forum

[resolved] Osu! starts on the wrong monitor after a windows update.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Diversion
Problem details: Osu! starts on the wrong monitor after a windows update.

The game initially starts on the correct monitor but after the first frame it moves to the second monitor and after each alt tab the "freezeframe" would update to the current screen state.

I had this problem in the past after one windows update few months back and not even changing the osu .cfg would help at all. I've tried setting the other monitor as primary etc etc. But the problem persists, however sometimes when I had some other game reserving the full screen and starting osu, it would start on the current monitor, though I don't have this problem with other games. It seems like the pc thinks that after starting osu the wrong monitor is the correct monitor since my tablet area is set to certain monitor and it moves perfectly on the wrong monitor even after this bug happens. After the previous time I had this problem, I formated my pc and emptied out everything and the game worked perfectly on the main monitor again in fullscreen, though I wouldn't want to format my pc again right after 2 weeks from the last time. But after yesterday's windows update:

Windows 10 Version 1903 x64 (KB4512508)

The problem reoccured and i'm not really keen into playing with borderless since it stutters.
Windows Key + Shift + Arrow key works however but the freezeframe is on the wrong monitor hiding every other program like discord and it's annoying.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20190808.3 (latest)

EDIT:
I tried to restore my pc to the point before the update but didn't fix the problem
Epic
yeah ik windows is literal garbage at some stuff but try this: try putting it in windowed and moving it to the other screen then using fullscreen, if that doesnt work just use windowed on the other monitor.
Death
Try reinstalling your graphics drivers.
Topic Starter
Diversion

Death wrote:

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers.

I tried this the last time i had the problem, no help. Also the putting windowed mode on and dragging to the other screen and then full screenin doesn't help either
Death
Did you read the threads I linked last time you posted in one of these threads? I'm pretty sure one of them included rolling back your drivers to some version before April, which is the only surefire way I know of fixing this.
Topic Starter
Diversion

Death wrote:

Did you read the threads I linked last time you posted in one of these threads? I'm pretty sure one of them included rolling back your drivers to some version before April, which is the only surefire way I know of fixing this.

I even removed last bits of the drivers and re installed them, nothing. Only things that has caused these are these damn windows updates during the past few months. The update which caused this this time had some notes on the "input devices such as --- stylus" though i'm not sure. I'm also running i7-3770 and a motherboard for that so old hardware could cause the conflicts with the updates. Only thing i don't understand is why rolling back doesn't help since it's supposed to revert any changes, heck, it even reseted my changes on cs:go settings when i did it.
Death
Didn't you post on a similar thread for this issue before the most recent Windows update? I really doubt it is the Windows update and rather graphics drivers updates because everyone who's had the same issue found that to be the cause, and that is why rolling back Windows updates isn't helping.
Topic Starter
Diversion

Death wrote:

Didn't you post on a similar thread for this issue before the most recent Windows update? I really doubt it is the Windows update and rather graphics drivers updates because everyone who's had the same issue found that to be the cause, and that is why rolling back Windows updates isn't helping.

Well it has only happened after a windows update and those could've affected the drivers with permanent changes. I don't know why, completely emptying my pc from graphics drivers and re installing hasn't helped either. So far only formating my pc has helped but i dont want to do it again. And yes i had a conversation with another fellow about this and never came to conclusion how it could be fixed. This is why i made a new thread, because the problem reoccured. Funny enough i've had this exact same setup since i started playing osu and only now this has started happening.
Death
Again, the solution is to roll back your drivers to an older version. I believe the driver version that initially started causing this issue was 425.31, which is from April. Reinstalling the latest drivers doesn't work for some people for whatever reason.

Around the time you updated Windows there is a possibility that other drivers updated as well.

You should be able to download older driver versions from this page.
Topic Starter
Diversion

Death wrote:

Again, the solution is to roll back your drivers to an older version. I believe the driver version that initially started causing this issue was 425.31, which is from April. Reinstalling the latest drivers doesn't work for some people for whatever reason.

Around the time you updated Windows there is a possibility that other drivers updated as well.

You should be able to download older driver versions from this page.

Oh my god it actually worked, THNAK YOU. I can't believe I doubted you. However I still wonder how previously installing the newest graphics drivers after formating and downloading newest windows updates didn't cause any problems, only after certain update just a while ago. Or better yet, why removing last bits of the nvidia drivers and installing fresh didn't help either. And you were also right about the 425.31, I tried to download that, it still worked, but the driver after that didn't. No idea what's going on.
Death
I'm not sure why it works for some people and not for others to be quite honest.