forum

osu!lazer: In Dire Need of Optimization

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace
I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this little rant of mine regarding the osu!lazer client, since it's related to its development and not off-topic.

I've been keeping track of osu!lazer's development for the past two years or so. I do like the modern look and feel, as well as some of the other interesting additions and adjustments (new opening sequence, animated skins, Daycore, etc). Alas, my biggest issue comes with the most important thing of all: the gameplay. The game is legitimately unplayable for me.

I run a relatively powerful computer, capable of running games like 'Divinity 2: Definitive Edition' and 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' on max quality with over 90 FPS. Consequently, I can also run classic osu! at over 1000 FPS on average. With osu!lazer, not only does the framerate drop under 60 FPS as soon as I move my cursor around, but it will often freeze up in mid-play and have major input lag, rendering it impossible for me to complete more intense maps. The performance of this new client has remained consistently unplayable ever since I started trying it out, even before I got this more powerful computer.

I understand that osu!lazer is still under development, and it has gone through vast improvements and renovations over time. Something needs to be done about these major performance issues, however, at least in my opinion. To support my opinion, I'm an aspiring software developer myself, and understand enough to know how rendering works (I've made and played with renderers in C from the ground up). Was there a reason for osu!lazer not to use the same structure for rendering that classic osu! uses? If anyone has an enlightened perspective on the matter, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you for reading.
SixBeeps
What do you think they've been trying to do for the past X years?
I agree that right now, the performance isn't there yet, but optimization a process that can take a very long time.
IIRC, osu!lazer and classic osu! use the same rendering engine, OpenTK, however there is a lot more stuff to render and a lot more instructions for the CPU to think about.

SOURCE: I have one of the versions of osu!lazer from GitHub on my computer.
abraker

Lemonfaace wrote:

Was there a reason for osu!lazer not to use the same structure for rendering that classic osu! uses?

I'm not sure it's specifically the rendering that is the issue slowing the game down. Regardless, classic osu!'s code is a mess the peppy expressed disgust over, so you can imagine that things would be redone complete from scratch. Be patient or help optimize it yourself.
Topic Starter
Lemonfaace

abraker wrote:

Lemonfaace wrote:

Was there a reason for osu!lazer not to use the same structure for rendering that classic osu! uses?

I'm not sure it's specifically the rendering that is the issue slowing the game down. Regardless, classic osu!'s code is a mess the peppy expressed disgust over, so you can imagine that things would be redone complete from scratch. Be patient or help optimize it yourself.

Certainly. I'll wait and observe future changes as they go along. I know I haven't shown any concrete examples or pinned sources of the performance issues, but I did want to voice my opinion to hopefully raise some attention to it. Of course, optimization is typically the last step in programming anything, but these flaws have persisted for quite some time now, as stated previously.

I hope you understand my perspective, and won't see it so much as impatience and/or arrogance.
Sick Like Me
I dont have any fps issues in lazer tbh, except for 1 second freeze that happens maybe once in couple hours. I think i got it locked to 120fps and it literally never moves
Aerath
Did you check which graphic card is used ? You probably have 2, one "discrete" (true one, usually from AMD or Nvidia) and one "integrated" (emulated by your CPU).
If it's from Nvidia, you can change it in Nvidia Control Panel (for Windows, Linux is a bit more complicated). I never owned a discrete AMD GPU so I don't know for this one.

I am currently playing DOS2 (DE edition) in medium quality (with everything enabled) at 60FPS (capped by display) and never had major issues with osu! nor osu!lazer. I sometimes experience a microfreeze once at the beginning of a play session (because my disk is still loading things) but nothing worse. My computer is a low-mid range laptop so not powerful at all (Nvidia 920MX).
cauann
Not only do I need it, but I must play it on a cell phone that runs call of duty at 60fps, but my laser use only runs 15/22 FPS. Plz update the game
Flanster

abraker wrote:

Be patient or help optimize it yourself.