forum

[Proposal] Clearer guidlines about audio cutoff

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_12001243
There has been a recent spike in audio related disqualifications due to a group of people(partly including me)checking qualified and providing better audios for people using wrongly encoded audios.

Currently rc already has something about this but it hasn't stopped maps with wrongly encoded audios from slipping into the ranked section. I think the main problem is that there aren't actually examples for audios re-encoded to a higher bitrate.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

The audio file of a song should not be re-encoded to a bit rate higher than its source file. Re-encoding files like this results in unnecessarily large file sizes.

This should really be enforced as a rule instead of a guideline.

I should also address that currently the cutoff for 128kbps and 192kbps in the current rc isn't exactly accurate either.

16KHz cutoff for 128kbps audio isn't exactly accurate and should be on average around 17KHz instead.

18KHz cutoff for 192kbps isn't accurate either and should be on average around 19KHz instead.

Ikikaera wrote:

Oh btw one thing that needs to be added is a line about using CBR over VBR/ABR.
Afaik the latter 2 can cause delay and other weird issues, which makes it a bit weird that it isn't mentioned in the RC yet.

This should probably have something done about it as well.
Bibbity Bill
i agree that the wording should be updated to better reflect what you expect from a good encoding khz at that range, but i don't really get what your post aim is for besides correcting that since there already is the guideline that discourages making 128kbps files into 192kbps. do you want to list examples of expected khz frequency from popular sites or something? or just make a list under the guidelines that list what frequency is expected from a certain bitrate? i mean if anything there probably should just be an article linked that shows that 'not everything needs to be 17khz to be rankable' or something if that exists. besides that, i'm just not getting what the goal of this proposal is
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_12001243

Bibbity Bill wrote:

i agree that the wording should be updated to better reflect what you expect from a good encoding khz at that range, but i don't really get what your post aim is for besides correcting that since there already is the guideline that discourages making 128kbps files into 192kbps. do you want to list examples of expected khz frequency from popular sites or something? or just make a list under the guidelines that list what frequency is expected from a certain bitrate? i mean if anything there probably should just be an article linked that shows that 'not everything needs to be 17khz to be rankable' or something if that exists. besides that, i'm just not getting what the goal of this proposal is

I really like the idea about listing frequency cutoff you'll get from certain sites. I'd also like something like a little guide on correctly encoding your audio since I'm sure that alot of people don't really know how to do it currently.

As for what you can expect from most streaming sites? Most likely you'll get a 128kbps audio that has been encoded in either 192kbps or 320kbps which is unrankable according to current rc so I think that should be addressed somewhere in the current guideline

and this
Ikikaera
Afaik the latter 2 can cause delay and other weird issues, which makes it a bit weird that it isn't mentioned in the RC yet.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_12001243

Ikikaera wrote:

oh thanks for the reminder i'll make sure to add it
pishifat
given the audio quality enforcement stuff has been rolled back a bit, i don't think this is something we need to worry about