forum

A-B repeat mod [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
shilawen
There are many songs that have long,easy introductions, then a sudden burst of streams or jumps. Those bursts come at high speeds and are often intricate, causing an instant fail. To practice just that burst zone, I have to play the entire song from the beginning again each time.

It would be nice to have an A-B repeat mod, where you can choose the time position in the song when you want to start, and the position when you want to end. Then it would loop that section continuously until we pressed escape. The mod would of course be unranked. An additional feature would be to slow down the music by varying degrees to help decode complicated steps. I would eliminate the waiting time for songs where you can't skip the intro as well as the parts of the song you already know how to play.

This is a feature from DDR that helped me manage to get through difficult songs.
winber1
this has been asked many times. peppy disagrees with any sort practice mode.

This wil probably get immediately denied.

If you want to practice, just edit the maps so that only the hard part is there. I do that sometimes to practice like that. If you don't know how to use edit, well, I guess you have to learn. :/

But, yea, practice modes are probably never going to be implemented.
Topic Starter
shilawen
Sorry its been asked before, I searched the request forum with the "repeat" keyword and nothing relevant came up.

Well, seeing as this is his project and he gets to do whatever he wants with it, there's nothing to do than learn to edit I suppose. Might I ask the reasoning behind his disapproval?

Being a mouse only player, I find it very hard to practice songs beyond the hard level because I can't spam click quicker than players using keyboards and I can't jump as smoothly as people using tablets.

edit: this thread can be closed, how do I close it?
blissfulyoshi
Usually a moderator will just the deny the topic, and that will end it.

Here is an example of a duplicate: p/1631967 , but for the most part, I agree with what winber1 says.

As for the reasoning, I don't remember exactly, but from my memory (please do not quote this) the reason was because osu! was supposed to be similar to arcades where you don't have an option to test a map. You have to go right in and execute the song you see in front of you.
peppy
If you wish to practice play maps, you are welcome to use the editor test mode.
Topic Starter
shilawen

peppy wrote:

If you wish to practice play maps, you are welcome to use the editor test mode.
This is close enough to what I need. Thanks