forum

[Visual Setting] Force countdown on maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +91
Topic Starter
theowest
An option, preferably in the visual settings, to let you force a countdown right before any object, no matter how early they the map starts.
It would take the skin of the countdown from the preferred skin, in most cases it's your choice "User's preference (No Change)".

I hope I'm allowed to quote you mm201 :p

This is especially useful when playing with hidden mod, as it would solve these problems:
t/120416 and t/76298/
which have all been denied.
TheVileOne
Good idea. I don't think it needs to be anymore than just Disable/enable countdown in visual settings. No need to force skin usage since skin elements will override regardless.
Sakura
I still think it would be better as a global toggle in options with individual adjustments per visual settings per map (much like local offsets)
Hanyuu
I dont get this. Is this about enabling a countdown when it was disabled by the map?
Topic Starter
theowest

Hanyuu wrote:

I dont get this. Is this about enabling a countdown when it was disabled by the map?
Yes. That's exactly what this request is about.

Sakura wrote:

I still think it would be better as a global toggle in options with individual adjustments per visual settings per map (much like local offsets)
I agree! but I'd like to auto-enable all kinds of visual settings from the options too: t/117868

TheVileOne wrote:

No need to force skin usage since skin elements will override regardless.
I'm just stating the obvious, if you have the preferred skin set to the osu! default skin, you will first play with the osu! default skin until you "ignore skin". Or else your own skinned countdown will be mixed with that preferred skin.
Hanyuu
So is this just some addition to the denied idea about hidden mod intro?
Sakura

theowest wrote:

[...] but I'd like to auto-enable all kinds of visual settings from the options too: t/117868
I highly doubt that'll ever happen tho, nor i would agree with it
Topic Starter
theowest

Hanyuu wrote:

not addition. it's more of a valid request that could work compared to that one.

Sakura wrote:

theowest wrote:

[...] but I'd like to auto-enable all kinds of visual settings from the options too: t/117868
I highly doubt that'll ever happen tho, nor i would agree with it
yeah, I don't think it will happen either tbh.
TheVileOne
Why would you want to prefer the default skin anyways. It doesn't make sense for you to be able to disable everything but a single skin element. If it were sensible then we should be able to choose which skin elements we can enable/disable.

If it were a global option then I would agree.
Sakura

Hanyuu wrote:

I think this one explains more the reasoning as to why: t/64765
Topic Starter
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

Why would you want to prefer the default skin anyways. It doesn't make sense for you to be able to disable everything but a single skin element. If it were sensible then we should be able to choose which skin elements we can enable/disable.

If it were a global option then I would agree.
Some beatmaps have that. Not many though. This request isn't about that though.

Song Setup.
Hanyuu
Well on the positive side this would be atleast a good solution for the hidden players. I think the other idea was either some request to show the first approach circle if the map does start as the same time as the song starts. And the other one which was to force sliders for the first note.

But well, this seems reasonable. I mean the countdown can help a bit. But for years the hidden players could do it anyways. Just leaving this there
Osuology
I really want this, but it seems it won't be made :( Also, I thought a slider bar for the countdown speed, and the checkbox for overwriting the map countdown.
Scarlet Evans
I firmly believe that allowing an user to enable or disable countdown manually is a really good idea.
There are many maps that starts immediately with the first sound(s) or... even before them. In both cases, it would be great to be able to enable countdown, especially if you want to play map with Hidden mod.

Sight-reading the first note, over and over again, without any sound to support it, can often be quite annoying, especially if you keep changing ARs', as there's completely no rhythm element in that.
I really hope that it will be implemented in future and we will be able to forcefully enable/disable Countdown :)
(sometimes we can consider that there is no need for it, especially if there is a fragment of the song before the map starts, so we would like to do the opposite - disable the countdown).
dtnc21

Scarlet Evans wrote:

... There are many maps that starts immediately with the first sound(s) or... even before them. In both cases, it would be great to be able to enable countdown, especially if you want to play map with Hidden mod.

Sight-reading the first note, over and over again, without any sound to support it, can often be quite annoying, especially if you keep changing ARs', as there's completely no rhythm element in that. ...
Exactly why I'm supporting this!
Akumara
What maps actually have this?
Seijiro
It's not a matter of maps having it or not.
The request wants a toggle that forces the countdown on whatever map you want, regardless of it having it.

While I personally don't use this I can see the appeal (I almost thought to ask for the removal of the countdown completely lol) and the usage of this.
I wouldn't mind seeing it in game.