forum

[Archived] XP Pen Tablets & Their Drawing Area

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NCSledge
So I recently bought a new tablet, an Artist 15.6 Pro. I make professional art and also play Osu! a fair bit.
I figured that since XP Pen makes an Osu!-specific tablet, their more expensive ones would do well for Osu! as well. Boy was I wrong.

This 400$ tablet does not have the basic feature to resize the work/play area. I'm used to playing on a very tiny area, only about an inch high. So far my work around has been to increase the sensitivity in-game, but it still requires too much movement. I also can't move my play area to a corner like I originally wanted, so I'm lightly hovering in the center so I don't mess with the screen too much. (The second point is moreso a picky thing, but still, its a 400$ tablet.) It's honestly as if I have to relearn how to play Osu! with my right hand due to bad drivers.

As for what I'm asking: Has anyone found a way to resize/move the work area for those tablets? Or a better workaround? It's uncomfortable, physically and mentally, and annoying since breaking through 6digits is gonna get postponed a lot with that handicap.
Kishuya

ncsledge2 wrote:

So I recently bought a new tablet, an Artist 15.6 Pro. I make professional art and also play Osu! a fair bit.
I figured that since XP Pen makes an Osu!-specific tablet, their more expensive ones would do well for Osu! as well. Boy was I wrong.

This 400$ tablet does not have the basic feature to resize the work/play area. I'm used to playing on a very tiny area, only about an inch high. So far my work around has been to increase the sensitivity in-game, but it still requires too much movement. I also can't move my play area to a corner like I originally wanted, so I'm lightly hovering in the center so I don't mess with the screen too much. (The second point is moreso a picky thing, but still, its a 400$ tablet.) It's honestly as if I have to relearn how to play Osu! with my right hand due to bad drivers.

As for what I'm asking: Has anyone found a way to resize/move the work area for those tablets? Or a better workaround? It's uncomfortable, physically and mentally, and annoying since breaking through 6digits is gonna get postponed a lot with that handicap.

Well I think XP-Pen is known for more budget osu tablets that are Quality for the game. If you want to change your area, you could try using the Hawku drivers as they are compatible with alot of tablets
Death
It doesn't say this tablet is supported in the list of tablets that those drivers support, so I don't think downloading those will work. Not to mention using those probably makes drawing more difficult as it seems to be optimized for gameplay (the opposite of what the official tablet drivers are optimized for).

According to the manual that I looked up, it looks like you may be able to change the monitor mapping area? If that is the case you could try decreasing osu!'s resolution and then changing the mapping to match that. I think that should feel the same as increasing your sensitivity. Decreasing osu!'s resolution alone might even work actually.
Topic Starter
NCSledge

Death wrote:

It doesn't say this tablet is supported in the list of tablets that those drivers support, so I don't think downloading those will work. Not to mention using those probably makes drawing more difficult as it seems to be optimized for gameplay (the opposite of what the official tablet drivers are optimized for).

According to the manual that I looked up, it looks like you may be able to change the monitor mapping area? If that is the case you could try decreasing osu!'s resolution and then changing the mapping to match that. I think that should feel the same as increasing your sensitivity. Decreasing osu!'s resolution alone might even work actually.

Yea, Hawku doesn't support my tablet yet. As per drawing and Osu, changing the settings isn't that hard, only a few checkmarks.

I've switched Osu! to 1600x900, and am playing at 6* sensitivity. That's about as close as I can get it. :/ I'll see if I have some money to spare to buy their dumb 30$ tablet... Can't believe they dont offer a basic feature like that in a 400$ tablet, especially since the Intuos and similar tablets in that price range have that proper mapping.

I'll stay open to suggestions.
Death
Maybe there is some super secret way of changing it that their support knows about. XP Pen's official support should know more about their tablet and software than anyone on these forums do (hopefully).
Topic Starter
NCSledge

Death wrote:

Maybe there is some super secret way of changing it that their support knows about. XP Pen's official support should know more about their tablet and software than anyone on these forums do (hopefully).

I asked them and unironically they referred me to the "fine-details mode", which actually does the opposite of what I asked for. Then, in defense they stated they'll let their R&D know. I find it kind of ridiculous, seeing as they already have that stuff out for their other tablets.