forum

Bad mouse movement

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gman
I decided to watch a few replays of mine and found that my movements seemed... abnormal to say the least. My score on this map shows that clearly. Same thing occurs on many different maps as well, my movement looks very inconsistent, wavy, and is just straight up ugly to watch. I compared my scores with other mouse players on the same maps as well, and saw that their movements were far more reliable and consistent, especially those of FunOrange, who used to use the same mouse and mousepad as me (Logitech G102/G203 paired with a Steelseries QcK). How should I go about fixing this? Here's some more info I can provide:

DPI - 800
Sensitivity - 1.0x
Raw Input - ON
Resolution - 1440x900 (Fullscreen, 75Hz)
Frame Limiter - Unlimited (consistently getting an average of 0.35ms)

Feel free to ask for more useful info and thanks in advance!
Vuelo Eluko
you're still setting the scores, what does it matter?
Topic Starter
gman
It matters, because aiming is what I'm worst at in the game and I still have no idea why I'm having so much trouble with it, even after having spent so much time practicing it exclusively. Watching my replays and seeing how dumb my movements look makes me that think I'm doing something wrong, but I can't really pinpoint what the cause may be, hence this thread.
Almost
Look, if you can hit the circles it doesn't even matter if you're drawing figure 8s between each circle. Just keep practicing the right maps and you'll get it eventually.
lolboatz
Not everybody can be flyingtuna. As long as you can hit the circles, your aim is fine even if you hit masterpiece squares as a circle
Vuelo Eluko
i think you mostly just need to play more aim heavy maps that aren't airman/big black
Topic Starter
gman

Almost wrote:

Look, if you can hit the circles it doesn't even matter if you're drawing figure 8s between each circle. Just keep practicing the right maps and you'll get it eventually.
Why shouldn't it matter, though? It's fine if some of my movements look dumb, but such inconsistency could really cause damage in the long run, and I think I've already reached that point.

lolboatz wrote:

Not everybody can be flyingtuna. As long as you can hit the circles, your aim is fine even if you hit masterpiece squares as a circle
Not trying to be anybody. I just wanted to know why my movements are like this, since them being inconsistent is an issue that should be fixed if possible.

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

i think you mostly just need to play more aim heavy maps that aren't airman/big black
The play count I have on those 2 maps is a result of me spamming them 5+ years ago, trying to clear them. Of course, I do play aim-heavy maps as often as I can, but the fact that I'm often just a few pixels away from missing jumps is something I should really be looking into, and not just brush off as something minor.
Vuelo Eluko
Are you making sure you aim at the combo numbers rather than just in the direction of the circles?
Aim is also my worst stat according to osu!skills so I can relate
I'm not sure exactly what to do but play more aim maps.
Almost

gman wrote:

Almost wrote:

Why shouldn't it matter, though? It's fine if some of my movements look dumb, but such inconsistency could really cause damage in the long run, and I think I've already reached that point.

lolboatz wrote:

Not trying to be anybody. I just wanted to know why my movements are like this, since them being inconsistent is an issue that should be fixed if possible.

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

The play count I have on those 2 maps is a result of me spamming them 5+ years ago, trying to clear them. Of course, I do play aim-heavy maps as often as I can, but the fact that I'm often just a few pixels away from missing jumps is something I should really be looking into, and not just brush off as something minor.

You jump to some pretty big conclusions about where your problems lie. Firstly, it doesn't matter if you aim with perfect straight lines or aim in a weird zig zag pattern between circles, all that matters is whether you hit the circles or not. The latter guy could have far better aim compared to the former.

Your real problem which you actually just gave now is not an issue with how your aiming but how you're reading. Everyone misses circles by a few pixels every now and then, even the pros.

To solve this 'problem' focus on aiming each circle deliberately. As in, look directly at the circle you are about to hit before moving on.
Topic Starter
gman

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Are you making sure you aim at the combo numbers rather than just in the direction of the circles?
Aim is also my worst stat according to osu!skills so I can relate
I'm not sure exactly what to do but play more aim maps.
Yeah, it's my worst stat as well, sitting at #25k when my overall rank is around #3k, but oh well. Usually, when someone's aim is lacking, it's either due to poor reading or poor muscle memory (maybe even both). You could try playing aim-heavy maps on a lower BPM range (BPM120-140 for example), as doing a task slowly would allow the brain to process information more clearly and build muscle memory much more easily. I've heard it's how musicians typically do when practicing.

Almost wrote:

gman wrote:

Almost wrote:

lolboatz wrote:

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

You jump to some pretty big conclusions about where your problems lie. Firstly, it doesn't matter if you aim with perfect straight lines or aim in a weird zig zag pattern between circles, all that matters is whether you hit the circles or not. The latter guy could have far better aim compared to the former.

Your real problem which you actually just gave now is not an issue with how your aiming but how you're reading. Everyone misses circles by a few pixels every now and then, even the pros.

To solve this 'problem' focus on aiming each circle deliberately. As in, look directly at the circle you are about to hit before moving on.
Thanks for the advice. Though I don't really believe it has anything to do with my reading, as I've already been doing it the way you told me to, and can read maps with a higher object density just fine. Even if reading were my issue, it wouldn't explain why my movements seem so unusual compared to anyone else's.
Almost

gman wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Though I don't really believe it has anything to do with my reading, as I've already been doing it the way you told me to, and can read maps with a higher object density just fine. Even if reading were my issue, it wouldn't explain why my movements seem so unusual compared to anyone else's.

Knowing what to do is only 1 aspect of reading. Actually executing is the other aspect and the aspect you're lacking in. If anything, I feel like the root cause of your movement issues are mental. Since you believe your movements are weird and are causing you to miss more than normal, you end up acting it out and missing more than normal. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Topic Starter
gman

Almost wrote:

Knowing what to do is only 1 aspect of reading. Actually executing is the other aspect and the aspect you're lacking in. If anything, I feel like the root cause of your movement issues are mental. Since you believe your movements are weird and are causing you to miss more than normal, you end up acting it out and missing more than normal. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
I noticed my issue just 2 days ago, and the score I gave as an example was from last year, along with many other scores that show the problem. I don't understand why you insist that I'm unable to read properly and how it has anything to do with me not being able to keep my cursor steady, when it's basically the same in pretty much every map, regardless of its object density. Though if I have to be honest, my older scores seem better in that regard, though I used to play on a lower DPI back then, which I don't really want to go back to, as it took quite a bit of effort to move my mouse around.
Almost

gman wrote:

I noticed my issue just 2 days ago, and the score I gave as an example was from last year, along with many other scores that show the problem. I don't understand why you insist that I'm unable to read properly and how it has anything to do with me not being able to keep my cursor steady, when it's basically the same in pretty much every map, regardless of its object density. Though if I have to be honest, my older scores seem better in that regard, though I used to play on a lower DPI back then, which I don't really want to go back to, as it took quite a bit of effort to move my mouse around.

You're the one so bizarrely fixated on the idea that your unsteady cursor movements has anything to do with your poor aim. I haven't been saying that reading is the reason your cursor is unsteady, I'm saying that reading is the reason why you shit miss all the time. No matter how good you are at reading, you'll always find maps that you have problems with to varying degrees. Even the slightest incorrect movement in your eyes and/or your attention can cause a miss in your aim.

Just going to also put this out here, everyone shit misses. That's just part of this game. I don't know what baseline you're comparing yourself to but you might not shit miss more than anyone else. But hey, I've never really seen you play before or anything so whatever, I could be wrong about everything. If you have those shit misses even on maps that you should be FCing 99% of the time, then you probably have a problem in some way or another.
Antiforte
Your mouse should always feel like it's gliding with ease. A lot of problems with aim can be found if you notice a feeling of skidding or skipping, no matter how subtle they might be. Though shaky/awkward aim is a complex issue with lots of factors, there are three tips in particular that I want to share.

1. There should be no tension in your fingers/arms/hands. This can put more stress and fatigue on your hands, and actually makes your aim shakier once you hit an intense part of a map. If this is the case, it can be fixed by going back to your comfort zone so you can focus on consciously keeping your arm relaxed.
  2. Improve your eye-hand span. That is, you should be looking ahead of what you're actually hitting. Eye-hand span, the technical term for this, is also used by professional typists and musicians. A low span puts you at risk of reaction-based play, which can wreck your performance pretty quick. To have a good span, you should not only be able to process and remember info efficiently (lower AR), but also register it as fast as possible (higher AR). This means your reading is usually best in the middle of your AR range. So if you play mostly AR10, you should work on reading both AR8 and AR10.5.
  3. Practice more flow aim. Though mouse players naturally gravitate towards snap aim, it can end up being a bad habit to take really sharp angles or fast, twitchy movement. These are hard, unnatural motions that put stress on your hands. As said before, the best kind of hand movement is one without skipping or twitching of any sort. You could practice linear flow by focusing really hard on sliders, following it steadily the whole way as much as possible (sometimes I even exaggerate it and end up cursor-dancing to the next note, kinda similar to pishifat in some of his plays), or practice linear 1/2s in sweeping motions rather than snapping between notes. For jumps, you can get less twitchy snapping by trying to copy the way Auto moves (fast start, gradually slowing).

I don't really know if this will help in getting better looking aim, but it did help me get better at aiming (read: help me learn how to actually do jumps). Plus, I personally believe not to worry too much in how aim looks. There are top players who have shaky aim, and perform better and more consistently than others who are really steady. Though I do believe the reason they play so well is because they play in the way that feels most natural for their body. Maybe you could just be naturally shaky. No-one really knows.