forum

I can't play without HD is this bad?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tonylowkey
Ever since I started playing 4-5 star maps I started playing with the mod HD because I saw how well Azer would play on it and thought why not use that too and follow his footsteps to get better. Since than I have only been playing HD and feel like I hit a wall when I'm playing 6-7 stars. I have completed plenty of hard maps and consider my self a consistent 6 star player.

Now the problem for me is that anytime I remove HD I literally can't read a thing it's confusing because of all the stacked notes when I'm used to them disappearing. Now the wall I hit when I'm playing in HD is that I could hit the hardest jumps just through sight reading but can't hit a stream for my life. I've been practicing streams but I could never get them down and I don't feel myself progressing just spamming stream maps.

Should I stop using HD for a bit and try streaming that way first? Are there any stream maps that I should be playing consistently to get them perfected? I feel like I got into the high level osu! in the wrong way and need some assistance.

UPDATE: So yea, I considered going back to basics without hd and it seems the best I can do is low 5 star and high 4 star. I obviously took the wrong route to learning this game and it sorta sucks that I can't play 6*+ anymore unless I use HD but I'll try my best to get back to it the hard way for me at least (lol). I just wanted to consider there being an alternative way to playing like maybe HD could be my main playstyle like nomod is for a lot of other peoples main playstyle but it seems I was wrong.
PinkNightmares
You might want to take a step back and learn how to play 5* properly first.
Deva
You got into the high level of osu the horrible way. You learned absolutely no basics and that's why you can't play anything properly.
mulraf
i know this might get me some hate but.. i don't see a big problem with that as long as you have fun playing hd only and don't want to get into normal tournaments any day.
if we took someone like idke and added hd to all his plays still everyone would think he's a god and his plays would give even more pp.
personally i used to play a lot hd too, not as much as you, just like maybe 70% of my plays. then there was a guide i read on becoming better on hr which told me to not use hdhr but just hr on it's own. i noticed that after a bit of time my accuracy went up considerably (from ~90% to ~98%) which made up for the pp loss of not having hd and i chocked a bit less. but other than that i didn't notice any major changes. the walls are still there regardless of hd or nomod in my case. i think you might want to look for other possible reasons and methods too like going back to 4* since your 5* plays are all on the most pp-farmy 5* jump maps. not sure if that would help, just my 2 cents.
Tad Fibonacci
I mean i gives more Performance Points than with no mods so I guess it's good?
Heck I can't play anything WITH hidden lol
Almost
Play some EZ mod. It's probably the best way to solve all your problems.
WillCookie

Deva wrote:

You got into the high level of osu the horrible way. You learned absolutely no basics and that's why you can't play anything properly.

well, i guess i learned how to play osu the wrong way then.
Deva

WillCookie wrote:

Deva wrote:

well, i guess i learned how to play osu the wrong way then.

I said the horrible way not the wrong way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you sink enough hours into osu you can get good with any play style
Mentally Insane
That's not terrible, but I think you should probably learn to play without hd first. I say this because if you ever get to the 7 star marathon maps, you might not be able to pass them. But IDK. You might be able to pass them bc idk you. But gl either way.
VinZentVanDough
It's not entirely bad but not entirely good as well.

If you want to play in a tourney, then you should learn nomod.

As for your usual gameplay, things such as marathon maps, alternating, and tech will be a problem. A map with complex rhythm and low ar will be a nightmare with hidden.

The upside would be more pp and if you become really good at HD, you can pull of crazy reading or acc scores.
nightcat_yoshi
It's not wrong to play HD, it's just a harder and a steeper learning curve.

I am a HD player as well, I started playing osu last year, I enjoy HD a lot and I just stick to it, it becomes a lot harder when moving on to 6 stars, but I continued to practice and now I finally passed my first 8 star map.

It doesn't really matter that much, as long as you enjoy the game. If it starts to get hard, just slow down the pace and don't get too stressed on not passing high star maps.

P.S. I am not gonna turn off HD as well XD
Aizuuya

nightcat_yoshi wrote:

It's not wrong to play HD, it's just a harder and a steeper learning curve.

I am a HD player as well, I started playing osu last year, I enjoy HD a lot and I just stick to it, it becomes a lot harder when moving on to 6 stars, but I continued to practice and now I finally passed my first 8 star map.

It doesn't really matter that much, as long as you enjoy the game. If it starts to get hard, just slow down the pace and don't get too stressed on not passing high star maps.

P.S. I am not gonna turn off HD as well XD
You... do realize this was 4 years ago, right? I dont understand how people even find these posts to do this...
Simon12

Yuunagi Ichika wrote:

You... do realize this was 4 years ago, right? I dont understand how people even find these posts to do this...
They probably look it up manually via a search engine
like this for example: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=I+can%27t+play+with+HD+is+this+bad+osu&t=h_&ia=web
show more