forum

Play Osu! in Ubuntu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AgumonDX
Hello. I am a normal user of windows, but i installed as a secondary SO in my computer the ubuntu. I want to play osu! with the linux, but i need a program called wine. I installed it, with all the libraries and all the stuff. I can install osu, but when i try to open it, it never starts!

What can i do?

Greetings!
Echo
To the best of my knowledge you will also need to use mono since osu uses .NET. I'm not sure exactly how to make it work though.
Topic Starter
AgumonDX
I try to use mono, but maybe i dont know how to use it, or maybe its broken, i dont know.
I have two programs for windows emulation in the ubuntu: wine and mono, but i dont know how to use both.
Sorry for my english.
Anyone knows how to use mono in a simple way?
Greetings!
nuudles
I think there are still some Windows-specific calls made by osu! and therefore Mono won't run it until all of those are gone.
peppy
I have heard reports that Virtualbox will run osu! successfully under linux. I have also heard reports that WINE will too assuming you get it setup correctly. This does take a bit of technical knowledge at the moment, though.
Topic Starter
AgumonDX
Anyone knows that configuration for wine?
mattyu007
I don't think you need to do anything special to your wine install - Just use winetricks to install .NET 2.0 and then try to run osu.

I don't think it's going to work :p
nuudles
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
wine seemed to react rather positively to the installer, but I don't have enough RAM for it (min req 256MB).
Topic Starter
AgumonDX

nuudles wrote:

Didn't work last time I tried. May have better luck with Codeweavers.
What is Codeweavers?
mattyu007
Topic Starter
AgumonDX
The osu team can make a linux version of the exe of osu?

I think is the only solution, maybe.
peppy
Uhuh, eventually, sure.
Topic Starter
AgumonDX
:) Good
I think is the only solution. Everything failed.
HarZens
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

HarZens wrote:

I tried EVERYTHING (almost literaly)

couldn't even make it start

the only way would be to emulate a win OS with vbox or qemu and run osu inside

but, it would be pretty damn nice to be able to play the game on linux :(!

(i still have a win install for gaming)
Read:

peppy wrote:

Uhuh, eventually, sure.
See anything in the news about an osu! for Linux? No? Okay then.

VirtualBox is a solution to run osu! on Mac and *nix so use that. A native version (i.e. one working with Mono) probably won't come out for a while.
HarZens

strager wrote:

HarZens wrote:

Read:

peppy wrote:

Uhuh, eventually, sure.

VirtualBox is a solution to run osu! on Mac and *nix so use that. A native version (i.e. one working with Mono) probably won't come out for a while.
so basically, what you are saying is that if i don't see news about crime going down in a city, i shouldn't ask for help and saying i want a better city ? nice.

so adding "yea it would be nice" it's stupid and shouldn't be there either. nice x2.

sometimes you guys act like complete morons.

don't get me wrong, but it's the truth. you can be nicer with people asking for help/opinions. there's not need to be sarcastic or bad with that person. it's the second thread i post where i get treated like a complete 14 yo noob saying "hey sup lulz me wants linux osu !!111!!" when in fact i'm trying to make a point and give help.

oh and btw, virtualbox is NOT the solution to run osu! under mac/linux. virtualbox is to run another OS inside yours, being Windows inside Linux in this particular case, and then running osu! inside the REAL windows. So it's not a solution, it's the same as having windows installed in another partition and using it in windows :)
Gabi

HarZens wrote:

strager wrote:

HarZens wrote:

Read:

peppy wrote:

Uhuh, eventually, sure.

so basically, what you are saying is that if i don't see news about crime going down in a city, i shouldn't ask for help and saying i want a better city ? nice.

so adding "yea it would be nice" it's stupid and shouldn't be there either. nice x2.

don't get me wrong, but it's the truth. you can be nicer with people asking for help/opinions. there's not need to be sarcastic or bad with that person. it's the second thread i post where i get treated like a complete 14 yo noob saying "hey sup lulz me wants linux osu !!111!!" when in fact i'm trying to make a point and give help.

oh and btw, virtualbox is NOT the solution to run osu! under mac/linux. virtualbox is to run another OS inside yours, being Windows inside Linux in this particular case, and then running osu! inside the REAL windows. So it's not a solution, it's the same as having windows installed in another partition and using it in windows :)
agreed, some just like sitting on forums trying to make others look stupid.
anonymous_old

HarZens wrote:

If Nintendo says "We are going to release a new console" and you don't see the release of the new console in the news, would you expect it to have happened? Probably not.

HarZens wrote:

What?

HarZens wrote:

Thanks, but I think I already knew that.

HarZens wrote:

Well you are acting like a 14-year-old noob. Or a troll. Or both.

Basically, read before you post.

HarZens wrote:

Let's see.

Problem: play osu! while running Linux.
Possible solution: play osu! in Windows while running Linux. (VM)
Possible solution: play osu! using Mono while running Linux. (VM)
Possible solution: play osu! using a native Linux executable.
Possible solution: play osu! in Windows with a Linux VM.

Also, it's not the same as having Windows on another part. Unless you're doing it wrong.
mattyu007
This thread is useless, if a solution comes up, feel free to post in somewhere like General Dev.

No use arguing about crap, locking