forum

[Proposal] Touhou sources standardization

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Venix
It used to be an unofficial guideline that full touhou game names (for example "東方妖々夢 ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom.") should be prioritized over "東方Project" (this one would be reserved for doujin albums or song compilations of more than one game).

However, I think it would be better to have it as an official RC rule to avoid cases where those are mixed across sets just because the full name is not required. It would work nicely for the sake of consistency, standardization, and accuracy of metadata I believe.

Update:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If a series applicable to be used as a source is clustered into multiple sub-series, the most precise label should be prioritised.
this one already exists in RC so my point is to make it into a rule as having it as a guideline could make people don't really care about it
Pachiru
I agree with that
Bibbity Bill
seems a bit weird to have an rc rule worded specifically for one thing considering it's always been really vague. and at the same time i was always under the impression that the guideline for "If a series applicable to be used as a source is clustered into multiple sub-series, the most precise label should be prioritised." actually covered the touhou series. but if that guideline actually doesn't cover it i'm all for adding one.
pishifat

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If a series applicable to be used as a source is clustered into multiple sub-series, the most precise label should be prioritised.

this rule exists for cases like the touhou franchise and does what your proposal describes so likeeeeeeee
Nao Tomori
most doujin songs are not in the specific game so using specific game doesnt make sense

also its called touhou PROJECT because all the games are under one big umbrella so compartmentalizing them also doesnt make sense
Topic Starter
Venix

Bibbity Bill wrote:

seems a bit weird to have an rc rule worded specifically for one thing considering it's always been really vague. and at the same time i was always under the impression that the guideline for "If a series applicable to be used as a source is clustered into multiple sub-series, the most precise label should be prioritised." actually covered the touhou series. but if that guideline actually doesn't cover it i'm all for adding one.

pishifat wrote:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

this rule exists for cases like the touhou franchise and does what your proposal describes so likeeeeeeee
this is a guideline though so people don't really care about it and use one they prefer

Nao Tomori wrote:

most doujin songs are not in the specific game so using specific game doesnt make sense

also its called touhou PROJECT because all the games are under one big umbrella so compartmentalizing them also doesnt make sense

Venix wrote:

It used to be an unofficial guideline that full touhou game names (for example "東方妖々夢 ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom.") should be prioritized over "東方Project" (this one would be reserved for doujin albums or song compilations of more than one game).

also, osu! metadata used to aim for most official/accurate references so generalizing all touhou games to just "東方Project" doesn't really make sense as well
pishifat

Venix wrote:

this is a guideline though so people don't really care about it and use one they prefer

where have you seen this happening?
Topic Starter
Venix

pishifat wrote:

Venix wrote:

where have you seen this happening?
well, maybe that statement was quite too bold, here's an example though: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/955873/discussion/-/generalAll#/926492
Nao Tomori
but, in that example, akatsuki records is a doujin circle who made a song based on a touhou theme, but it isn't in the game, so using the game there would not make sense. that's what i mean.

like for original zun songs it makes sense
Topic Starter
Venix
covers/remixes used to require same source as original arrangements though, i think it's a similar case
xenal
Keeping th as exemple, Remixes are sometimes more a song inspired by a character more than it's theme in the first place. A lot of songs sound nowhere near the song it is supposed to remix. An other issue with touhou, let's say I do a remix of Loved master spark thingIdon'tknowfullname, isn't there like 3-4+ version of that song by ZUN that have similar beat? Then what is the game I am supposed to link?

While I agree that source of the original should be used, cases where the inspiration isn't from a particular game/anime, the context? should be used instead, in this case thproject. Additionnaly, answering this last question isn't always trivial and opinion about source can be mixed.
pishifat
https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2453 will be pending for a few days for last minute input

for this change, there's a small clarification for the unclear/multiple original sources case
pishifat
merged