forum

Hovering techniques? [tablet]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
skibblesx
Okay so BEFORE I was looking for ways to drag the pen and still use Left & Right click. (if you press it down and drag its like you're holding down Left Click) but after some exploration, you can't do anything about it with Tablets. Oh okay.

But now Im willing to compromise and Im curious about some hover methods, when i try it I end up disconnecting or skimming along even though I hold it like a pencil with my hand on the tablet. is there any setting I can change or anything specific you guys do?

Thanks! ^^
gyorin
winber1
When I first got my tablet I tried hovering, and it felt extremely weird. All I did was keep playing for an hour or two and I basically got the hang of it. btw I hold it as if I am writing words or something (and I use a small tablet area).
Mythras
really sucked at first but i got used to it, still fucks me on super fast long jumps (and any val0108 map)
Soaprman
It definitely takes some getting used to, but stick with it. At first, I was disconnecting pretty often but nowadays it only happens rarely when I'm doing fast jumps or spinning. Maybe try changing your grip to something more comfortable to hover with... the grip I play osu! with is different from the grip I write/draw with.

If you wanted to stick with dragging, though, you could check "disable mouse buttons in play mode" in the options and use full keyboard for clicking. Not sure I'd recommend that, though, as it's needless wear on the tablet.
RaneFire
Only advice I can give is try drawing really large circles (like spinning, but not fast) keeping your pen nib as close to the surface as possible without touching. You look but no touch! Eventually no look no touch! ... both directions.
darkmiz

Soaprman wrote:

check "disable mouse buttons in play mode" in the options and use full keyboard for clicking.
this
WASSHOI

Soaprman wrote:

If you wanted to stick with dragging, though, you could check "disable mouse buttons in play mode" in the options and use full keyboard for clicking. Not sure I'd recommend that, though, as it's needless wear on the tablet.
This. I could never get used to hovering because I always would disconnect when doing jumps. So, I just stick to dragging, makes me feel more accurate too.
Topic Starter
skibblesx
But when I click "disable mouse clicks" it still does the same for tablet. I basically when i press down its as if Im pressing down on the tablet its acting like im holding left click. which results only me being able to right click.
Wishy
Just hover then, it's the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
winber1

Wishy22 wrote:

JesusYamato
i don't hover, i drag and i disable click.
Mithos
Hovering makes you go faster because you are not fussing over letting off of the tablet. It also helps keep the tablet lasting a while.
Niko

winber1 wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

I've been hovering ever since I bought a bamboo and had problems with disconnecting/accidential tapping only on the first days.
laport
dragging is such a drag. once you have to do some serious jumps you will have to let go
Mithos

laport wrote:

dragging is such a drag. once you have to do some serious jumps you will have to let go
I was wondering how long we would go before tapping into that pun

lets keep this going
Espionage724
I was hovering since day one, just felt right I guess :p I hold the pen like a pencil, and have it maybe a half-inch above the tablet, and I glide part of my hand on the tablet surface.
badvial

darkmiz wrote:

Soaprman wrote:

check "disable mouse buttons in play mode" in the options and use full keyboard for clicking.
this
Or press F10 to disable mouse buttons in game. This also takes care of the pen tapping.
Personally learn to hover! You have more freedom and mobility in the air. This might cost some accuracy and time but it's worth it!

I play full tablet, 1.5 sens, hover.
Happy I made the switch.
Nekoroll
Been hovering since day 1. I just see it as a pointing device, much like a mouse. For me, since I used my tablet for drawing (and still do), I am accustomed to using the full area. I think it helps because I am able to distinguish exactly what area of the tablet will make me lay right on top of a circle. All it is in general is muscle memory. You get used to it and start to equate your tablet with the screen itself and your keyboard hand as your mouse buttons.

I also agree that hovering is very cost efficient. I have friends who have tapped and their tablet's protective sheet has worn out and has holes in it. My tablet is around 6 years old (and I plan to keep it for many more years) and it still looks great except for the very middle of the active area which is slightly worn since I still make pen contact when I spin.
darkmiz

Nekoroll wrote:

since I still make pen contact when I spin.
You'll spin faster if you don't make contact.
nomen
Hovering ever since bought a tablet. Still I accidentaly tap on my tablet but even sometimes it registers a click while mouse buttons are disabled and results in slider breaks.
Luna

MOR wrote:

Happy I made the switch.
Always use sens 1.0 with tablet. It doesn't actually affect your sensitivity at all (since tablet works with absolute coordinates while sens is a multiplicator for relative movement), sensitivities other than 1.0 just cause little buggy movement issues with the cursor! (Try setting the sensitivity to max and see for yourself if you want to know what I mean)
badvial

Luna wrote:

MOR wrote:

Happy I made the switch.
Always use sens 1.0 with tablet. It doesn't actually affect your sensitivity at all (since tablet works with absolute coordinates while sens is a multiplicator for relative movement), sensitivities other than 1.0 just cause little buggy movement issues with the cursor! (Try setting the sensitivity to max and see for yourself if you want to know what I mean)
Oh yea.. LOL anything above like 1.7 is unplayable.

I already knew that but, just for the info.
I play 1.5sens only because the bamboo CTH-461 has some issues with full-tablet. For example. The sensitivity will not change not matter what region I put it at. Therefore, to correct the lack of speed. I use the sensitivity in game... :P

Just to let you know...
koromo

MOR wrote:

I play 1.5sens only because the bamboo CTH-461 has some issues with full-tablet. For example. The sensitivity will not change not matter what region I put it at. Therefore, to correct the lack of speed. I use the sensitivity in game... :P

Just to let you know...
Unless you play mouse mode, sensitivity has absolutely NOTHING to do with how fast your cursor is. Tablets use absolute tracking in pen mode, as Luna pointed out. The corner of your area is the corner of the screen, always, changing sensitivity won't make your arm/hand move faster to the corner. It's just a matter of how fast and accurate you are.

Anyway, if you want "higher sensitivity" with a tablet, try making your area smaller.
badvial

koromo wrote:

MOR wrote:

Just to let you know...
Unless you play mouse mode, sensitivity has absolutely NOTHING to do with how fast your cursor is. Tablets use absolute tracking in pen mode, as Luna pointed out. The corner of your area is the corner of the screen, always, changing sensitivity won't make your arm/hand move faster to the corner. It's just a matter of how fast and accurate you are.
You missed the point man.

Increasing tablet-area decreases speed for actual pen to tablet registration. Making it smaller should make it faster since it is less hand movement...
My tablet does not change the speed if I make it smaller.
Even in pen-mode, it does not change the speed.
I've already talked with bamboo about this.
They say that its a compatibility issue with my specific tablet.

In other words.
Instead of being able to POINT-TAP object on desktop(Moving to to the area on your desktop which is logically correct on your tablet and tapping a icon.).
It's more like a laptop touch pad...
Tom69_old

MOR wrote:

Increasing tablet-area decreases speed for actual pen to tablet registration. Making it smaller should make it faster since it is less hand movement...

In other words.
Instead of being able to POINT-TAP object on desktop(Moving to to the area on your desktop which is logically correct on your tablet and tapping a icon.).
That completely defeats the purpose of having a tablet. You should try getting another one or getting this one to work correctly, or you are basicly just a mouse user.
badvial

Tom69 wrote:

MOR wrote:

In other words.
That completely defeats the purpose of having a tablet. You should try getting another one or getting this one to work correctly, or you are basicly just a mouse user.
I've looked into a new bamboo, but I don' know where to get the newer style of series like the CTH-480 or the CTH-460. To be honest. I didn't see a difference between these two. :P
show more