forum

Am I taking the necessary steps to improving at the game?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
X3N0NW0LF
Ive been playing osu seriously for about a month (give or take a week) and I can see myself improving a lot. Maps that I used to dread are light to me now. In my eyes, improving is trying to complete the highest difficulty map you possibly can, and this is the path ive been taking to improve recently. My latest feat is Feint - Vagrant [Noz's Insane], at 4.89*.

I am steadily climbing difficulty, but my rank says otherwise. As of writing this post, I am rank 502,763. Compared to the difficulty of the songs I am completing, I feel like I am climbing the ranks incredibly slow.

Am I trying to improve wrong? Is there a technique that works better than this? Should I be playing lower difficulty maps and trying to master them rather than going for these 4.5* - 5* maps?
UnnamedBeast
rank doesn't matter
SunriseAbsence

UnnamedBeast wrote:

rank doesn't matter

Unless you have numberphilia.
Mentally Insane
You Should Start Playing like .5 higher than what u can comfortably fc. So if you can comfortably fc like 4.0 stars then u should play 4.5-5.0 star maps until u can comfortably fc those too.

You should also be able to consistently fc that star range before u move. Meaning that just because you fced one 5 star doesn't mean you should move up.

I think that could help. I remember jus trying to randomly pass the highest star I can but I don't think that works to improve.

But ofc you can just play more.

And yes, rank doesn't matter. Your rank is just lower than your stars because of how fast your star rating is going up.
Vuelo Eluko

sadly with these plays... you're unlikely to get anywhere fast. You need to pull like bare minimum 3k a month to really soar. and spread out, don't spam retries either. The more the better.
raccoongamer

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

sadly with these plays... you're unlikely to get anywhere fast. You need to pull like bare minimum 3k a month to really soar. and spread out, don't spam retries either. The more the better.

You ARE going to get better, don’t force yourself to play more than you like

To Vuelo Eluko: 3k tries without spam retrying is like 3-6k minutes a month, which means 100-200 minutes of osu EVERY SINGLE DAY, that’s mental, where do you get these unrealistic expectations on gameplay time?
nniin
-
lewski

raccoongamer wrote:

3-6k minutes a month, which means 100-200 minutes of osu EVERY SINGLE DAY, that’s mental, where do you get these unrealistic expectations on gameplay time?

The harsh truth is that if you want to get good at something, you have to do it a lot. If you only practice a little bit at a time, you'll take longer to reach "a lot". You'll obviously still improve, just at a slower rate. Playing osu! a shit ton isn't for everyone, sure, but OP indicated that they want to improve faster and Vueko's answer is correct.

but

@OP: You probably are climbing star rating more quickly than ranks, and as you suspected, it's because of how you're trying to improve. Barely passing a map is worth absolutely nothing compared to getting good scores on easier maps; you'll get more pp (performance points, the thing your rank is based on) from a full combo on a Hard diff than from barely passing a 7* map. If you want to gain ranks faster, play lots of different maps you can just about get a full combo on and move up as you improve.

However, rank isn't everything in the game. It only reflects your ability to get good scores on maps, not your ability to pass hard maps. Whether you prefer passing hard maps or setting nearly perfect scores on easier ones, you should play the way you like to play.