forum

Retrying beatmap reverts to default theme [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fennekki
When retrying a beatmap with a SkinPreference set to an installed skin other than "default" and has no skin bundled with it, the skin reverts to default (or whichever skin the player has set as their default skin) upon retrying. (Presumably, the skin reverts to default even when the beatmap already uses the default skin - but this would be rather hard to confirm via testing.)

This is very simple to reproduce.
  1. Take a beatmap that uses non-default SkinPreference (I tested with this map which uses SkinPreference:okami and this one, which uses SkinPreference:Touhou)
  2. Start playing the beatmap in Osu mode as normal
  3. At any point after starting open the menu and press "Retry". (Failing and retrying works as well.)
  4. The beatmap now uses the skin set in the Settings menu instead of its preferred skin
Not really a massive issue but I have not noticed this occurring before b20130220. With my retry counts I certainly believe I would have. Overall a pretty small but strange thing.
- Remilia
Explain the issue you are having:
when i change a skin for beatmap in [song setup]->[storybroading] then test it on editor , the skin was success loaded, and i retry it , the skin automatic change to default skin.

Is it reproducible? If so, explain the steps to do so:

1. change a NOT default skin in [song setup]->[storybroading]
2. test beatmap on editor and retry
3. skin change to default

Include any relevant video or screenshots, and hardware information for hard crashes or lag issues:
I think it's not need screenshots. XD
Froztic
i can confirm this, also happen outside the editor.
theowest
merged
Alpha Kitten
Explain the issue you are having:
When you retry a song the beat sound changes

Is it reproducible? If so, explain the steps to do so:

1. Start cirno's perfect math class
2. Fail map and hit RETRY.
3. osu! beat sound changes

Include any relevant video or screenshots, and hardware information for hard crashes or lag issues:

TheVileOne
Bug

Map that has a set preferred skin will revert to your skin upon retry.

1.Use a skin
2.Play a map with preferred skin set (such as the one the OP mentioned)
3.Retry
Magic!
theowest
It's not just about the hitsounds, here's the full story:

Your first try with a skinned map will always be using the beatmap's skin. Now if the skin doesn't cover everything, your next try will start using your own skin.
It doesn't matter if you fail and retry or just pause and retry. If you play after you've once played, you will end up with your own skin's skin.ini settings (which usually happens, even while editing/spectating), so to fully experience the default skin of a skinned map, you have to play it for the first time.

First try:

Second try:

I've skinned out the follow points (basically skin elements which the beatmap forgot to include) and made the slidertrack black (which is a part of the skin.ini settings) and I start to hear my own hitsounds (which is why this topic was made)

edit: I'm pretty sure this is related to this bug t/119582
but it's replicated without even having to use the "ignore skin", just by playing

here's a screenshot of that when I were spectating myself on a map I haven't even played once:

so thanks to the "ignore skin" while spectating myself, I'm now able to play it without many of the beatmap's skin elements and with my skin.ini settings.

The first example I used had sliderborder defined, so it didn't use my slidertrack colour settings on the first try, which is the case on pretty much all other beatmaps.
TheVileOne
It's not that. Some beatmaps don't let you change the skin period even if it shows User preference as set.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/152213

Yes I've played the map before.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the definition of user preference.

Edit: And the bug the OP mentions is a legit bug.
theowest
that's because the map has a beatmap skin, in order for you to see your own skin you have to use the "ignore skin option", but for everthing else, it will start using your skin after a retry.
TheVileOne
This song does not do such things. I think your hypothesis is incorrect. Retrying has no effect on whether or not your skin overrides a map's skin or not. I know, I retried on that map and it didn't do it. Also your theory for regular maps is incorrect, because my skin appears immediately.

The problem in the OP is the map prefers default, and retrying changes it from default to using your skin. If the map has a skin it wont override usually, retry or no retry.
Saten
Here's what happening

What theo said is true

As you can see, it's all the skin elements I have in my skin which wasn't included in the beatmap folder.

Why don't you just test it for once :p
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/70027
peppy
Please re-test on test build. I may have broken any other combination of skin loading, so thorough testing would be very appreciated.
iotku
Seems to be fixed on the test build, but my osu! skin changed when I went out of a beatmap that loaded a different skin.
Froztic
skin load on retrying was fixed
(also with any skin set SkinPreferred)

though i can't test hitsound, i've never used them so no idea what meant to be work properly.
Saten
The hitsounds got fixed as well