forum

What do you think of the new Cherry MX Speed switches ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
staticV3
Only rechently Corsair launched their existing keyboards (K70, K95, Strafe, etc.) with Cherrys new "MX Speed" switches, which essentially are shorter, quicker MX Reds.
As the majority of professional osu! players use Reds right now (as i take from this spreadsheet http://bit.ly/1qISTxr ), mainly for their ability to press them more rapidly, compared to Blues for example, wouldn't they benefit from those new switches, as the actuation point aswell as the overall travel distance are much shorter ?

What do you guys think, are the new Speed switches gonna turn into a trend, or will most people stick to using Reds ?

MX Speeds: ( http://bit.ly/1qIUrr2 )

MX Reds: ( http://bit.ly/1qIUyTt )

fb39ca4
They still have the same total travel distance, so it isn't going to increase one's streaming speed.
Full Tablet
Based on the force curves, theoretically:
- If using a "floating" technique (pressing the keys just the right amount to actuate them, not bottoming out), the MX Speed are about 40% more efficient in terms of energy needed per press and press-release cycle.
- If bottoming out, considering both the extra stiffness of the MX Speed (makes it less efficient), and the shorter travel (makes it more efficient), the MX Speed switches are about 10% less efficient than MX Red in terms of energy needed to press the key, but are about 40% more efficient per press-release cycle (since the spring "assists" in the lifting of the key).

This doesn't take into account the work needed to move the fingers/hands/arm and the energy required to maintain the muscles tense enough to play (so, in practice, the relative differences between the switches would be much lower). However, shorter travel distance is likely more efficient for body movement work as well.

The reaction speed increase from shorter actuation travel is irrelevant for osu! (the players have several hundreds of milliseconds between seeing the notes and pressing them, so they don't actually react by pressing as fast as possible).

How the switch properties affects press-release cycle repeat rate is more complex. Since people usually can flex their fingers faster than they can extend them, shifting the stress from lifting fingers to flexing them would make the player press-release keys faster. That would make switches with stiffer springs be faster (but, since stiffer springs tend to have more hysteresis loss per cycle, they are less efficient in terms of energy required).
EB3K
I've heard that cherry mx speed 'feels' like it needs more force to press down. By 'feel' I mean people feel it that way...
Anyway, speed switches are $10 more expensive and only available in... Like... The US. I tried to get one in Japan but they werent available.
Btws... Can u believe that the logitech g910 is the bestseller in japan??? Its the most popular... Legit...

Anyway, all i can say is that i dont recommend it. For osu, get red or blue.

Tbh, i dont know wat speed feels like... I cnt judge till i feel it.
mizuki-chan
I dont think that its gonna be hyped for osu players... maybe some people get them, some dont
I am pressing down the buttons all the way to the bottom on every single hit, so i dont bother about the speedys
I dont want to get used to new buttons too...
Astrafe
I have cherry mx speeds. They feel lighter than reds, you can feel this 3.5mm of travel and 1.2mm is just like 2.0mm in gameplay. The singletap is faster, when you compare them to reds but in streaming i cant see the difference. If you can buy them, just do it. If you dont have money just take reds. This is my opinion :P
loszka_z_osu
ik its an old thread but hey

fb39ca4 wrote:

They still have the same total travel distance, so it isn't going to increase one's streaming speed.
they have shorter travel distance which is even shown on the graph

the shorter travel distance is nice, its pretty much like normal switches with orings without the 'dampened' feeling. The shorter actuation distance is also noticable. At first i was hitting way too soon, had to adjust my reading and applied 5ms global offset. they r pretty much superior to reds.