forum

Permanent Black Playfield

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ThisManzzz
Hey guys,

I have this problem see, I want my playfield to be solid black at all times without having to go into the skin folder and replace the playfield. Anyone know of a way that does it automatically or anything like that?
Mithos
you can get in trouble for doing this. It's what the fun spoiler settings are for.
Topic Starter
ThisManzzz
But I see people doing it all the time, funspoiler doesn't turn the background black either, turns off the skin or the storyboard, and only if you've finished the song. I can just go in the folder myself and delete the skin and the SB anyways. We all hate those garbage skins that they give us in some songs sometimes. And when I say "garbage" I mean bad for playing, the skins always look good, just suck for playing.
Aqo
Learn to read it or use the Fun Spoiler. Play maps the way the mapper meant you to play them at least once to experience it, and if you didn't like it tune it in-game after you already tried it.
Topic Starter
ThisManzzz
I would love to play a song the way the mapper intended it to be. But some of the skins make the song unplayable, you can't see the notes under sliders for example. This is what makes the skin so annoying. Also, my concern is not with the skin either, I can stand finishing the song once and then turning the skin off. My concern is with the background. I can already see the background when I choose the song, and I always turn the video off, so what's so bad about wanting to have a completely black playfield? I just want to be able to see the notes much easier. Why do extra work during an already tough song? If there isn't a way to make the field permanently black for every song then whatever, but if there is then I would like to use it.
Mithos
It is (or will soon be) against the rules to edit the contents of a beatmap in any way. You cannot argue this fact. We understand that some skins are an issue in maps but as you can see, they are being addressed. Just don't play the maps if you don't want to play them the way the creator intended you to do. For the mapper, It's like going to an art museum and ripping up half of their painting, just because you feel you can appreciate the work better without the part you removed.

Plus it creates an unfair advantage for those who WANT to play the map like it was meant to. I'm pretty sure it will be classified as modified client/hacks soon.
Topic Starter
ThisManzzz
Okay, thanks. I see where you're coming from, you're right. Just one thing, I'm not talking about the skin anymore dude. I'm only talking about the background. If you think about it, You can already see the background when choosing the song right? So why not be able to turn it off, it should be part of the "Disable Skin" option. Anyway, I hope that peppy, or whoever does the programming stuff, considers this issue. You don't need to reply to this, as I completely agree with you on what you said about the skins, etc.

Thanks for listening guys :D
those

Mithost wrote:

t's like going to an art museum and ripping up half of their painting, just because you feel you can appreciate the work better without the part you removed.
This applies to the background as well.
Soulclenz
I miss the days when people didn't mind having backgrounds displaying while they played =(.
nanda2009

Soulclenz wrote:

I miss the days when people didn't mind having backgrounds displaying while they played =(.
_Enki

Soulclenz wrote:

I'm still here...enjoying myself :)
Mithos

those wrote:

Mithost wrote:

t's like going to an art museum and ripping up half of their painting, just because you feel you can appreciate the work better without the part you removed.
This applies to the background as well.
That's pretty much it. If you feel a map really can't be played with the visual elements, ask the BAT who ranked it for clarification, and possibly a request to change the visual element.
Heibel
Just play the first time with Nofail on if it's such a big deal
Xiao_old

Mithost wrote:

It is (or will soon be) against the rules to edit the contents of a beatmap in any way. You cannot argue this fact. We understand that some skins are an issue in maps but as you can see, they are being addressed. Just don't play the maps if you don't want to play them the way the creator intended you to do. For the mapper, it's like going to an art museum and ripping up half of their painting, just because you feel you can appreciate the work better without the part you removed.
I don't even know where to begin with this. I'm not going to try to contest the rule stating modifying maps will be labelled cheating, but I still disagree with it.

osu! is still the only rhythm game community I can think of that will frown upon attempting to elevate your gameplay to the next level. I dislike your analogie. osu! is not an art museum; it's a rhythm game with a built-in system for competitive/ranked play. I'd equate your analogy to making an Olympic 100m runner wear a frilly dress and hold streamers because the administration of the games dictates it's more honourable to the games, never mind being a hindrance to the actual finish time. I'm a designer by trade; I appreciate and understand the importance of artistic integrity, values and heritage. Yet I cannot for the life of me see why this has any part in a rhythm game.

DDR/ITG players started holding the bar to clear new boss songs that came along involving strenuous, prolonged movement that were prohibitively difficult without it. FFR players, before speedmods and rotation were enabled, would put pieces of paper on their screen or physically rotate their screen/keymaps to play a chart they'd have difficulty with in order to rank higher. DJMAX Technika players realized you could abuse the infrared sensors to bullshit streams by dragging instead of tapping as intended, or holding notes in order to glitch them causing them to register as hits. I don't even want to get started on O2Jam and double keyboard setups. All these methods were branded undesirable or just outright "cheating"—whether or not they actually were. People used these tactics regardless so long as it wasn't a bannable offense. They understand what it takes to be the best.

Long story short, it's completely absurd to me that so many people believe that impeding ability for a game that's attempting so hard to make ranked play a viable option is less important than forcing people to play with horribly designed imagery that neither adds to gameplay or enjoyment value. I'm sorry if you like watching a pulsating, flashing, rotating background while you're playing—because I sure as hell don't.

My last qualm:

Plus it creates an unfair advantage for those who WANT to play the map like it was meant to.
If you don't want to get ahead, you deserve to be left behind. That's nobody's fault but your own. Why does imposing a handicap on yourself have to drag down those who don't want to?

I guess my disagreement is why I don't post much on these forums at all. I'm almost tempted to refuse usage of my skins in maps because of this mentality.
Soulclenz
I guess Blizzard should just stop fixing exploits and allow maphacks to run rampant in their game so that players can be the best.
Xiao_old

Soulclenz wrote:

I guess Blizzard should just stop fixing exploits and allow maphacks to run rampant in their game so that players can be the best.
You would compare this to hacking? Last I checked, nothing between the client or the server was being altered. Again, this is more along the lines of editing the UI (which WoW players do in fact do) in order to make things like battlegrounds and raids more manageable. That is not against the rules, nor is it unfair—it's available to everybody.

If you honestly believe that ignoring SBs/skins/backgrounds is on the same level as bug exploitation and outright server-side hacking, then I'm not quite sure what I should say to you.
Kommisar
Visual elements are fine, but they only embellish the gameplay. I play with black backgrounds and my own skins all the time. It doesn't change the map itself.
Soulclenz
Alright, my comparison to maphacking was just an extreme so we will scratch that off the list. Exploits are different though, the little things people abuse in games which are fixed a patch or two later because of all the attention it received, i would certainly put that on the same level as this.

I personally don't care whether people want to play with or without a skin, what bothers me is when people complain about having to follow the rules and act like it's impossible to play the game with a skin or background enabled. Off the top of my head I can only think of maybe one instance where i wanted a storyboard gone and I can't even remember what map it was. My opinion of all of this is that people need to grow up.
Valentiino
peppy has said that altering the files in the maps folders is forbidden and considered cheating in the future.

This is his game and he sets the rules, so why not compare it to cheating when the creator says so?
Topic Starter
ThisManzzz
Holy crap, even though I said you did not need to reply, so many people replied. Anyway, I REALLY appreciate what Xiao said, as that was EXACTLY what I was thinking, but since I said "you don't need to reply..." I didn't want to reply -.-

And I'd like to go back to what I was saying... Again... I'm not talking about the fucking skins. I don't give a shit about the skins, I can easily beat the map and use "fun spoiler" to get rid of them. I'm talking about the background. I know that you're indirectly talking about it, but why not talk about it plainly? Just say "Why do you want that? Isn't it cheating? etc."

Also, I too do not consider it as cheating, BUT if people say it will be against the rules, or if and admin tells me I can't, or whatever, then I have nothing against it. One more thing, I only asked for a way to remove the playfield permanently on all maps, be it a third-party program or a setting, because I can easily see the notes in that case.

You seriously do not have to comment. I completely understand there is no way to do what it is I wanted to do, and I respect others' opinions on this matter.
Soulclenz

ThisManzzz wrote:

Holy crap, even though I said you did not need to reply, so many people replied. Anyway, I REALLY appreciate what Xiao said, as that was EXACTLY what I was thinking, but since I said "you don't need to reply..." I didn't want to reply -.-

And I'd like to go back to what I was saying... Again... I'm not talking about the fucking skins. I don't give a shit about the skins, I can easily beat the map and use "fun spoiler" to get rid of them. I'm talking about the background. I know that you're indirectly talking about it, but why not talk about it plainly? Just say "Why do you want that? Isn't it cheating? etc."

Also, I too do not consider it as cheating, BUT if people say it will be against the rules, or if and admin tells me I can't, or whatever, then I have nothing against it. One more thing, I only asked for a way to remove the playfield permanently on all maps, be it a third-party program or a setting, because I can easily see the notes in that case.

You seriously do not have to comment. I completely understand there is no way to do what it is I wanted to do, and I respect others' opinions on this matter.
Why exactly would people not comment on a forum post?
Mythras
biggest issue is the stupid skins having the same colors as the bg. turn off the skin and making the bg darker (which is legal and in the options) should be enough.
xsrsbsns

Xiao wrote:

Mithost wrote:

It is (or will soon be) against the rules to edit the contents of a beatmap in any way. You cannot argue this fact. We understand that some skins are an issue in maps but as you can see, they are being addressed. Just don't play the maps if you don't want to play them the way the creator intended you to do. For the mapper, it's like going to an art museum and ripping up half of their painting, just because you feel you can appreciate the work better without the part you removed.
I don't even know where to begin with this. I'm not going to try to contest the rule stating modifying maps will be labelled cheating, but I still disagree with it.

osu! is still the only rhythm game community I can think of that will frown upon attempting to elevate your gameplay to the next level. I dislike your analogie. osu! is not an art museum; it's a rhythm game with a built-in system for competitive/ranked play. I'd equate your analogy to making an Olympic 100m runner wear a frilly dress and hold streamers because the administration of the games dictates it's more honourable to the games, never mind being a hindrance to the actual finish time. I'm a designer by trade; I appreciate and understand the importance of artistic integrity, values and heritage. Yet I cannot for the life of me see why this has any part in a rhythm game.

DDR/ITG players started holding the bar to clear new boss songs that came along involving strenuous, prolonged movement that were prohibitively difficult without it. FFR players, before speedmods and rotation were enabled, would put pieces of paper on their screen or physically rotate their screen/keymaps to play a chart they'd have difficulty with in order to rank higher. DJMAX Technika players realized you could abuse the infrared sensors to bullshit streams by dragging instead of tapping as intended, or holding notes in order to glitch them causing them to register as hits. I don't even want to get started on O2Jam and double keyboard setups. All these methods were branded undesirable or just outright "cheating"—whether or not they actually were. People used these tactics regardless so long as it wasn't a bannable offense. They understand what it takes to be the best.

Long story short, it's completely absurd to me that so many people believe that impeding ability for a game that's attempting so hard to make ranked play a viable option is less important than forcing people to play with horribly designed imagery that neither adds to gameplay or enjoyment value. I'm sorry if you like watching a pulsating, flashing, rotating background while you're playing—because I sure as hell don't.

My last qualm:

Plus it creates an unfair advantage for those who WANT to play the map like it was meant to.
If you don't want to get ahead, you deserve to be left behind. That's nobody's fault but your own. Why does imposing a handicap on yourself have to drag down those who don't want to?

I guess my disagreement is why I don't post much on these forums at all. I'm almost tempted to refuse usage of my skins in maps because of this mentality.
Have my babies.