forum

More friendly Taiko mapping interface [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
tetsutaro
I am thinking that an addition of another mapping interface that is exclusively for Taiko mode would be much more convenient for mappers.

Changing Interfaces
Alternative 1. When a mapper chooses to make a map exclusive for Taiko mode, the interface automatically change.
Alternative 2. Manual checkbox or drop-down menu option (e.g. "Taiko Interface")
Alternative 3. Allow choosing once entering editing mode of a map (like a "mapping wizard" sort of thing)

Buttons
Instead of two sides of buttons, only keep those on the left side.
And instead of select, circle, slider, spinner buttons, now there should be 4 new buttons: select, don, kat, drum roll

Center Plotting Interface
A large, intuitive horizontal scrolling bar, that look a lot like the real bar in gameplay.
The original timing bar at the top can be removed.

How to Map
Basically, choose the kind of note you want and click the respective location in the time line.
For drum rolls, click at the starting point, and then scroll to and click at the ending point. (Like sliders now)

For large notes:
Alternative 1. Put the same note in one place twice to make it large. (Only for single don/kat notes)
Alternative 2. Changing plotting modes with a drop-down. All notes plotted will be large unless it is changed again.
Alternative 3. Right-click an already placed note to change it to a large note.

For special notes:
Alternative 1. Multiple insertion of drum rolls (very difficult to implement)
Alternative 2. Changing plotting modes with a drop-down. All drum rolls plotted will be of that kind unless it is changed again.
Alternative 3. Right-click an already placed drum roll to change its kind.

Others
Support in Taiko SB modding similar to this interface. (The whole Taiko scrolling bar is provided for better location and movements)
boat
Most if it is already easily controllable with the keyboard. R to alternate between kats and dons, E to make it big.

Personally, I don't find the standard interface to be particularly "unfriendly". I do agree with the scrolling bar being visible in the design mode tho.
Topic Starter
tetsutaro
I know that, but it took an awful lot time to get used the current interface.
If these are not to be implemented, at least put a few visually enhancing slides of tutorial when a mapper first maps in Taiko-only
But yes, the scrolling bar is the most important part of this suggestion.
Kuro
I was thinking of something like this not too long ago
Bump /o/
Topic Starter
tetsutaro
Thank you! And knowing mapping is done in Taiko Sanjiro makes this request much more justified.

osu! Taiko already wins a streak by having automated timing algorithms and intuitive skinning and storyboarding features. If these are implemented this will make osu! much more competitive in the creation of Taiko maps.
deadbeat
t/49527 there is this. so i think this could be a dupe :<
Sakura
Yes, i could copy this OP into the original one tho with his permission.
Kuro
Ouch, duped almost an hour after bumping

It would be a waste to let all of his ideas go to waste though... :?
deadbeat

Kuro wrote:

that's not too bad, i've had things dupe'd in under 5 minutes xD
Sakura

Kuro wrote:

Sakura wrote:

I could copy this OP into the original one tho with his permission.
Topic Starter
tetsutaro
I dunno, mine is very different from that one...
1. I was thinking the scrollbar moved to the middle at toggle, exactly the size and place where it would have been in play, to allow better SB environment.
2. Notes will be added to points on the scrollbar. In effect to the .osu file the location is automatically set to the center.
3. Sidebar button revamp to replace hitsound combinations that may confuse first-timers

*looks back* Basically I am requesting a new Taiko specific editor.
But if you can merge the two, go ahead.

Also why are my requests always get duped only after months? I posted that Before there were osu!mania for public.
Kuro

deadbeat wrote:

Kuro wrote:

that's not too bad, i've had things dupe'd in under 5 minutes xD
lol, I've seen users get their request dupe'd like that because someone pulls up an ancient thread that no one knew even existed :lol:

Sakura wrote:

Kuro wrote:

Sakura wrote:

I could copy this OP into the original one tho with his permission.
Sorry, I didn't even see your post :P
Sakura

Kuro wrote:

lol, I've seen users get their request dupe'd like that because someone pulls up an ancient thread that no one knew even existed :lol:
Fun fact: We find those ancient threads with the search button.