forum

[Archived] Question About Name Changing to Old Names

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Eddie Benson
I have a question about names and name changes. I am currently looking into changing my name to simply Zora, but that name was taken. The person who currently has the name is not very active, but does come on occasionally every other month. I was wondering if it is possible to take someone's old name if they switch their name off of a certain name? So, if I contact the person who has the name I want and provide them with a name change, assuming they accept of course, would I be able to take that recently switched off of name or does it still count as their name so the cooldown applies?

I looked around in the forum about name switching, but I never saw anything about taking a name that someone had switched off of.

Thanks.
Death
In general you can take the name of an account that has been inactive for 6 months + 1 year per 500 playcount. If someone changes their name, the default wait period is 6 months. However there are a few additional, slightly more complicated restrictions that were recently added which also apply to people who have recently changed their name.

From what I understand, based on this:
If the current player with the username you are trying to change to has a ranked map, has a badge, or is below a certain rank ("username_lock_rank_limit" in that file) you can't take their name. This same rule applies to anyone whose previous username is the name you are trying to take.

I'm not entirely sure what that rank lock limit is though, the default is 100k but I believe that can be changed.

Either way, you will still need to wait a while to take the name after they switch even if none of those additional restrictions apply (or if my understanding of that bit of code is wrong, which is a possibility).