forum

Use of thumb.png in map folders

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +132
Topic Starter
those
In the case of multiple backgrounds or Taiko backgrounds in a folder, setting a thumb.png would fix the thumbnail on the website to that image as the preview picture. If thumb.png isn't present, then the mapset will take the background of the difficulty the map is submitted on. This way it will be easier for mappers who want a specific thumbnail as the preview picture on the website and osu!direct.

Thoughts?
Makar
All of my yes.

I used to have a problem with having a taiko BG as a preview BG on my Hikari map. I had to fix it by storyboarding the taiko BG on the taiko and using the main bg instead, but not everybody thinks of this or doesn't want to bother with it.
Luna
yes (sadly, I'm out of stars)
theowest
Oh yes. This is what osu needs.
Enna Alouette
yes yes >.< ! I'm supporting this ~
BeatofIke
I support this as well.
Flanster
YES! Totally supporting this.

Its really annoying when the taiko BG gets set as thumbnail.Its a pretty good idea, though instead use a JPG image instead, doesnt support transparency and its smaller.
Wow this is what we really need +1
Bass
Yep, setting up thumbnail would be nice.
lolcubes
While I do agree with this idea, it also has one major problem. It is easily abused. For ranked beatmaps, or beatmaps that get modded, this can be fixed, however there are just ridiculous amount of beatmaps which don't fit in either criteria. Seeing as how certain people really like to abuse stuff, this could become a problem.
deadbeat
sorry for such a silly question, but can you explain how this would be abused
i bet its something obvious
lolcubes
Someone uploads a map X. It has either no BG or a normal BG.
Stuff which can happen: He uploads it like that, lets say a with a normal BG. He puts an explicit thumbnail (this is easy to check, since you see it in the thumbnail). This is abuse case #1.
But what if he uploads it with a normal BG and puts a different thumbnail which isn't explicit, and background is? There is no way to know for sure until you check it out yourself in the game. Not a single person checks *every single map* out there and thats why I say it could be a problem. This is abuse case #2 which is also the real problem.
Seeing how certain people abuse certain other things, which eventually gets fixed or changed, this is the reason why am I so sceptic about this, since there is no way to know immediately if such a thing is occuring or not.
Sakura

lolcubes wrote:

But what if he uploads it with a normal BG and puts a different thumbnail which isn't explicit, and background is? There is no way to know for sure until you check it out yourself in the game. Not a single person checks *every single map* out there and thats why I say it could be a problem. This is abuse case #2 which is also the real problem.
You know, this is the first thing i thought of when i saw this feature request, it's already annoying dealing with explicit content on multiple background sets when they arent in the thumbnail, now imagine if mappers were allowed to hide it.
peppy
This is already added in the osu!stream beatmap format, and I hope to port it back eventually.
lolcubes
That's great to hear. I just hope it doesn't get abused, because I really like the idea myself.
Topic Starter
those
That's a potential problem, I agree.

What if thumb.png was defined by website submission only and each of them pends moderation? I suppose staff has time to look through a few images every once in a while.

What if it was limited to star icon+ maps?

Edit: wow I got ninja'd by 7 minutes.
Sakura
There's still quite a few benefits to it, like Taiko mappers with a Taiko mapset being able to upload a non black bar thumbnail to the site, so it looks better.
Makar

lolcubes wrote:

Someone uploads a map X. It has either no BG or a normal BG.
Stuff which can happen: He uploads it like that, lets say a with a normal BG. He puts an explicit thumbnail (this is easy to check, since you see it in the thumbnail). This is abuse case #1.
Seeing how certain people abuse certain other things, which eventually gets fixed or changed, this is the reason why am I so sceptic about this, since there is no way to know immediately if such a thing is occuring or not.
People already have the ability to do this by using a normal BG but explicit SB, so it won't really make a difference between how things are now and if this was implemented.
[Dellirium]
1. Place a normal image for a thumbnail.
2. Disable background image with SB.
3. Place taiko bg using storyboard.
4. Problem solved!
ziin
thumb.jpg please
Saten

ziin wrote:

thumb.jpg/.png please
pretty please~
I think it'll be better if .jpg is used instead of .png because of it's smaller filesize but this is just my opinion o.o
Saten
160×120

Are you really that picky?
Kuroneko-sHerald
No star to support :(
About abusing, what about adding new rule like "Thumb must be the same of your BG. If map has multiple BGs, thumbs must be choosen among your BGs. Other images are not allowed" or something similar?
jemhuntr

Kuroneko-sHerald wrote:

No star to support :(
About abusing, what about adding new rule like "Thumb must be the same of your BG. If map has multiple BGs, thumbs must be choosen among your BGs. Other images are not allowed" or something similar?
same thumbs and bgs are pointless
Kuroneko-sHerald

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

same thumbs and bgs are pointless
This thread is for allowing people to choose what BG should be shown, when there is more than one BG, on the thumbnail on website, not for having a random picture.

those wrote:

In the case of multiple backgrounds or Taiko backgrounds in a folder
jemhuntr
oh sorry I thought it was for allowing a different thumb from the bg