forum

Help getting a new keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Genjiu
Howdy everyone. This is my first forum post ever so I hope I don’t get criticized too much.
Anyways, the title is pretty self explanatory, but let me give you some context.
I’ve always played on a membrane keyboard and now I finally have enough money to get myself a mechanical one.
Unfortunately I can’t buy it online, only at the physical store (that means no ducky or other non-mainstream high quality keyboards pepehands).
Currently at the store I’m going to buy it from, the Razer BlackWidow elite (green switches only) and the Corsair strafe rgb (Cherry MX silent only) are both for sale at about €99.
I really don’t know which of these to choose. If I had to say the things I dislike they’d be the white backplate and open design that are somewhat ugly on the strafe, and the overly loud green switches on the blackwidow elite.
Other than that I’m all ears.
Edit: forgot to say the Razer Huntsman is another one of the available options, didn’t include it before cause I didn’t get to try the switches and I assumed the blackwidow elite was superior to the huntsman since since the huntsman elite wasn’t available.
Tad Fibonacci
If the prices are similar, then I think it's really up to personal preference. If possible, you should ask the store owner to let you try out the switches to see which one you'd feel more comfortable with.
But I've watched some review videos and people seems to really dislike the Razor Blackwidow elite.
Personally, I have a cherry MX blue keyboard and if the Cherry MX silent switch is similar to normal cherry MX switches then I think it's a great keyboard.
Topic Starter
Genjiu

tad01123 wrote:

If the prices are similar, then I think it's really up to personal preference. If possible, you should ask the store owner to let you try out the switches to see which one you'd feel more comfortable with.
But I've watched some review videos and people seems to really dislike the Razor Blackwidow elite.
Personally, I have a cherry MX blue keyboard and if the Cherry MX silent switch is similar to normal cherry MX switches then I think it's a great keyboard.

I did end up trying them, the Razer Greens felt like they could wake up someone in coma, while the Cherry MX silent just felt like regular reds but more silent, which is great, but the white backplate with that open design just turn me off(in case y’all dont get me I’ll just upload a picture of what I mean). I’m just waiting for what the majority of you guys is gonna recommend me before buying.
TruthIsNear
I've tried MX Silent Reds and they feel really mushy, like pushing your fingers into a sand. Also once you start playing they are not silent anymore, like not at all. You can even still hear the bottoming out sound through the headphones. That sound is just deeper. To me MX Reds and Silvers sound and feel way better.

Now about Corsair K70. That keyboard is just ughhh... It's ok, I guess, but definitely not worth €99. The keycaps are really cheap. They are slippery and the paint comes off after a while (not necessarily, depends on how you use your kb, but it's not resistant to that). Also the stabilizers are just awful. Especially the spacebar, which is all rattly. Well, to be fair the whole keyboard is really loud and that aluminium backplate doesn't help it.

After Corsair K70 I got Varmilo 108m (both on MX Speed Silvers) and it feels and sounds so much better.

Can't say anything about the Razer one since I haven't used it, but it's probably not any better.

Also how come you can't order online living in Italy? And don't you have Cooler Master boards in a local store? Those are pretty common to find there and would be a better choice compared to Razer and Corsair.
Topic Starter
Genjiu

TruthIsNear wrote:

I've tried MX Silent Reds and they feel really mushy, like pushing your fingers into a sand. Also once you start playing they are not silent anymore, like not at all. You can even still hear the bottoming out sound through the headphones. That sound is just deeper. To me MX Reds and Silvers sound and feel way better.

Now about Corsair K70. That keyboard is just ughhh... It's ok, I guess, but definitely not worth €99. The keycaps are really cheap. They are slippery and the paint comes off after a while (not necessarily, depends on how you use your kb, but it's not resistant to that). Also the stabilizers are just awful. Especially the spacebar, which is all rattly. Well, to be fair the whole keyboard is really loud and that aluminium backplate doesn't help it.

After Corsair K70 I got Varmilo 108m (both on MX Speed Silvers) and it feels and sounds so much better.

Can't say anything about the Razer one since I haven't used it, but it's probably not any better.

Also how come you can't order online living in Italy? And don't you have Cooler Master boards in a local store? Those are pretty common to find there and would be a better choice compared to Razer and Corsair.

Oof I said Strafe rgb not k70, there’s no aluminum plate so that’s not the issue, the thing I said turned me off on the strafe is the fact that you can see the board underneath the keys aka open. Anyways, I can’t order due to the fact that they cost more on amazon and I’d have to pay taxes, since, well, italy has the highest taxes out of any country in the world, so I’d be off cheaper by just buying it physically.
Other than that, there were some coolermaster ones, but they were those really cheap ones that come in combo with a mouse and weren’t even mechanical.
So my only options are the strafe rgb(only Cherry MX silent), blackwidow elite (only green switches)and huntsman (normal).
If possible I’d gladly take any recommendations for any other keyboard to get in the future (as you said coolermaster and other brands) but for now, these are the only ones available.
lewski

TruthIsNear wrote:

Now about Corsair K70. That keyboard is just ughhh... It's ok, I guess, but definitely not worth €99. The keycaps are really cheap.

Yeah, they really suck. I've had three of them break during the year I've had this thing. At least it came with a few sturdier keycaps, but they kind of ruin the aesthetic and feel very different from the regular ones.
TruthIsNear

Genjiu wrote:

Oof I said Strafe rgb not k70

I actually looked it up and thought those were the same keyboards since they look similar with wristrests attached. Oh well, keycaps and stabilizers are still the same.

I'd personally get huntsman out of those ones just because it looks the best to me (I like the classic rectangular case and the keycap font is nice), but I don't know if the switches it has are any good.

And I wouldn't buy blackwidow elite since it's case sticks too much on the bottom and top.

Strafe RGB is fine if you actually like the switches. But the lack of different switches makes it hard to choose.

As for Cooler Master I meant their Masterkeys series.

Genjiu wrote:

I’d gladly take any recommendations for any other keyboard to get in the future

I really recommend Varmilo VA108M/VA87M (they also have a lot of different very nice looking keycap sets to choose from) and Ducky One 2/RGB Mini/Shine 7 (RGB actually looks amazing on those).
Tad Fibonacci
I’d gladly take any recommendations for any other keyboard to get in the future
Well, personally I haven't tried out many mech keyboards but the one I'm currently using is the Coolermaster CMstorm Quickfire TK with cherry MX blue switches and it works really well.
I haven't gotten any problems using it for more than a year now so I definitely recommend it.
im flat
anything from corsair and razer are dogshit