forum

Losing focus while playing.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DankusMemekus
Hello, this is my first time posting here, so im not sure whether this is the correct place or not.
I have this issue where while im playing normally, I kinda just "blank out", completely just lose focus and just stare at the circle or slider im going to click on, and dont click. It's kinda frustrating, so if anyone can give advice on how to atleast lessen this issue, Please do. (I do take breaks.)
phfish
Just your brain my dude, you're being mind succed by the circles and getting lost
try to keep yourself refreshed by washing your face or smth. maybe even play some other games or correct your posture if you get in that gaming mode gamer-lean
Juuuuuuuuul
You may work on focus by playing long maps, get used to focus 5 or 6 minutes may help you.
Or, ask a friend to come in your room, next to you when you're playing osu!,
tell him that every time he hear the sound of a miss or combo break, he have to smash your foot.
Topic Starter
DankusMemekus

Juuuuuuuuul wrote:

You may work on focus by playing long maps, get used to focus 5 or 6 minutes may help you.
Or, ask a friend to come in your room, next to you when you're playing osu!,
tell him that every time he hear the sound of a miss or combo break, he have to smash your foot.

Pretty brutal for a solution lol. Will try out the long map idea.

RespecWamen wrote:

Just your brain my dude, you're being mind succed by the circles and getting lost
try to keep yourself refreshed by washing your face or smth. maybe even play some other games or correct your posture if you get in that gaming mode gamer-lean

Maybe that's it, I wash my face every while or so, but it definitely feels like im getting "lost in the circles".
Kyomaku
I'm not sure if it's related to your issue, but a few things come to mind and I used to blank out quite a lot as well, so I guess I'll share my experience, but I generally think that this issue is map reading based.

- Try to have an empty mind while playing, don't think about anything else but reading the map, watching the map closely. This trains your focus, but takes time. Don't worry about losing focus, just every time when it happens, remind yourself and snap right back into it, you'll lose focus less often. Minimize distractions (meditation and breathing technique can help freeing your mind before starting to play a map, google it if you don't know about it).

- Try snapping (snap aiming) onto every object, no matter the distance. This one is related to my first suggestion and how I "focus" and get into my zone. When I want to snap to every single object on a map, I have to REALLY look at every object, and the focus and precise observation that requires just automatically pushes me into the zone.

What I do notice is, that when I am focusing and reading well for the most part, I might sometimes still blank out for a different reason, when a pattern or jump is too complex and I struggle to mentally keep up / struggle to follow it with my eyes. Idk what to do about this, except practicing more and hoping that my eyes will be able to follow those properly eventually, the only thing I actively do about those cases is to instantly remind myself to look at objects properly again the second I notice I blanked out. Usually this means, that I only blank out for super short moments and from my experience, blanking out doesn't mean you'll miss, it just makes it more likely. Quite often, I still hit all those patterns and jumps that make me blank out, I just dont fully comprehend what actually happened and I'll feel like I couldn't properly read it.

- Blanking out and not clicking. I sometimes have this issue with difficult to read singletap patterns, not accurately reading how many circles there are or not being aware how many of them I have clicked, but when I try to snap to every object, I am more conscious of how often I need to click and where I am precisely "right now", that helps me actually click. I also notice that putting a little more force into pressing the buttons can help with control, but I do recommend experimenting with pressing buttons softly, too, it's harder and requires way more finger control, but gives you more stamina if you can manage that. Don't go crazy with this though, press in a way that is comfortable, but you're obviously less likely to not click if you consciously put more force into each one.

Hope this helps? You look really new though, so I'll just drop the cliche play more in here as well. GL
Topic Starter
DankusMemekus

Kyomaku wrote:

I'm not sure if it's related to your issue, but a few things come to mind and I used to blank out quite a lot as well, so I guess I'll share my experience, but I generally think that this issue is map reading based.

- Try to have an empty mind while playing, don't think about anything else but reading the map, watching the map closely. This trains your focus, but takes time. Don't worry about losing focus, just every time when it happens, remind yourself and snap right back into it, you'll lose focus less often. Minimize distractions (meditation and breathing technique can help freeing your mind before starting to play a map, google it if you don't know about it).

- Try snapping (snap aiming) onto every object, no matter the distance. This one is related to my first suggestion and how I "focus" and get into my zone. When I want to snap to every single object on a map, I have to REALLY look at every object, and the focus and precise observation that requires just automatically pushes me into the zone.

What I do notice is, that when I am focusing and reading well for the most part, I might sometimes still blank out for a different reason, when a pattern or jump is too complex and I struggle to mentally keep up / struggle to follow it with my eyes. Idk what to do about this, except practicing more and hoping that my eyes will be able to follow those properly eventually, the only thing I actively do about those cases is to instantly remind myself to look at objects properly again the second I notice I blanked out. Usually this means, that I only blank out for super short moments and from my experience, blanking out doesn't mean you'll miss, it just makes it more likely. Quite often, I still hit all those patterns and jumps that make me blank out, I just dont fully comprehend what actually happened and I'll feel like I couldn't properly read it.

- Blanking out and not clicking. I sometimes have this issue with difficult to read singletap patterns, not accurately reading how many circles there are or not being aware how many of them I have clicked, but when I try to snap to every object, I am more conscious of how often I need to click and where I am precisely "right now", that helps me actually click. I also notice that putting a little more force into pressing the buttons can help with control, but I do recommend experimenting with pressing buttons softly, too, it's harder and requires way more finger control, but gives you more stamina if you can manage that. Don't go crazy with this though, press in a way that is comfortable, but you're obviously less likely to not click if you consciously put more force into each one.

Hope this helps? You look really new though, so I'll just drop the cliche play more in here as well. GL

I'll definitely play more lol, while i understand the complex pattern bit, I also get the blanks in very easy 1 or 2 star maps, which is annoying, so its not about me getting confused, atleast not in the easy maps. Otherwise, these pieces of advice are great, thanks.