forum

DPI

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pieceee
i was wondering if 1600 dpi (sens in game : 1) is too high or too low for osu.
some people tell me its all personal preference, others tell me my sens is way too high.
Almost
Higher DPI will cause you to miss more. People don't like using a DPI too low because it takes a lot more effort to move the mouse around and you have to reposition your mouse more. I would say the DPI you're using is on the high end. 1000 is the highest I would recommend.
Minkquaa
it's definitely personal preference, because if you can get used to high sens, you can be a good player. it's not as suggested, cuz you tend to miss a lot more, but whatever suits you is probably the best decision to go with. If you think it's too high, lower it and test it out, and basically the opposite if it's too low.
Brainage
Find the middle ground. Not too high (e.g. over 2000), not too low (e.g. under 400). I would recommend not going past those limits and try your best NOT to mess with the in-game sensitivity because it's just going to make your cursor look more stuttery.
mulraf
100% personal preference. i use 3.200 dpi with 0.5x sens which is basically the same as you just as a different combination.

if someone here really wants to tell me that this is wrong then show me evidence. i'm open but i've done a lot of research and it all ends up pointing towards personal preference (and not enough reliable data) as the ultimate answer.

here's some stuff which is not just comments on a reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrF_e5vKqPk
https://www.howtogeek.com/182702/mouse-dpi-and-polling-rates-explained-do-they-matter-for-gaming/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAEb9a-dltk
there are plenty of forums posts in favor of low dpi x higher sens. the majority i would say.

the thing is: no one has ever pointed me towards any source that looks like it's definitely reliable. but do you feel like your hardware is doing something wrong? have you ever tried playing with another dpi and it worked better? i think you should be able to answer what fits your needs best yourself.
XxduckpigxX
There is nothing wrong with it if you are comfortable with it. I play with 800DPI and 0.86x sensitivity and I find it quite comfortable to play with. My sensitivity and DPI is quite low but it all comes down to personal preference. Hopefully this helps you out along with the other tips.
ComposerRE
x.x i play mouse only with 3000dpi and 1.2x sens but still felt the mouse heavy. Although i play with this high dpi i also have to reposition the mouse.
JarJar1337
Question is are you willing to change DPI in windows ? cuz to me I'd always have to have osu on 1x, so desktop and osu are same mouse speed, else it would be weird af

If you keep losing circles because it takes too much effort to move ur mouse and you slip your grip, it's obv bad, likely too low sensitivity.

If it's high it's less effort, less slipping, but u gotta be comfortable with it (in windows too, or any 2d game).

I myself have ultra high sens (4000), it's a bit straining cuz i make small movements and my cursor moves a lot, idk how lowsens is. I can't tell if my aim is bad compared to if i had lowsens, maybe if i had lowsens i'd be aim god.

It's best to find a middle ground
Equbuxu

JarJar1337 wrote:

Question is are you willing to change DPI in windows ? cuz to me I'd always have to have osu on 1x, so desktop and osu are same mouse speed, else it would be weird af

By default mouse acceleration is enabled in windows.This means you can't really compare osu sensitivity to windows, since they work in different ways.
Juuuuuuuuul
Try, test, compare, choose.
Basically, low sens is control/precision and high sens is speed.
Hitting cs 6 or 7 may be a pain with high sens but cross-screen jumps will need less effort with high sens, as long as the cs is low enough.
As people already said before, find your own middle ground.
JarJar1337

GSTACK wrote:

JarJar1337 wrote:

By default mouse acceleration is enabled in windows.This means you can't really compare osu sensitivity to windows, since they work in different ways.

Are you sure ? well i use rawinput in osu i think.

But i thought they got rid of that in windows, I know I used to use a M accel fix when i had windows 7 but didn't notice any change, a very small one if anything. Now I use windows 10, enhance pointer precision always off

If it's there in windows 10 it should be really negligible