forum

Language pop-up first time you launch osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
EmeliaK
After the regular little bout of foreign language on #osu, I came up with this idea:

The first time you launch osu!, a little pop-up box asks you what language you speak. Once you select it, that language will become the default chat tab whenever you open the chat - this can be changed if you want, but by the option, it should say "Not recommended - this chatroom does not speak your language".

For all existing users, the next time they launch osu!, they will get the popup box as well.

The chat language would be saved in the user.config file (thanks, Azure!).
Azure_Kite
It wouldn't need to be bound to either; defaultchattab could just be added to the user.config file in the installation folder.

I support this concept, though.
Topic Starter
EmeliaK

Azure_Kite wrote:

It wouldn't need to be bound to either; defaultchattab could just be added to the user.config file in the installation folder.

I support this concept, though.
Edited, thanks!
deadbeat
might also decrease the number of people speaking foreign languages in #osu
Archangel Tirael
After'll sleep well and I no
longer swell his left eye from
the slightest load, try to sketch
this pop-up dialog to select
their native language.
deadbeat
just so you know, you don't need to draw pictures for every feature request. we understand what the op wants and there is little confusion.

question: what is someone's primary language isn't available as a #language channel
Shino

deadbeat wrote:

might also decrease the number of people speaking foreign languages in #osu
Especially koreans... *facepalm*
Archangel Tirael

deadbeat wrote:

just so you know, you don't need to draw pictures for every feature request. we understand what the op wants and there is little confusion.
I love to draw. Rather, I liked to draw. I would like to share your views about this idea. What if my ideas will form the basis for its implementation?
Archangel Tirael
It did not draw, because he could not find a normal collection of flags. So we'll have to explain words, how would you like to see it.
pop-up dialog should be directly on behalf of the game, not the launcher and not elsewhere. In the dialogue should be "simple" title to the likeness of "Select native language" and below this line will be drawn miniature flags of States. Flags must be placed in alphabetical order. Even if the user does not know the elementary English language, he will be able to guess and click 2 times (this is important. Suddenly, the user does not poked the cursor wherever necessary) to the flag of his native country.
Sakura

Archangel Tirael wrote:

It did not draw, because he could not find a normal collection of flags. So we'll have to explain words, how would you like to see it.
pop-up dialog should be directly on behalf of the game, not the launcher and not elsewhere. In the dialogue should be "simple" title to the likeness of "Select native language" and below this line will be drawn miniature flags of States. Flags must be placed in alphabetical order. Even if the user does not know the elementary English language, he will be able to guess and click 2 times (this is important. Suddenly, the user does not poked the cursor wherever necessary) to the flag of his native country.
I think, considering Bancho already can tell your location, it would be better to just make it automated.
Archangel Tirael

Sakura wrote:

I think, considering Bancho already can tell your location, it would be better to just make it automated.
Bancho well defines the country, but that the city has problems. Of course, I can guess why. When I write "!where Archangel_Tirael" when connected to a server through cable internet, Bancho write the correct information (Magadan, Russian Federation), and when connected via the mobile phone is determined by the city is wrong (Khabarovsk, Russian Federation). Would love to your profile somehow "lock" my location, so it did not change.
dkun
I remember something like this being suggested and talked about ages ago (by myself, actually) about geoIP location and opening the correct language channel upon opening the client for the first time.

do support.
DaddyCoolVipper
Support, if it was automated. I see no reason why this isn't already in.
jemhuntr

Archangel Tirael wrote:

Bancho well defines the country, but that the city has problems. Of course, I can guess why. When I write "!where Archangel_Tirael" when connected to a server through cable internet, Bancho write the correct information (Magadan, Russian Federation), and when connected via the mobile phone is determined by the city is wrong (Khabarovsk, Russian Federation). Would love to your profile somehow "lock" my location, so it did not change.
do you have a different language per city??? Btw, setting it manually would be better.
XPJ38
Indeed. Automation would be a terrible idea since some cities have people talking different languages (Zurich, Brussels, Montreal, etc.)

Personally, I think it would be better to set it before the installation, like most software installers do.