forum

[Rule]Video Audio Track Must be Removed to Conserve Space

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I thought this was a rule or at least a guideline until I checked the Wiki and it's not anywhere on it.

Strict Version: Does not consider any useful purpose for keeping a video's audio track

If a beatmap contains a video, that video's audio must be removed to reduce filesize. Muting the audio does not count as removing the audio track.

Less Strict version:

If a beatmap contains a video, that video's audio track should be removed to reduce filesize unless insert x reason here. A muted audio track serves no purpose and must be removed.

I suggest the Strict version if there is no good reason to have a video with sound, and the less strict version if there is any reason for it. A side note on the less strict version: It would be nice to point out specifically what leaving the audio with the video is used for and make all other reasons unrankable.

Edit: Cleaned up the phrasing of both.
Makar
Uh, stupid question but, what can audio in a video possibly be used for? I thought the main reason for not allowing it was because it had no purpose?
Ekaru
If this really isn't on the wiki, then the strict version should be added since that's the current rule.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I thought it was a rule as well. But apparently several rules never made it on the wiki from the forum. This must be one of them, because there's only two rules about video's and this isn't one of them.
Sakura
Yeah i could swear this was there, guess this is one of those "Everyone knows it but we forgot to add" rules, although i think the wording could be a bit friendlier.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I don't know if I can word it any better than that. I'm not entirely sure how the start of it should be phrased since there are only two rules based on video. It could just be A video's audio track must be removed to reduce filesize. Muting the audio does not count as removing the audio track.
Makar

TheVileOne wrote:

It would be nice to point out specifically what leaving the audio with the video is used for and make all other reasons unrankable.
I still would like to know what it is used for
Topic Starter
TheVileOne

Makar wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

It would be nice to point out specifically what leaving the audio with the video is used for and make all other reasons unrankable.
I still would like to know what it is used for
Beats me. I didn't think there was a purpose, but I didn't want to get yelled at by the forum audience if there was a reason that I didn't mention.
HakuNoKaemi
osu! don't even play a videos audio plus the audio only reduce the framerate
Makar
In that case just stick with the strict version lol
Nessuka
Not everyone can re-render videos accurately you know.
Ephemeral

Ijah wrote:

ffmpeg -vn <filename>

and you're done!
ztrot
pretty sure there are enough free programs or users that are more that willing to help in this matter too.
HakuNoKaemi

Ijah wrote:

Ask others, I usually do it in my I mod