forum

Long question

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cjoc
Backstory: So I saw a song called Camellia-LET'S JUMP(Camellia's diffractive Hardcore Remix) in the ranked section for taiko and I liked the song but there was no osu! version so I thought I'd try mapping a bit of it and for someone who's never mapped before I thought the short bit I did was kind of good and I wanted to post it here for others to finish if they wanted but since I didn't start from scratch(the timing and such was already done, I just needed to place the hit circles into patterns) I cant post it as its not mine.

I was wondering if there was a way I could make it mine I guess? like keep just what I've done and put it in the work in progress section?

TL;DR: can I use someone else's setup of a map to make my own?( I'm guessing not btw)
xenal
So in the end you just kept mp3 and timing (I guess bg as well)? You are not very clear. If it is, https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/916983
Your Good Self
If you imported someone else's map and then saved your difficulties in there, then the metadata will say that the new diffs 'belong' to the original uploader as they are considered part of the same set. If you want to upload your stuff you have to create a new beatmapset by importing a 'new' mp3 file.

Just take the mp3 file from the other map (via File > Open Song Folder) then import the mp3 via dragging it into the edit mode song select screen. You can fill out the metadata and timing data for the new beatmap based on the information in the other beatmap (other than creator name, you imported a 'new' mp3 file so the new beatmap will have you as the creator). You can then upload the newly created beatmap as your own.

tl;dr: You can't use someone else's beatmapset wholesale to upload your own stuff but it's just a matter of creating another set under your own name. There's nothing wrong with using the same metadata and red timing point data as those are constant, objective information.