Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zekira
Phoenix Wright is the main character

http://andriasang.com/con2kw/ace_attorney_5_tgs/
LuigiHann
Post-hobo Phoenix Wright looks awesome

http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... 31&t=23801

Wonder what happened to Apollo. The game is set a year after Apollo Justice, so presumably his story will be addressed. At the very least I expect Emma to be back.
Azure_Kite
Ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd.

But, I really don't want to buy a Japanese 3DS, and considering how Investigations 2 wasn't localised, I doubt anybody outside of Japan would get this.....
LuigiHann
I feel like the proper main-series entry starring the series's main character has slightly more mainstream appeal than a sequel to a spinoff. So I have hope, although I do agree it's not concrete
Drakari_old
I would love if this game came to America, and had such success that Capcom localized Invstigations 2.

I would also love winning the lottery, since that's got a pretty similar chance of occuring.

(Keep in mind, I don't buy lottery tickets.)

Anyway, I hope we get some closure on the Apollo Justice storyline. It had some pretty obvious sequel-bait in it that hasn't been built upon since.
Crimmi
Welcome back Phoenix! I guess he fulfilled his promise like he said he would in Apollo Justice.

but it would've been cool to play as both Phoenix & Apollo.
LuigiHann
Another bit of news from the Court Records forums

The Verge has translated an interview with Motohide Eshiro and Takeshi Yamazaki, the producer and director, respectively, of Gyakuten Saiban 5. In it, they discuss Phoenix's shift in design, returning characters, 3D, the theme of the game, and even Dark Payne. Some excerpts:

On Maya and the new assistant:
"Well, he she might be back at her home village for more training," Yamazaki laughed. "This new girl is certainly a key part of the story, but designing her was a pretty rough process. She looked almost alien-like at first, which was partly due to the fact that her background was a lot different than it is today. Yellow was always her theme color, though — she really has a drive to win, so in that respect she's a fair bit different than Maya."
On other returning characters:
Any other characters from previous games set to appear? "Well, the world setting is the same as the other Ace Attorney games," Eshiro noted, "so without going into detail on whether anyone appears or doesn't appear, I will say that the story is set in a world where they all exist."
On 3D:
"Part of the visual appeal of Ace Attorney stems from the fact that it's in 2D, after all," he explained. "We were limited in how many animation frames we could put in the first few games, so at first there were maybe only one or two variations on the 'Objection!' word balloon. That wound up giving the game this sense of speed and sharpness that we couldn't have gotten otherwise. To recreate that feel in 3D, we're deliberately messing with the pace, inserting pauses and skipping over other things. With 2D we played around with perspectives — drawing Phoenix's hand larger than usual when he's pointing at someone — and we're taking measures to recreate that sort of thing in 3D."
On the game's darker tone:
Phoenix's first case in the new Ace Attorney involves defending a sweet-looking little girl against accusations she set off a bomb that destroyed the courtroom where previous games have taken place. His first opposing prosecutor, the younger brother of Winston Payne: the punching bag that players have fought (and usually beaten soundly) in the first chapter of previous titles.

"He's a little bit more villainous than his brother," Yamazaki said, "the sort of guy who isn't afraid of using dirty tactics. Sort of a 'dark Payne,' in other words. The theme of this story overall is 'dark days in law'. Phoenix was talking about this in Apollo Justice a bit, along the lines of 'Dark days are coming for law, and we have to do something to fix it.' Partly because of that, this game begins with a courtroom bombing, to sort of symbolize that."
Ekaru
So uh

http://kotaku.com/5940820/report-ace-at ... o-the-west

Capcom better keep their damn word on this.
Seibei4211
So wait, when it says "3D", do they mean the depth thing on the 3DS or do they mean 3D models?
Azure_Kite
If you look at the links posted, there are screenshots. 3D models and Depth with 2d sprites seem to be both used.
Seibei4211
Screenshots? You mean a single, low-res screenshot posted in a link that already had most of the important information copy/pasted out of it? I can't believe I missed something so blatantly obvious.
Azure_Kite
I'm sorry you have to resort to sarcasm. Here, let me help you!

2D Sprites
Top Right, Payne's Darker Brother.

3D Models
Bottom Right/Judge is most prominent, but you can see phoenix is 3D, too
Seibei4211
I wouldn't have been sarcastic if you hadn't been condescending. I saw that 3D models screenshot, but the Dark Payne one is new to me. I didn't think they'd be doing a mix of 2D and 3D. That's weird.
bmin11
I was expecting a similar approach as the previous game with Apollo Justice, such as having a 3D rendering of the crime scene and animation of the crime etc etc. I'm not really fond for the 3D Phoenix Wright, but I think I'll get use to it anyway.
Drakari_old
Maybe he'll look better in actual 3D than just the screenshots? A game like this would be much easier to play while holding the 3DS at exactly the right distance and angle to get the effect.
Topic Starter
Zekira
Update on Ekaru's link:

Update: Capcom has confirmed to me that Ace Attorney 5 is indeed coming to the U.S. Here's their statement:

Capcom is planning to release Gyakuten Saiban 5 (Ace Attorney 5) in the West. We'll have more news soon.
LuigiHann
Some clean screenshots. They did a really great job making 3D art that matches the style of the original sprites.

Here's a shot from a cutscene and one that I believe shows the bottom screen during testimony:

Also, 3D lets them finally make these shots look nice:

rust45
Who's the new assistant? Do we know anything about her?
LuigiHann

rust45 wrote:

We basically don't know anything about her yet
foulcoon

rust45 wrote:

I'd hit it.

I like redheads!
LuigiHann
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s6UzCH00ac Some video with people talking over it... I really like that the 3D animations mimic the 2D sprite animations almost exactly, rather than going for more fluid 3D animation. Really consistent with the previous games' style while still looking amazing.

Also, on a related note, here are some nice videos from the Professor Layton/Ace Attorney crossover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pILQlSmm ... tube_gdata
Layton gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaVcR8q0 ... el&list=UL
Wright gameplay

Both of these demos seem to be based on scenes very early in the game, so it'll be interesting to see if the gameplay styles mix together more later in the game when the two characters start working together.

Also, I like how PLvsAA and AA5 have slightly different art styles despite being technically similar, with PLvsAA mimicking the original trilogy more and AA5 looking more like an evolution of the Apollo Justice art style. Similar, but slightly different.

It's also awesome that the talking beeps in PLvsAA vary by character, with Wright and Layton each using the beep sounds from their own game
Professor Prinny
Been a while since the last Ace Attorney game so i'm really psyched for this!

PW fans who don't have a 3DS yet should get one fast.
rust45

Found this little gem while browsing youtube. Trailer's really cool and the new assistant looks like she's able to somehow analyze witness emotions.
Azure_Kite
So her name's Kizuki kokone.....
jabberwockey
I am glad though I kinda wish they never made him into a hobo/ side-character in the first place, I didn't like that plot at all urghr :o