forum

Is having one difficulty in a set rankable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Squishy lul
Basically I made a ctb map for beginners, (a cup difficulty) And I've been told that I might have to add another difficulty such as a salad in order for it to be ranked.

I'm not sure how the ranking system works when it comes to sets but can a set be ranked with only one difficulty?
Your Good Self
Caveat: I can only speak for osu!standard. As far as I know the same rules should apply, unless there's some CtB-specific thing that I'm not aware of.

As of a couple years ago, there was indeed a rule in the Ranking Criteria that non-marathon (under 5 minutes of drain time) maps must have at least 2 diffs. However, I don't see this rule anymore in the current Ranking Criteria.

If your song is short you should definitely try mapping additional diffs to avoid looking lazy. But if the song is long enough, you just might be able to get away with it.

Easy maps have been ranked before as the sole difficulty of the mapset. See https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/386282#osu/843477.
xenal
Easy(cup) and normals(salad) can be ranked with any drain time (as long as drain time is respecting the minimum). Above thoses difficulties, that's where more spread rules applies.
Topic Starter
Squishy lul
Okay, thank you both.
dennischan
A set can be ranked with only E or only N with any drain time. However, there aren't that much BNs interested in ranking only E or only N sets for a song as they view that as contributing nearly nothing to the ranking section.

So in a practical sense, it is not suggested to try and rank sets with only E or N.