forum

[Archived] Need help getting osu to open beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sjohnsontg
Problem details:

So after formatting my pc for more space, I redownloaded osu and all of my beatmaps onto my hardrive. Osu opens up no problem but when I go to play, none of my beatmaps are loaded in. I have osu and the beatmaps in the same folder. I even put the beatmaps inside another folder in the folder and still nothing. So far it looks like I have to manually open up every beatmap individually. How do I make it to where the beatmaps open with osu without any problem.
Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20171225.2
- Marco -
Are the beatmaps inside the Songs folder or inside the same folder where osu!.exe is? Because the beatmaps will be imported only on the Songs folder
Topic Starter
sjohnsontg

- Marco - wrote:

Are the beatmaps inside the Songs folder or inside the same folder where osu!.exe is? Because the beatmaps will be imported only on the Songs folder[/quote

[quote="- Marco -"]Are the beatmaps inside the Songs folder or inside the same folder where osu!.exe is? Because the beatmaps will be imported only on the Songs folder

its in the same folder as osu.exe but I really need it to stay off my pc because I have very little space (25 gb) 60% of it being taken by the system itself.

So is there a way to create a sound folder in my hardrive?
Death
Okay, let's slow down here a bit because getting your beatmaps to appear in game and moving their location to some other place on your computer are two different things that require two different solutions. It's better to get them working one at a time. Also, I'm not entirely sure how you plan on saving space if you are keeping your osu! folder on the same drive. Unless you move your Songs folder to a different drive, you won't magically gain space just by moving it. Nonetheless, I'll explain how to do it.

There is a "Songs" folder inside your osu! folder that Marco mentioned. All of your beatmaps need to be inside that folder. If your maps are not appearing in game, press F5 on the beatmap selection screen. That should cause all of them to load into the game.

---

In order to move your Songs folder to somewhere else, you need to find and edit the "osu!.pcname.cfg" file that's inside your osu! folder. One of the lines in that file is BeatmapDirectory, which allows you to specify a custom directory for your beatmaps. This directory can be in any location on your computer, it can even be on a different drive if that is something you wanted. Your beatmaps will need to be located in whatever path you set this line to if you choose to change it.

Alternatively, you can move your entire osu! folder to whatever location you want to and create a shortcut to the executable so it can be ran easily. The Songs directory takes up most of the space in your osu! folder, so moving the rest of the files doesn't really have that big of an impact. This would also prevent you from needing to modify any config files.
Topic Starter
sjohnsontg

Death wrote:

Okay, let's slow down here a bit because getting your beatmaps to appear in game and moving their location to some other place on your computer are two different things that require two different solutions. It's better to get them working one at a time. Also, I'm not entirely sure how you plan on saving space if you are keeping your osu! folder on the same drive. Unless you move your Songs folder to a different drive, you won't magically gain space just by moving it. Nonetheless, I'll explain how to do it.

There is a "Songs" folder inside your osu! folder that Marco mentioned. All of your beatmaps need to be inside that folder. If your maps are not appearing in game, press F5 on the beatmap selection screen. That should cause all of them to load into the game.

---

In order to move your Songs folder to somewhere else, you need to find and edit the "osu!.pcname.cfg" file that's inside your osu! folder. One of the lines in that file is BeatmapDirectory, which allows you to specify a custom directory for your beatmaps. This directory can be in any location on your computer, it can even be on a different drive if that is something you wanted. Your beatmaps will need to be located in whatever path you set this line to if you choose to change it.

Alternatively, you can move your entire osu! folder to whatever location you want to and create a shortcut to the executable so it can be ran easily. The Songs directory takes up most of the space in your osu! folder, so moving the rest of the files doesn't really have that big of an impact. This would also prevent you from needing to modify any config files.

honestly ive confused myself. I should have said external harddrive. but I'm gonna tyr to install osu in my internal harddrive and see if I can now access the osu files.
I suck at forums lol. anyways gonna try this. brb
Death
You will still need to move your beatmaps into the installation on your external hard drive for them to appear in game, you are probably not going to be able to magically access them.
Topic Starter
sjohnsontg

Death wrote:

---

sjohnsontg wrote:

Death wrote:

---

honestly ive confused myself. I should have said external harddrive. but I'm gonna tyr to install osu in my internal harddrive and see if I can now access the osu files.
I suck at forums lol. anyways gonna try this. brb

ok so I go to file explorer>This Pc> OS (C:)>Program files (86x), and osu does seem to be anywhere in this file.
do I have to go somewhere else to access the osu files?
Death
The default installation path is C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\osu!
Topic Starter
sjohnsontg

Death wrote:

You will still need to move your beatmaps into the installation on your external hard drive for them to appear in game, you are probably not going to be able to magically access them.

honestly I feel dumb. I did somemore searching and ended up finding the osu files. brb with results

ok big brain moment I finally fixed it and got the songs inside the folder. so can I just move osu into the external harddrive no problem?
Death
Yes.

Sometimes you also need to re-run the installer and just point it toward the directory that you moved the game to in order to fix a few file associations, but sometimes that isn't necessary.