forum

peppy - Keyboard Latency Test

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
haha5957
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on 2012년 8월 20일 월요일 at 오후 12:08:10

Artist: peppy
Title: Keyboard Latency Test
Tags: Offset Wizard keyboard
BPM: 120
Filesize: 475kb
Play Time: 00:28
Difficulties Available:
  1. Keyboard (0.92 stars, 29 notes)
Download: peppy - Keyboard Latency Test
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Caution : do NOT use this tool to adjust your universal offset this doesn't work that way

[b]This map helps you measure combined value (X) of :

1) Input latency from your keyboard to OSU!.
2) Output latency from your PC to headphone/speaker
3) Potentially your own brain offset for rhythm games!

Which practically, results in :

1) Osu will play the hitsound after X ms of your keystroke.

- How to use -

1. Go to Editor, Open this map, Press F5.
2. Place your cursor where the circle appears (Center of playfield)
3. Close your eye, and tap keyboard every 1/1 according to the tick sound.
4. See the Mistimed Hits : x%, (ave xms late/early)
5. There goes the value X i talked about.

[ Negative values ]

Either you should actually adjust your universal offset, or you just tend to keystroke before the actual music plays. I guess that's fine.
Typically this should never happen because things just can't have negative latency.

[ 0 ~ 20ms ]

Excellent. You likely will have high accuracy in osu! too, and you definitely would feel like you're playing the music. Gratz!

[ 20ms ~ 40ms ]

Not bad, quite playable.

Players in this area might feel like their hitsound plays slightly after when they've actually pressed the keyboard. You will feel like you kinda have to press the keyboard before the actual music plays, to make hitsounds perfectly match the music. Still, because this is true for most of hitsound-based rhythm games, if you're used to it, you'll probably never notice anyway.

[ 40ms ~ 75ms ]

Barely playable.

Players in this area definitely feel the latency and will actually have problem getting accuracy unless they're very used to it, especially if you're looking at 60-75. You definitely feel that you have to press the keyboard before the music plays, and sometimes this affects high AR map playability because having to hit early means you have less time to response. In such high AR meta like 2016+ you'll have tough time, although it's somewhat managable if you really get used to it.

[ 75ms + ]

Unplayable.

You should consider getting an external sound card, new keyboard, get a new PC if it's 7+ years old. You could still try to play but I doubt it will be enjoyable. if you've visited this post because you really feel like something is wrong with latency, you're likely in this area.

[How to improve]

Here are some causes of latency, in my opinion. I'm not a professional so read with caution.

1. Actual keyboard latency

Keyboards use 60Hz, 125Hz, 500Hz, 1000Hz. Let's skip what that means, but if you're using a 60Hz keyboard, you just have 0-16ms random latency as a default which is really bad for a rhythm game. Consider getting a keybaord that has at least 125Hz pulling ratio.

2. Sound settings / Sound card problem

Sounds need processing before they actually play. This uses computing power. Right, higher quality means more computing power. Lowering sound quality can be done in control panel -> sound -> double click your default speaker -> advanced -> select something 16bit and 40kish Hz or even lower if it exists. This actually reduced my latency to roughly half. In good PCs this shouldn't be a problem though.

3. Bad PC

Registering a keystroke, to osu, also requires computing power. If you happen to have very shitty computer, this might actually take some time. if osu! is lagging it could be worse. I don't see any solution to this, maybe lower osu! settings, close all other programs, set osu on high priority etc. I've never tried this so I can't guarantee but in theory this could help.
HOLYWINNER
I get from 0 to 5ms usually closer to 0 and my offset is at 0, it's not a good keybaord at all I wonder why it's so low?
Stefan
Idk if neccessary.
I got 11ms, so that I should change the general Offset for 11ms?
Suimya
EDIT: now i got 9 late
SkYiStHE_LimiT
if its late should i make the offset negative?
for example if i got 29 late would i be -29?
Comfy Cherry
eye's closed I was somehow getting about 5ms early... I guess I'm good at predicting rhythm?
MysteryPig
I have so much input lag that I'm just missing the circles...
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.