forum

[Rule] Timing

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
those
My intention is solely for that gain, and not to make people go through extra effort. We can try to be just satisfactory, or we can strive for improvement. Which would you rather?
Sakura
There's no need for a perfect offset on the unmapped sections,if anything an average BPM, since all that we want is the osu! cookie to pulse right isnt it? and a bunch of red lines would just make it go crazy.
Card N'FoRcE

Sakura wrote:

There's no need for a perfect offset on the unmapped sections,if anything an average BPM, since all that we want is the osu! cookie to pulse right isnt it?
This answers perfectly.
The intention to have unmapped sections timed is ok, but if having to spend hours to achieve that it's just plain stupid. If the timing is simple then add it, if not add an average.
Topic Starter
those

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

The intention to have unmapped sections timed is ok,..
If the timing is simple then add it, if not add an average.
Great solution.
Sakura
So now the next question is, how do we ammend it to cover that.
Ekaru
"Your map must be perfectly timed and unmapped portions of the song must be adequately timed."

Or you could just go, "The entire song (even unmapped portions) must be perfectly timed".

Both amendments would have a part saying that the reason to time unmapped portions of the song is for Taiko bars and the main menu, of course, in which case it'd be implied that it wouldn't have to be bloody perfect, though you might have to state that too if some super nazis start being super duper nazis.

However, the easiest way would be to split it up into two smaller rules. "Your map must be perfectly timed" and "Unmapped portions of your song must be adequately timed". One's done for gameplay and the other is for musical correctness, so they have different standards and could justify being split up with their own justifications.
Luvdic
So that includes the intros that most of the time has "senseless" timing?
Sakura
what about adding "If the unmapped sections of the song have an awkward timing you may use an average BPM"
Topic Starter
those

ErufenRito wrote:

So that includes the intros that most of the time has "senseless" timing?
Not too sure what kind of songs you're listening to that most have intros like that, but if you need help I can help you time it.
HakuNoKaemi
Rule
The draining time of your map must be *perfectly timed. This means that your BPM and offset are spot-on, sliders end when they should, notes are generally following a recognizable rhythm (such as the lyrics or drums) which is comprehensible by a player, and that there are no unsnapped notes (you can check this by running AIMod (shortcut ctrl+shift+a) in the editor).
*perfectly means "the most accurate it can get"

+
Guideline
The non-mapped parts of your maps should have an adequate timing, especially when that part timing is easy to find. When finding a right timing is too hard, just try to get an average timing and see if the menu osu! logo is pulsing rightly.

just the idea of using a Rule and a Guideline. Since the rule have to be imposed and the guideline isn't so imposable,
Mithos
Honestly if the song is dead silence for a few seconds I wouldn't mind if the BPM of the next part (the first part with a beat) is placed in there instead.
HakuNoKaemi
something to stop the pulse directly will be better
Lybydose
timing unmapped sections, especially slow downs at the end of a song or a bridge or whatever, is a colossal waste of time.

such a rule would exist just to piss people off
Nyquill

Lybydose wrote:

timing unmapped sections, especially slow downs at the end of a song or a bridge or whatever, is a colossal waste of time.

What I'm most concerned with is what about sections that don't really have a timing? Some songs have breaks in them that don't really follow a certain BPM.

Otherwise, I don't have an issue with this amendment.
Ephemeral

Nyquill wrote:

Lybydose wrote:

What I'm most concerned with is what about sections that don't really have a timing? Some songs have breaks in them that don't really follow a certain BPM.

break across untimable duration and retime once the song can be timed again?
wmfchris

Nyquill wrote:

Lybydose wrote:

Called rubato musically. Another case is when the change in speed goes continuously not on every beat then it's useless to time it correct for the sake of the cookies in the title screen.

In almost all cases the breaks are either having a constant BPM as usual, or having timing that is impossible to measure, and both cases don't need extra timing.

LKs
not a bad proposal. But time like the intro of the map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/50766 is an example of time wasting
lolcubes
Your map must be perfectly timed. This means that your BPM and offset are spot-on, sliders end when they should, notes are generally following a recognizable rhythm (such as the lyrics or drums) which is comprehensible by a player, and that there are no unsnapped notes (you can check this by running AIMod (shortcut ctrl+shift+a) in the editor).
I don't see anything here that says about breaks or unmapped parts. I guess if a person chooses to time it, why not, but I don't think it needs forcing as it has no impact on gameplay.
Sakura
As everyone here has forgotten apparently, the reason this rule is being suggested is so that even on the unmapped parts the osu! cookie has the correct pulsing, although i dont think this is a strong reason to bring forth this as a rule i just thought i'd remind you guys in case you had forgotten.
Lybydose
a pulsing logo that has zero effect on gameplay is not a reason to waste large amounts of time on something that's probably not even correct to begin with
ziin

Lybydose wrote:

a pulsing logo that has zero effect on gameplay is not a reason to waste large amounts of time on something that's probably not even correct to begin with
Don't waste large amounts of time it then. Take an average or drop a uninherited on each downbeat. And it does have an effect on taiko.
Frostmourne
I'd agree if it's just a guideline.

But if I see some map be unranked just because it doesn't have perfect timing.
I think it might be stupid rule ever.
HakuNoKaemi

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Rule
The draining time of your map must be *perfectly timed. This means that your BPM and offset are spot-on, sliders end when they should, notes are generally following a recognizable rhythm (such as the lyrics or drums) which is comprehensible by a player, and that there are no unsnapped notes (you can check this by running AIMod (shortcut ctrl+shift+a) in the editor).
*perfectly means "the most accurate it can get"

+
Guideline
The non-mapped parts of your maps should have an adequate timing, especially when that part timing is easy to find. When finding a right timing is too hard, just try to get an average timing and see if the menu osu! logo is pulsing rightly.

just the idea of using a Rule and a Guideline. Since the rule have to be imposed and the guideline isn't so imposable,
maybe even better as a Recommendation
Luvdic
I'm still against it. It's much better to add an option like "Non-timed section" to the uninherited timing sections so the osu! cookie won't pulse or something like that.
HakuNoKaemi
or maybe pulse every peak?
lolcubes
I don't want to be mean or anything, but why are we wasting time on something that makes absolutely no difference? Lybydose is right, this doesn't affect gameplay at all and is a waste of time. If a person wants to do it, sure, if not, that's ok too.

I really see no problem here.

ziin wrote:

Don't waste large amounts of time it then. Take an average or drop a uninherited on each downbeat. And it does have an effect on taiko.
It doesn't. The only way it would affect it is if you had a break where a BPM/downbeat/offset change would occur. Putting a red line where appropriate (during a break) was always done already, I think. edit: Unless it was impossible because the music was incomprehensible, or something.
Also it only affects the visual of the taiko where the break occurs, and when notes come everything goes back to normal anyway.
Timing before or after the map just to see your cookie pulsing correctly, now that's what I think this was all about, and is a waste of time.
Sakura
Guess so far this is going into a no change, need further feedback tho.
Mithos
I'm going to argue that it throws taiko players off if the intro has badly timed bar lines. You expect some crazy (or sluggish) Approach Rate but then it finally equalizes as soon as the first note comes up.
Drafura
I know it's a bit late but what about nightcore mod ? We can hear the offsync during breaks. Okay this isn't affecting gameplay but this is really ugly.
Makar

Mithost wrote:

I'm going to argue that it throws taiko players off if the intro has badly timed bar lines. You expect some crazy (or sluggish) Approach Rate but then it finally equalizes as soon as the first note comes up.
In that case just start the timing point early? Since the intro will be wrong anyway, might as well.
TheVileOne
Why is this even bubbled? There's like no support for this by people who matter.

I know it's going to happen eventually, but really, the OP doesn't even have an updated version of what this rule will look like.
Sakura
did you bother reading my post? the bubble is when everyone's reaching a concensus, in this case said consensus is "No change"
TheVileOne
Sorry. I was not in the best of moods after I saw the Vocaloid rule that was amended. So if this is no change, why isn't it denied yet.
Sakura
You're right.