forum

8K to 7K Converter

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kethsar
So I recently got my hands on a good amount of BMS maps, and decided to convert them to osu format. Thing is, after they are converted, they are in 8K mode, since that's the default game play type for BMS. After I learned of how to manually convert them to 7K by messing around in the .osu file, I quickly grew tired of doing so for each difficulty of every song I converted. So, I ended up making a program that does it automagically, and have decided to share it here, for anyone that may want it.

To use:
0. Convert the song you want from BMS to osu! using woc2006's BMS converter
1. Open the 8K to 7K converter, and click 'Browse...'
2. Navigate to and select the .osu files you want to be converted
3. Click Convert
4. Copy the folder containing the osu files to your osu! songs folder.
5. ???
6. PROFIT!

A few notes:
You may want to open the .osu files and check the Title and TitleUnicode lines to see if they contain something along the lines of [Another], [Hyper], etc. If it does, delete that bit of it, else the difficulties won't be grouped together in osu!.

Not all songs convert from BMS to osu! properly. Two examples can be found at the bottom of this post. The BMS files work perfectly fine on Lunatic Rave 2, though, so I'm not sure what to think of this. If the map sounds like it has problems, try making a fresh BMS to osu convert and checking that on osu!. If it still sounds like the map has problems without the conversion to 7K, then it is a problem with the BMS to osu conversion, not the 8K to 7K conversion. However, if it sounds fine before the 7K conversion, post in the thread stating the song, and if possible, a link to the BMS file, and I'll possibly look into it.

Big thanks to Puncia for making the first iteration of the program. Without his source code, I would likely not have been able to figure out what code was needed to make the finished product (I've not made a program before this).

Also big thanks to Ephemeral for telling me which language to use and helping me figure out why the buttons didn't want to work despite the code being fine. >_>

And finally, thanks to Mr Color for pointing out some flaws in the converted songs during earlier revisions of the program.

Get the program here!
Get the source code here!

Examples of songs that don't convert properly (I've included the BMS files and osu! conversions for both songs).

Please post any problems you have with the program in this thread.

Changelog
8 Sept. 2013: Initial release of the program (v1)

28 Oct. 2013: Fixed an issue with it not properly converting maps that were converted from BMS to .osu using the integrated converter in the editor. Thanks to Lno for bringing this to my attention. (v1.1)

20 Dec. 2013: Fixed an issue with a rare case where the timing of a note matched the criteria to be converted from one number to another. Thanks to Tear for bringing this to my attention. (v1.2)

7 Oct. 2014: Made it so the program doesn't die when you try to click the Convert button before choosing a file. Also made the window non-resizable. I'm just sitting in my C# class in my first term of college with nothing to do. Help. I'm bored. (v1.3)
Bobbias
Downloaded the source. I've written myself a tool that worked on .osu files, it'll be interesting to see someone else's take on one.

woc's converter is a bit funky sometimes. I had pretty mixed results when I tried converting some o2mania BMS files (7k charts written in an 8k BMS, with the scratch column empty).
xxbidiao
However I think that manually put some scratch into the 7key part and ignore a few other scratch notes (into background) is a better idea.

Anyway great work! :D
Drace
D:
D:
D:

The poor 8k maps...
Maiz94
Don't worry, Drace. There'll be more 8K players soon to this community. <3
Agka

Drace wrote:

D:
D:
D:

The poor 8k maps...
eventually<tm>
Tear
The converter is broken D: Some notes get misplaced:

This was a regular stair in 8K :/
You can get the BMS here
Agka
holy necros tear
Taadashi

Drace wrote:

D:
D:
D:

The poor 8k maps...
Lol Drace, you're so cute. <3 :P
Topic Starter
Kethsar
Alright Tear, the problem should be fixed now. Go ahead and re-download the converter, and thanks for posting the problem!

Agka wrote:

holy necros tear
I welcome the necro. It allows me to fix the program if a problem is posted, such as Tear's problem.
Tear
Thanks a ton for fixing that ^_^
Sorry for not replying on irc, I'm online even while asleep .-.

help I can't get this Grand Thaw song out of my head