forum

[Rule] Mapset should have at least 1 diff below 3 star level

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kurai
[quote="Ranking Criteria":85dd7]there should be at least one difficulty around ~2.5/3 star difficulty level;I think this rule should be amended. Everyone is aware that star rating isn't accurate at all. It's pretty common to see a 3.5 diff that is easier than a 2.5 diff.
Thus instead of forcing mappers to get a < 3.0 diff by hook or by crook, we should let the bubbler and the ranker use their common sense and decide whether the easiest diff is easy enough or not. They can also gather opinions of other community members by asking in #modhelp if they are unsure.
Jenny
I think this has been executed for a while already? I had a 3.24 diff on my bubbled map or smth as the modders were k with the difficulty, so you may see this as some sort of agreeing comment.
Topic Starter
Kurai
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/74277 This map has been popped beause of this rule.
Aqo
What about warped star difficulties?

I've seen a mapset where the [Extra] diff was 3 stars, and the mapper had to lower the OD from OD8 to OD7 to make it 5 stars, which is stupid since OD8 fits much better for an [Extra] diff.

Stars should just be completely abolished. They get in the way of mapping.
Kodora
Star rating is so retarded sometimes, proved this by some of my guest maps.

Support this.
Stefan

Aqo wrote:

What about warped star difficulties?

I've seen a mapset where the [Extra] diff was 3 stars, and the mapper had to lower the OD from OD8 to OD7 to make it 5 stars, which is stupid since OD8 fits much better for an [Extra] diff.

Stars should just be completely abolished. They get in the way of mapping.
This isn't really leading on the Topic here since this Thread is about making the Rule of having a Diff at least with 3.2 Stars more confortable. However no XAT would bubble/rank something with this issue.

On-Topic: Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes and.. yes. Especially for the cases where you NEED to map this and this on 1/2 the current Rule is such a flow breaker and makes neat Normal Diffs awfully boring or worse because the Mappers had to remove things to follow with the rule. (Speaking on experience about this)
Sushi
Yep, the star rating is kinda retarded sometimes, specially for easy diff, specially because of the difficulty difference for a newbie between sliders and circle and the way these two elements affect the star rating.

One thing that could be good, is to put this rule as a guideline, but something like that :
There should be a difficulty which is accessible to everyone, as in new players. An indicator would be a easy/Normal diff with its star difficulty would be around 3 Max.

Or something like that.
Stefan
also it depends if the Song gives the possibility to map an Easy. But yeah this Discussion is quite subjective and hard to make everyone satisfied.
Aqo

Sushi wrote:

An indicator would be a easy/Normal diff with its star difficulty would be around 3 Max.
The whole point of this thread is that star rating is a useless indicator.

Freedom dive 2.5 stars is not a useful indicator for anybody. Common sense > stars.
Sushi
What I wanted to say, is that people can think of this as a not accurate indicator, but still is an idea of what it's like.
However, common sense > stars , yeah, I know there are several stuff that are broken about this.
NatsumeRin
Sure, it can be something handled by XATs.
However, about the map in question, i don't think it's easy enough...
Makar
^I agree with this.
Also for easier diffs (below 4 stars) I actually find the star rating to be fairly accurate.
Sakura
Common Sense > Stars yes, but Common sense isn't very common nowadays.

Dunno about the proposed ammendment, but i think there should still be some visual confirmation of it, because relying on common sense would send this rule into subjective territory.
Topic Starter
Kurai

Sakura wrote:

Dunno about the proposed ammendment, but i think there should still be some visual confirmation of it, because relying on common sense would send this rule into subjective territory.
If the staff can't be trusted over this then something is wrong.
-kevincela-

Kurai wrote:

Sakura wrote:

Agree here. MATs and BATs are supposed to be taken from people who have at least a bit of common sense, or they wouldn't have been in the team at all. However I agree with this changement, it shouldn't really be that hard to determinate if a difficulty is easy or not, and it would definitely remove these limits caused by the star rating system, so why not?
Sieg

-kevincela- wrote:

Agree here. MATs and BATs are supposed to be taken from people who have at least a bit of common sense, or they wouldn't have been in the team at all. However I agree with this changement, it shouldn't really be that hard to determinate if a difficulty is easy or not, and it would definitely remove these limits caused by the star rating system, so why not?

Because staff opinions may vary and we get another tons of s.storms in threads of ranked/unranked bubbled/unbubbled maps?
those

Kurai wrote:

Sakura wrote:

There IS something wrong.
Charles445
From what I can tell the idea behind the 3 star rule was to prevent the staff calling something easy when it really wasn't.
3 stars is still a very restrictive amount, and there are many cases where maps that are 3.4 or so are pushed forward anyway.
3 stars was never treated as a hard limit (from what I can tell), so I think it might be best to raise it as few took it seriously.

I think a 3.5 star enforced limit would suffice. Anything over that ends up being quite difficult honestly, and it gives mappers a lot of leeway when creating an Easy or Normal.

So it would be like this, rule is <=3.5, guideline is around 3 stars. I think that'd be a good amount.
Scorpiour

Charles445 wrote:

From what I can tell the idea behind the 3 star rule was to prevent the staff calling something easy when it really wasn't.
3 stars is still a very restrictive amount, and there are many cases where maps that are 3.4 or so are pushed forward anyway.
3 stars was never treated as a hard limit (from what I can tell), so I think it might be best to raise it as few took it seriously.

I think a 3.5 star enforced limit would suffice. Anything over that ends up being quite difficult honestly, and it gives mappers a lot of leeway when creating an Easy or Normal.

So it would be like this, rule is <=3.5, guideline is around 3 stars. I think that'd be a good amount.
it could be a halfway solution.

personally, i don't like this rules very much because i believe all MAT/BAT know "what is an Easy/Normal diff for newbie players" so that the difficulty/diff spread issues must be addressed before bubble/rank depend on each single cases but not simply a number which is not accurate enough.

I'd like to support that move "3 star rating limit" from rules to guideline.
Makar

Kurai wrote:

Sakura wrote:

Says the person who bubbled the map who's normal is too hard. Sorry.

The point in the above statement is to show that a difficulty being too hard or not is subjective. Star rating is an objective approach to it, and nobody has complained about it being "wrong to measure if easy or not" until now.

I am against this rule change because there -will- be subjective arguments in the future on if the map is easy enough or not. Not all staff can agree on one subjective thing, and you should know this by now. I also don't agree with it being a guideline unless somebody can give a map that is over 3 stars yet all staff can agree that it is not too hard for an easiest difficulty. I see no problem with restricting it to 3/3.5 stars and just have staff make sure that there is no difficulty under 3 stars that is still too hard for a normal/easy due to not using easily readable/playable patterns that don't affect the rating.
show more