forum

[web] Let's talk about Search.php and Google Custom Search

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
theowest
Most people will probably have to search something on this site and when you're new to a website you look for the most obvious search field. In this case, it's the Google Custom Search. It's big and it's right next to the user and beatmap search. So why wouldn't this be the most optimal search?
IMHO, the only thing it's good for is finding users, works a whole lot better than the users search field tbh. Shouldn't the users search field work best for that?

The problem with this search field is that it isn't really what they were looking for. The information is unsorted, isn't inaccurate and in most cases, they're just looking for a thread where someone or something was mentioned.

Now what they really would want is something more of the lines of this search (search.php), a detailed forum search:

I suggest switching out the Google custom search with the better search option or just make the search.php search more apparent.

Any suggestions? Comments? Questions?

SPOILER
Here's a recent victim:

and another one

I too haven't known about search.php for very long.
those
Yes.
Wishy
The whole search system@osu website is bad, not only that. There are lots of examples, for instance, if you search "cant" in beatmaps you won't get any result unless you put the apostrophe, therefore getting "can't" (it could assume cant = can't), then there are some maps that are impossible to find if you only know, for example, the song's name. A few days ago there was one guy asking in #osu about La Di Da's artist since he couldn't find it. If you search for "la di da" you get no results at all, even when there's a song called EXACTLY like that. There is no textual search either (like you got@Google using ").
Sakura
Is it just me or did google custom search get an improvement? it used to send me to google, but now it appears on the site, with beatmap thumbnails and stuff.
Topic Starter
theowest

Sakura wrote:

Is it just me or did google custom search get an improvement? it used to send me to google, but now it appears on the site, with beatmap thumbnails and stuff.
oh yeah. I remember when it was like that. Yes, it got changed a loooong time ago!
Sakura
Guess it shows that i barely use it, haha xD