forum

Can skipped difficulties spread rankable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zelzatter Zero
Hey guys, so according to Ranking Criteria...

• If the drain time of each difficulty is...
  1. ...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal. For hybrid beatmapsets that include osu! difficulties, the additional modes' lowest difficulties cannot be harder than a Hard.
  2. ...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
  3. ...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
  4. ...anything higher, the beatmapset is exempt from reasonable spread rules.

So if I had a song which drain time is 3:30 and I make two difficulties, Easy and Extra, according to the Ranking Criteria, my mapet is rankable (since my lowest difficulty is Easy).

But in reality, I can barely (or never) see ranked mapset with that kind of spread.

Why does that happen?
Your Good Self
What you suggested does not comply with Reasonable Spread rules.

Reasonable spread: A beatmapset that does not skip any difficulty levels as dictated by difficulty-specific rules and guidelines, starting from the lowest difficulty level required for the song's length, and does not have any drastically large differences between difficulties. This includes beatmapsets that feature only a single difficulty.

Single-mode beatmapsets must form a reasonable spread. This spread must comply with its respective mode's difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria.

Simply put, you should not be 'skipping' difficulties between your easiest and hardest diff. If you map only Easy and Extra, skipping Normal/Hard/Insane, then that would be unrankable due to reasonable spread rules.
lewski
To be pedantic, reasonable spread doesn't apply to diffs below the lowest that's required for the length of the song. For example, an EHIX set with 3:30 drain is perfectly rankable, but people don't rank sets like that because it's kinda stupid