forum

Dark Souls

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
friendok58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnUGxY_b00Y

it's going to get released soon on p heard 26 august release date ?

it's already on consoles so far it's a painful game that just likes to torture you for 200hours till you can manage to complete it
since i am a masochist i actually enjoyed that torture that it gave me it pushes you to your limits with 4ever dying everywhere

this series will easily be one of my top games I've ever played and experienced in my life I'd like to recommend it to you all
Mukku
chin chin = penis

Mithos

Mukku wrote:

chin chin = penis

Oh my god I can't stop laughing

I plan on getting dark souls soon and playing it with a few friends.
nomen
Challenging games are challenging, also cool.
Mukku
Thinking of getting this one maybe.
Octane
This game man, it's so fucking hard but, no matter how many times you die. You want to keep playing. I thought I would rage quit SO fast, but no.
It may be hard but HOLY SHIT it's rewarding.
Kazuo

Octane wrote:

This game man, it's so fucking hard but, no matter how many times you die. You want to keep playing. I thought I would rage quit SO fast, but no.
It may be hard but HOLY SHIT it's rewarding.
capra demon.. dude i cried when i beat him
Octane

Kazuo wrote:

capra demon.. dude i cried when i beat him
I beat him first try.
Vinderouen
Any one knows wich spear is the best?
Valentiino
Been playing this for a while now, never beaten it thou. Always making up new characters when I find out something new and amazing.

Atm I have settled for a strenght/faith build, going for some big ass weapons with capable of medium rolling w/o havels ring. (It gets kinda funny when you play from the beginning a few times, enemies you never even imagined of killing aren't getting any hits on you at all and stuff 8-) )

But yeah, gonna aim for 120-130SL and start doing PvP on the Darkmoon Blade covenant and trolling around with a friend who's gonna be on the Gravelord side.
Gaba
I'm playing as well, I think i'll do a SL 120 Darkwraith covenant. Weapon will be Silver Knight Spear + Silver Knight Set, Dex build, plus some pyromancies. At least for now, I'm at Anor Londo SL 60.
bugeyedbillyh
Dark souls ain't even hard, I reccomend everyone first beats Ninja Gaiden for the NES without savestates. After that, a lot of games will seem horribly easy.

It's a very good game though, a real 10/10.
Tetsu_old
Ninja Gaiden Black is also very hard.

Demon's Souls is harder than Dark Souls in my opinion.
DeletedUser_910779
Azure_Kite
I actually haven't really had that hard of a time yet. Rang the two Bells, and I'm exploring new londo ruins due to wanting a new curved sword with bleed. But yeah. Fun stuff.
Valentiino

bugeyedbillyh wrote:

Dark souls ain't even hard, I reccomend everyone first beats Ninja Gaiden for the NES without savestates. After that, a lot of games will seem horribly easy.

It's a very good game though, a real 10/10.
Plz gief multiplayer to Ninja Gaiden.

PvP is what excites me in Dark Souls anyways.

A few changes to plans has arised since my last post. Currently aiming for SL120 with a dex/buff sorc character. Chaos Blade & Balder Side sword as weapons \o

Also going to make a SL60 character for PvP on other areas and a SL50 or SL100 character for the Arenas
DeletedUser_910779
Ephemeral
renaming this thread to artificial difficulty video game simulator
DeletedUser_910779
Azure_Kite
I don't think Dark Souls has actually *been* hard for me yet. I'm playing an ultra agile curved sword weilder, and, well. Quelaag was easy, the Iron Golem atop Sen's Fortress was easy, even if it took a while.The only part I've so far had any difficulty with is when you're inside the church thingy at Anor Londo, where the Painting Protectors are on top of the rafters, throwing daggers and shit to knock you off.
Ephemeral
it's not really hard, it's just mindless repetition + monsters with different attack patterns and higher values

there's nothing innately difficult about it - you learn how to do something once, and you're done. the only difficult bit about it is the artificial barriers to learning (having to walk/teleport back to a place to try it again, gear limitations, etc)

it's still fun though, don't get me wrong. it's just not as LOLHARD as everybody else makes it out to be.

you want hard? play IVAN, cataclysm (roguelike) or crawl on a non-standard character set. those require skill and forethought to win, not just reflexive learning.
Gaba

Ephemeral wrote:

it's not really hard, it's just mindless repetition + monsters with different attack patterns and higher values

there's nothing innately difficult about it - you learn how to do something once, and you're done. the only difficult bit about it is the artificial barriers to learning (having to walk/teleport back to a place to try it again, gear limitations, etc)

it's still fun though, don't get me wrong. it's just not as LOLHARD as everybody else makes it out to be.

you want hard? play IVAN, cataclysm (roguelike) or crawl on a non-standard character set. those require skill and forethought to win, not just reflexive learning.
That's why there's plenty challenge videos on youtube, believe me, playing NG+7 with SL1 + No heal IS FUCKIN HARD.

This game is not hard on the first playthrough, but it gives you the possibility to create hard challenges for yourself, that is, if you're not a casual player.

I find annoying when some people say the game is not hard at all when they didn't played the game enough. And I'm not saying this game is the hardest of all time, there are several old games that have greater difficulty, but among this generation of games, you can't deny that Dark Souls or Demon Souls are way less friendly that any of those new games.
Ephemeral
yea but self-imposed handicaps don't really do anything towards the game's innate difficulty

ng+7 at sl1 is pretty much the same as ng+1.. you get hit once, you die.. that's not really any different from dark souls in general aside from how many hits it takes to kill shit

it's basically testing how consistent you are, which is basically grinding the same timing routines over and over again until you stop fucking up/get frustrated and quit

you're smack on - they're not friendly, but that doesn't make them hard either. the curse stuff is the biggest example of this - sit in a cloud for 2s, die, respawn with half hp and are forced to either stock on a 3k souls item to cure it or walk back to parish and farm for souls along the way to buy it. 10-15 minutes of urg just because you fucked up once on a trash mob. i haven't even died to these things, but that's just fuckin' dumb.
Azure_Kite
I'm having slight difficulties with Ornstein and Smough, but that's only because I lost all my humanity to the silver dragonbow knights just before the bonfire, so I can't fortify it at the moment. Oh well.
DeletedUser_910779
Ephemeral
this is discussion thread, is it not?

a lot of the stats are ambiguous as well. nobody knows what resistance does since it basically appears to do nothing but slightly increment elemental resistances.. i bet there's some check for it somewhere in the game where it comes in useful.
Azure_Kite
Resistance also increases your defense by a greater amount than leveling other things, if you observe. The bonus is basically nullified at resistance level 40 onwards, though..
DaddyCoolVipper

Ephemeral wrote:

artificial difficulty
there's that word again

Professional tip, there's only one point in the entire game that you actually have to die on, and even that can be skipped. It's not "artificial" just because learning from your mistakes is the main way of progressing. There's always ways to see what's coming, even the dragon on the bridge was made incredibly obvious
Azure_Kite
Custom Title Screens are fun.

DaddyCoolVipper

Azure_Kite wrote:

Custom Title Screens are fun.

"This ain't no place for no hero..."

Azure_Kite
It fucking isn't and you know it.
DaddyCoolVipper
b-but my grammar nazi corrects your double negative to "This is a place for heroes"

I know what you meant though. Also dark souls is one of my favourite games ever, so much replayablity. I'm trying out my first dex build at the moment and sweet jesus the Estoc is awesome
Azure_Kite
I'm playing a Dex character at the moment. I love my Painting Guardian Curved Sword <3
Valentiino
Dex character @ NG+, no bosses killed for maximum pvp areas.

Still all the areas you can access w/o ringing the bells are open with shortcuts. Not even the taurus demon is dead

I love my Chaos Blade & Balder Side Sword.

Started my SL60 pvp character. Got him to lvl 30+, clearing my way to dlc right now so I can get my pvp weapon ;__;

DaddyCoolVipper

Valentiino wrote:

Dex character @ NG+, no bosses killed for maximum pvp areas.

Still all the areas you can access w/o ringing the bells are open with shortcuts. Not even the taurus demon is dead

I love my Chaos Blade & Balder Side Sword.

Started my SL60 pvp character. Got him to lvl 30+, clearing my way to dlc right now so I can get my pvp weapon ;__;

Haha, brilliant shield.

Also, I took this picture yesterday with my dex/rapier/RAPER build. We lost.

Azure_Kite
Valentiino

That's how the first encounter with havel felt like ;__;
Azure_Kite
Really? I had no issues with him. BLEED, BITCH. BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
Varetyr
Started playing Dark Souls 1 week ago, as some kind of... mage I guess.
Leveled up, found some gears, new skills, still being owned in 3 attacks by any skeleton or rat or... pretty much any aggressive enemy in the game. hate meter = 50%
Then, I fell in a dark place where I've been "cursed" by some kind of... frog I guess. => Lost half of my max HP at my resurrection. hate meter = 75%
Because of my halved HPs, I can barely fight the next boss. Spent about 2 hours just to beat him. hate meter = 90%
Afterwhile, I fell again in that dark place, died once again and got cursed for the SECOND time. => 1/4 HP.hate meter = 100% : ragequit.

Nah seriously, how the hell am I supposed to beat such a game :<
Valentiino

Azure_Kite wrote:

Really? I had no issues with him. BLEED, BITCH. BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
First time I encountered havel, I had non plussed falchion and had no idea how to even parry in this game
Azure_Kite
Who parries? CirclecirclecirclecirclecirclecirclecircleBACKSTAB
DeletedUser_910779
Azure_Kite
You can if you're playing the game unpatched. Your health bar can get up to 1/8 it's usual size. Of course, they've since nerfed that.
Valentiino

Azure_Kite wrote:

Who parries? CirclecirclecirclecirclecirclecirclecircleBACKSTAB
Parrying havel is surprisingly fun, since the timing for his attacks are pretty odd compared to other mobs in the game