Slider's follow circle size can be customised

posted
Total Posts

Read the message.

Agree.
48.28%
Disagree.
19.54%
Obligatory 'I don't have an opinion but will vote anyway' joke option.
32.18%
Total votes: 87
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
show more
MaxwellDemon
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Metroid
easily skinnalbe, awp's OEWY skin has a custom one and so do other skins.
Larto

Metroid wrote:

easily skinnalbe, awp's OEWY skin has a custom one and so do other skins.
I believe he actually mean the SIZE of the circle. Not just the looks.
He means if you can change the size of the area in which you can move the cursor while sliding without combobreaking.

I don't like that, actually.
LuigiHann
The circle that highlights the area around the slider ball is called the 'Slider Follow Circle."

Now please reword your request so that it makes some sense. I understand the problem you have, but I don't understand your solution.
adamskii_uk
Maybe a MOD could be added so that the Slider Follow Circle is completely removed and we have to keep the cursor inside the ball on a slider, otherwise we break the combo? If such a MOD were to be added, however, I think it should only have a very low multiplier, since only players with really good placement accuracy would be able to use it well, on difficult maps.
An64fan

adamskii_uk wrote:

Maybe a MOD could be added so that the Slider Follow Circle is completely removed and we have to keep the cursor inside the ball on a slider, otherwise we break the combo? If such a MOD were to be added, however, I think it should only have a very low multiplier, since only players with really good placement accuracy would be able to use it well, on difficult maps.
Wouldn't be effective really at all imo as sliderballs can be skinned to have a difference size, shape, etc.
Ekaru
He's asking for a slider in the difficulty section of the song setup that lets you set the size of the slider follow circle.

I dislike it. First off, when people get better, they often stop half-assing sliders as much, unless it's really short/a kick slider/ect. Why? Because A. half-assing's riskier, and has a higher chance of resulting in a slider break. B. There's no point.

Anyways, it would just make sliders more difficult and really frustrating at times. Regardless of whether it "ruins" the slider, that much room to move your mouse is needed. This is because not everyone is good at following the slider ball. Just let people play how they want to; in the end, just a feature would result in people abusing it in retarded ways. Someone WOULD make hard maps with slider follow circles that are slightly bigger than the slider ball. @.@

tl;dr: Pointless, would just make the game harder, and would be abused in stupid ways.
Topic Starter
Jarby

Ekaru wrote:

He's asking for a slider in the difficulty section of the song setup that lets you set the size of the slider follow circle.

I dislike it. First off, when people get better, they often stop half-assing sliders as much, unless it's really short/a kick slider/ect. Why? Because A. half-assing's riskier, and has a higher chance of resulting in a slider break. B. There's no point.

Anyways, it would just make sliders more difficult and really frustrating at times. Regardless of whether it "ruins" the slider, that much room to move your mouse is needed. This is because not everyone is good at following the slider ball. Just let people play how they want to; in the end, just a feature would result in people abusing it in retarded ways. Someone WOULD make hard maps with slider follow circles that are slightly bigger than the slider ball. @.@

tl;dr: Pointless, would just make the game harder, and would be abused in stupid ways.
Of course, being lazy with sliders can get your combo broken, but on how many sliders do you actually keep the mouse on the center of the ball the entire time? Not many for me. It's not necessary to and you naturally learn how lazy you can be before it combo breaks. I rarely combo break on sliders and if I do, it's because I'm not paying attention to BPM changes, the section is full of 1/4 etna sliders or I make a genuine mistake, not because of laziness.

Mappers will 'abuse' them, just like they 'abuse' many other game mechanics. Nobody complains about small circle sizes, HP drains, or overall difficulty, unless they are in extremes. This is more or less the same, a difficulty modifier that requires more precision on the players part. If it were truly abused, the map would not be ranked. The BAT team is experienced enough to decide if the combination of a slider's speed, follow circle and circle size are unfair to play.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Atmey
Topic Starter
Jarby

Atmey wrote:

Increase the slider speed and make the slider longer, that way we'd have to move the mouse.
That would change the spacing. On most beatmaps, I want the spacing for slider speed and distance of circles to be the same. If the sliders are fast, the space between notes is huge. Being able to change the follow circle size allows us to make better sliders without sacrificing spacing.
Atmey
Hmmm..
Unless it was to extreme levels it won't be bad I guess. Go for it.
mm201
It's a difficulty modifier. Certainly nice to have, but not totally urgent. I could see use for it if the mapper wants to make sure that some extent of mouse movement is needed for small sliders.

Overall, osu!'s slider follow range is more forgiving than the authentic games'. Now I keep getting sliderbreaks when I play EBA/OTO2! >:(

I vote yes. This is similar in concept to splitting Overall Difficulty into separate Approach Rate and Hit Window settings.
An64fan
FurukawaPan
I vote no, because I interpret the poll to ask: Should mappers be able to customize the follow circle's size for each map? Allowing for nasty surprises in certain upcoming maps.

I wouldn't be opposed to a "follow the ball" mod with say, a x1.04 multiplier. That would be a fair way to increase the difficulty of a map, and reward players with a *tiny* bonus for being extremely precise with their sliders.
minyeob
I don't like this idea, personally.
An64 is right.
The followcircle's size depends on the hitcircle size.
I guess mappers will abuse this.(Make hard to FC.)
adamskii_uk

minyeob wrote:

I don't like this idea, personally.
An64 is right.
The followcircle's size depends on the hitcircle size.
I guess mappers will abuse this.(Make hard to FC.)
This is why I suggested a MOD to remove the Sliders Follow Circle for a small multiplier increase. Rather than having it as an adjustable option in the editor, which could be abused by mappers to make full combos much more difficult to achieve.
awp
If it isn't already, I think it'd be interesting to make this a property of the beatmap's overall difficulty. Sliders are pretty easy as they are right now - except for those retardedly fast TRIPLE SPEED ones.
Topic Starter
Jarby

adamskii_uk wrote:

This is why I suggested a MOD to remove the Sliders Follow Circle for a small multiplier increase. Rather than having it as an adjustable option in the editor, which could be abused by mappers to make full combos much more difficult to achieve.
That would be unfair for maps that have short sliders, or very little sliders.
adamskii_uk
Hyperworm
True ... it just seems a little difficult to imagine what the fairest multiplier might be when some maps have very few sliders (Thunder Tornado [Insane] = 3) and deserve only a low multiplier, and some maps would be made far more difficult by use of the mod and deserve a high multiplier.
Then again, as you say, maybe this problem extends to other mods as well. ._.

(I'm against having this as a mapper option btw)
Larto

adamskii_uk wrote:

JarJarJacob wrote:

adamskii_uk wrote:

That would be unfair for maps that have short sliders, or very little sliders.
How is it unfair? There are a lot of beatmaps that aren't hard rock compatible because using the MOD on these beatmaps makes the hit circles too small and the timing circles too fast, but that doesn't stop the hard rock MOD being useful on the beatmaps that support it.

The same thing is true for the Slider Follow Circle MOD feature that I suggested in my previous posts. There would be alot of beatmaps that would work just fine with it, and there would be a few beatmaps that would be a nightmare to get a FC with it enabled. At the end of the day, it's upto the player to decide on whether they have the ability to FC a beatmap with the MOD enabled, or not. :)
1. JarJar means if the map you use that mod in has very little sliders, or none (GreeeeN - Ai Uta - Easy), that mod wouldn't do anything, yet you still get a multiplier.

2. That mod could easily be abused by skinning the slider ball itself as the follow circle, like in the Guitar Hero Beta skin.