forum

What is a proper workflow?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
subbie6
I guess a another way to say it is how do I approach mapping? I tryed my hand at mapping a while back in late 2017 and one of the things I struggled with was the speed at which I mapped, I would spend an hour only to find that I mapped 3-5 seconds of the song. I believe the main reason for this was my lack of thought when approaching the editor, I simply just mapped from the beginning of the song onwards. I was overthinking towards the implications a certain pattern may for the future of the map as well as the overall themes I should follow with my map and if what I was doing fit that. However maybe if I had a better idea for what the future parts of the maps would look like I could've worked faster. So I'm wondering if there's a more organized approach that I should be taking rather than simply mapping as the song goes on.
Should I be laying out the basic rhythm that I'll be following first then shift them into patterns afterwards? Should I focus my attention to mapping the more climactic sections first and then make sure the calm sections transition into them well? Where should I start? I assume as you get more experienced you can put things together faster, but I'm just curious as to how you all approach the editor and if there is a better order I should be doing things in.
lewski
Stuff like making the rhythm first or mapping sections out of order is just a matter of preference. Try those methods out and see if they suit you; if they do, cool! If they don't, no big deal.

Personally, when I start mapping a song, I listen to it once, marking sections with bookmarks and kiais and paying attention to the song's structure so that I can reflect it in my map. Then I just start mapping from the beginning of the song. Bookmarks and kiais make it easier for me to know where I currently am in the song, while taking mental notes about the song's structure gives me a pretty good idea of things like how difficult each section should be, what kinds of themes I'll use, spots where I'll do something really special, etc.

Now, that's a lot of abstract concepts to keep in mind when you're just starting out, so I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to copy my approach 1:1. Instead, just map more. You'll get faster naturally as you get more used to relating circles and sliders to music and learn to use the editor more efficiently. The shortcuts are especially good to memorise; selecting the circle and slider tools with 2 and 3 respectively is way faster than clicking the icons, for example.
Topic Starter
subbie6
I see, I'll heed your advice and not copy what you do exactly however I think I'll try laying out basic bookmarks whilst timing the next map I do. Do you think I should bother with mapping multiple difficulties for the same song when I'm starting out or just pump out a variety of songs to efficiently improve my understanding of things? As for editor commands are there any tricks using them that are essential that I should know of? I've heard a lot of people use sliders to make streams and that by using copy paste functions you can increase your efficiency by a fair amount, other than that though I'm in the dark. Either way, thanks for the answer. c:
lewski
Mapping multiple diffs of different levels for the same song makes you better at handling different difficulty levels (this means low diffs for pretty much everyone) so yeah it's useful

Good editor stuff:
- selecting object types with 1-4
- new combo with Q
- reversing things with ctrl + G
- flipping with ctrl + H and J
- rotating with ctrl + shift + R
- rotating 90° with ctrl + < and > or whatever the two keys to the right of M are on your layout
- scaling with ctrl + shift + S
- adding a green line (for changing sv etc) with ctrl + shift + P
- slider to stream with ctrl + shift + F
Topic Starter
subbie6
Alright, good to know. Thanks again.