forum

When to use Streams?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
galactiknight
I realized while I was mapping my song that I never thought of using streams. Although the song does not seem to warrant a stream, I have wondered where/when a stream can be used properly in a song.

One song I thought a stream may be appropriate is with “Scatman” by Scatman John, right as the song starts for example.
Another case could be where there are really fast drums if it is the main instrument playing. I feel that this may be redundant/unimportant if there are vocals on top of it. But this may just depend on the song.

I am just not sure when exactly a stream would be appropriate, and it may be due to my limited exposure to other types of songs. Anyway, please don't be mean, thanks! :)
Your Good Self
Streams are used when there is a string of rapid, similar notes. Depending on the music the rhythm can be 1/3, 1/4 or 1/6 but usually not faster than that due to difficulty (consider using kick sliders instead).

As you noted, rapid vocals, drumrolls or other instruments playing notes at 1/4 rhythm are good candidates for streams. Some examples include:
  1. Hatsune Miku no Gekishou
  2. Every DragonForce map ever
  3. Freedom Dive
  4. Shinsekai
  5. Ascension to Heaven

By the way, I also had a quick look at your pending map and it feels like it should be 200BPM and half the SV (2.80 -> 1.40) instead, so you might want to get that looked at.

A 1/4 stream in a 200BPM song is going to be harder than a 1/4 stream at, say, 160BPM. If it gets a lot more difficult than the rest of the map (due to high speed or length) then you may want to consider undermapping or adding some kick sliders for recovery.

Edit: Streams don't necessarily have to be very long like the examples above. If I'm not mistaken you could put five 1/4 hitcircles (one beat's worth) and call it a stream, but I'm not very familiar with today's mapping standards.
Topic Starter
galactiknight
It didn't occur to me that I can streams that short, I thought it would need long like that "Scatman" example. So thanks for bringing that up. :)
BTW, I don't plan/couldn't think of a place to add a stream in "Kids," I was just curious about it.

In regards to the bpm, Xenal said in an earlier post that it should be 100 bpm instead of the original 200 bpm because of the main beat during the "chorus" (I am not sure if I'm using that term correctly :P). After working with 100 bpm for a while, I actually prefer 100 bpm over 200 bpm that I used before, it makes head bobbin' a lot easier.

Thanks! :)
Your Good Self

galactiknight wrote:

BTW, I don't plan/couldn't think of a place to add a stream in "Kids," I was just curious about it.

That's alright. I don't see a way to add streams either, other than overmapping which is another can of worms.

I just thought that it'd be great if I could use your maps as an example. The potential timing issue was just something I encountered along the way.

On that note, I do thing that the chorus is supposed to be 200BPM with only the 1st and 3rd beats containing drums.
  1. At the start you have strong beats on the 1st and 3rd beats at 100BPM. If it were 200BPM the strong beats will align with every first 1st beat/long white tick/"downbeat".
  2. 01:35:551 (1,2,3) - 1/8 notes are a big red flag. In most songs, this is a 1/4 rhythm rather than 1/8.

But then again, it's my word against Xenal's, so you might want to get an extra opinion.
Topic Starter
galactiknight
After listening to it for a bit, I think I could make out 2 distinct and alternating drum beats (I am not sure if this is a case of confirmation bias :P). Now that I have identified, I see what you're saying.
By having it at 200 bpm, the bigger beat lands at the beginning of every measure, allowing for a 1/4 subdivision.

But I agree that I may need to get an extra opinion. :P

Btw, is there another name I can call you by? What about Youri :)?