forum

OT! Plays Dwarf Fortress - Finally Free Again

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WitherMite
<< previous | next >>

Update #3

After a year of waiting for the dwarves to poke their little heads out of their hole the undead must've gotten bored, because they decided to just wander off. Fortunate for them because they barely missed the grand opening of the new trap hall:
the dwarves weren't too happy about all their hard work going to waste, but this gives us time to make the traps even better when they inevitably return with even more troops.

Before they left a human pikeman showed up, but put up much worse of a fight than that merchant did last season. He went and got himself suffocated by a giant jumping spider before even meeting our friends.

Now that we have the surface again I had the dwarves quickly build a drawbridge in front of the door so we would be safe from building destroyers such as werebeasts and the like, reclaiming the entrance we had started so long ago. We can finally begin building a mountainhome suitable for a dwarf.
we currently have an elven maceman and a human swordsman visiting our tavern, hopefully they like the place enough to stick around and help out.

The Bad News

Because there always has to be bad news. Unfortunately its been 2 years and we haven't seen a single soul attempt to migrate here. The dwarves are beginning to believe that they may be the last of their civilization, and the site they came from: Chrysoprasereconnoiters has fallen to the milk opals of gloss
All we have left is an elven forest, where our queen resides.

We may have to shut our selves off from the world and become a generational fort, trying to recoup enough population the natural way to re-emerge to the surface and take back some sites. Unfortunately this takes time (decades, if not centuries).

We could also try and attract as many outsiders here as possible, and try and get them to join our cause against the necromancers, which raises some concerns. Anyone could just show up, be it werebeasts, vampires, intelligent undead, actual necromancers, general troublemakers, and thieves looking to steal our things. this could easily lead to the fort falling apart from the inside.

This is a pretty tough spot to be in, as we dont seem to be getting help from our civilization. but at least the elves seem to be doing ok, maybe we will get an elven trader show up with some animals we can use to replace the ones that were killed last year.

Ok, so a few things:

1. When choosing the embark for this I probably should have focused less on the possible story and more on whether or not the fort would be good. This is legitimately the worst off I've seen a fort in it's first year lmao.

2. Question to you guys, how attached to this fort are you guys and do you want me to start over in a new world - since I dont much like this tileset and the mods that it came with anyway, try and spit in the face of these necromancers and make a fortress despite the odds, or just give up on this idea altogether, since it seems like only a few people are actively participating anyway.

3. If we do go the route of the generational fort, updates will slow down by quite a bit, since children take quite a while to grow up. Alternatively we can try and just build a cool fort, then leave the dwarves to it and move on from this whole thing, assuming they would live there until their population rises. In which case I'd be focusing less on story and more on how the fort should be designed.
YyottaCat
Fortresses are made for the inevitable fate of falling apart.
igorsprite
have you ever thought about create a rpg? you seems pretty talented for this type of thing

WitherMite wrote:

2. Question to you guys, how attached to this fort are you guys and do you want me to start over in a new world - since I dont much like this tileset and the mods that it came with anyway, try and spit in the face of these necromancers and make a fortress despite the odds, or just give up on this idea altogether, since it seems like only a few people are actively participating anyway.
i will wait z0z's answer
z0z

igorsprite wrote:

have you ever thought about create a rpg? you seems pretty talented for this type of thing

WitherMite wrote:

i will wait z0z's answer
we can restart completely with a new tileset since we haven't really gotten that far, it'll probably be better for us anyway
it depends if wither is fine with erasing all progress so far

also an rpg seems interesting
Topic Starter
WitherMite

igorsprite wrote:

Idk, you'd be surprised how much of this story is created by the rng of the game. If anything all I've done is hide the clunky interface that this game has. Im not sure if I would be able to pull an interesting story out of thin air.
ShinRun
This seem too complex for my small brain
igorsprite

WitherMite wrote:

igorsprite wrote:

Idk, you'd be surprised how much of this story is created by the rng of the game. If anything all I've done is hide the clunky interface that this game has. Im not sure if I would be able to pull an interesting story out of thin air.
but you don't need to create a story, just narrate
Topic Starter
WitherMite
I think I'm gonna give it another year and if it seems like there just isn't any way to grow the fort I'll abandon it and start a new one after a break. I'll change up how I choose the embark, give you guys a few starting options to choose from. Also I'll try my best to keep it more simple so more people can join in, gotta find a balance between telling a story and getting across the choices we need to make.

I guess its entirely possible that the siege stopped any migrants from showing up, and its fall now so we might still see a caravan¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
igorsprite
oke
z0z
:thumbsup:
Topic Starter
WitherMite

Final Update

Played for another year and a half and no sign of any migrants. The caravan did come, but there was no outpost liaison - meaning our civ is most likely extinct.

Tried to get a decent fort built, but with only 6 dwarves we couldn't get work done very fast.

The dwarves do have nice bedrooms now though, and Monica and igorsprite got offices:

Also got to test out the trap hall, worked great, bambinex didn't die and we massacred the army that showed up - though some of them weren't affected by traps - I think they could fly or something and a couple stragglers never went all the way through the hall. they did all get stuck in there though, so we were able to get back on the surface and keep working until we had a bunch of visitors who were strong enough to clean up for us.
the aftermath

- the dark red boxes and the green static thing are the remaining army, they don't have textures since necromancer constructs are so new to the game and the tileset author hasn't made textures for them. The walls are absolutely covered in blood, vomit, and guts.

Anyway, guess its time to retire this fort - its not going to grow anytime soon - especially since Class without the CL is asexual, and since the shortest guy and F are bi they might not even marry a girl. also all of the visitors have been either intelligent undead or necromancers for a while, and we never once saw the elves.

I'll spend a bit more time setting up the next one instead of rushing to get something interesting set up in a day like I did for this mess of a fort.

also for future reference, If I were to get to a point of the game where there would be spoilers - the kind where even telling you that it is a spoiler is a spoiler, as its a surprise mechanic, would you guys want me to hide them or tell you about it. I can hide it and still do everything possible. the way this is set up I cant exactly have the spoilers happen because of choices you make though, due to the nature of them. Essentially really bad things happen and there's a way to avoid it, but you have to know the mechanic already to avoid it - if that makes sense.

z0z
can you explain further on the "really bad things?"
like is it just one terrible event or...?
Topic Starter
WitherMite

z0z wrote:

that would be spoilers tbh.

it is a fort ending catastrophe though - also known as "Fun" by the DF community. I can avoid it without spoiling, just asking if you guys would want to know about it or if I should hide the spoilers.
z0z

WitherMite wrote:

z0z wrote:

it is a fort ending catastrophe though. I can avoid it without spoiling, just asking if you guys would want to know about it or if I should hide the spoilers.
i mean if the event instantly ends the fort with not much to fight back, we should allow spoilers to at least not end the game suddenly
Topic Starter
WitherMite

z0z wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

z0z wrote:

it is a fort ending catastrophe though. I can avoid it without spoiling, just asking if you guys would want to know about it or if I should hide the spoilers.
i mean if the event instantly ends the fort with not much to fight back, we should allow spoilers to at least not end the game suddenly
It only happens when the player does a thing, I can avoid it and still do everything in the game, unless I mess up - which could happen I guess. also if we are prepared enough it is technically survivable.
z0z

WitherMite wrote:

z0z wrote:

WitherMite wrote:

z0z wrote:

It only happens when the player does a thing, I can avoid it and still do everything in the game, unless I mess up - which could happen I guess. also if we are prepared enough it is technically survivable.
we should know just in case
igorsprite

z0z wrote:

we should know just in case
ye