist.
Hanyuu
Lol the song difficulty shouldn't matter at all tbh. This is just about the game mode right? I am sure there are quite alot of people who can do such a map without troubles.

Anyhow i still really like that sort of mix playstyle idea and gameplay but i don't think such a thing would be added, since it is not really a "new" game mode.
Trash Boat
i'm(not)surprised that this thread has no stars yet
Erotc
haha this would be so hard xD. That multitasking
ILoveChaoFan
Woahh. I would suck at osujam. :)
Marcin
That looks similar doesn't it?

Video editing skills.
Rose Ruby

Marcin wrote:

Video editing skills.
Switch the taiko mod with a mania one and yes it would really look like the same.
Like already someone said, puting 2 already existing mods together looks like recycling.
The idea at all is still not a bad one. But i see formyself this as mod, i seriously don't need.
Topic Starter
Xcrypt
For the people who would like to play/try this, I'm working on a stand alone minigame that will integrate this kind of gameplay. Gonna share it when it's done. Estimated time a couple of months.
Maiz94

Xcrypt wrote:

For the people who would like to play/try this, I'm working on a stand alone minigame that will integrate this kind of gameplay. Gonna share it when it's done. Estimated time a couple of months.
Nice. Can't wait to try it. :D
EineKrone

TheGrimOfCrazy wrote:

hmm i have an idea simiolar to this that may have a better flow thats favourable to everyone ill post in here when i have time
No news?

Marcin wrote:

Video editing skills.
Looks fun, just have to make the dev(devs? not aware of how osu! is developed >.<) interested.

About it being too hard, yeah, but osu! is hard too, and we all love it. There even exist people who play it on the higher difficulties.
So i don't see the skill required being an big problem. Just, test it k?
LuigiHann
This actually sounds awesome

I think the Taiko/osu version is more practical, since you could have 4 keys for two colors, making streams more feasible, but aside from the insanity of the multitasking, how would the mania version be any different than the current mania mode? Couldn't streams just be handled exactly as they are already?
Stefan

Marcin wrote:

Video editing skills.
Well, that honestly looks boring, nothing special and wouldn't be somethin we actually need in osu!. We should force "new concepts" we haven't got it yet in osu! - like o!m - and not mixing stuff because there is a other game which did that. Like.. the thing with Touhosu or however it is called is nice, something new and would be really interesting to play.

That's my sight. In case this ever will be added I won't play it.
Kuchibiiru
Well, I see this to be impossible unless you can multitask but If you somehow made it to where on one half of the song, You're playing osu! then somewhere in the middle of the song it switches onto osu!mania or vise versa
Flanster
always be ready for more challenges!
Onisakura
Looks like a mindfuck :(
Katsuie

iDolan wrote:

Well, I see this to be impossible unless you can multitask but If you somehow made it to where on one half of the song, You're playing osu! then somewhere in the middle of the song it switches onto osu!mania or vise versa
Genius. +1
show more