forum

[Archived] The beatmap database keeps corrupting

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GamerKitty2002
Problem details:
This problem has now occured 5 times throughout the year and I need a fix for it.
I don't really care about local scores but my collections also disappear and dealing with this issue is really annoying.

For your information:
I have 95k beatmaps and it takes ~5 hours to recalculate the difficulty of maps.
I have tried reinstalling OSU! and redownloading all the maps.
I have tried playing OSU! in compatibility mode (I don't think that even has anything to do with the database though).
This problem sometimes occurs when I start OSU!
Until now I dealt with this issue by making a backup of the database file.

Screenshot showing the problem:
https://prnt.sc/nryscd
Here I just lost 5k beatmaps.
This loss varies and there have been times where I lost 25k beatmaps.

To be honest I don't think this problem can be solved easily as posts about this problem on Reddit
didn't help either.

Thanks in advance for the help!

osu! version: Stable 20190513.2 (latest)
-Hanamaru-
I've experience the same thing too but you don't have to re-install your osu client just to get it back.

Have you tried refreshing your beatmaps by clicking F5? or maybe the hard drive corrupt. ( tbh no idea tho )

Also it will take a time to re-calculate the star difficulty because you have a lot of maps and it depends on your internet connection/bancho servers.
MillhioreF
Unfortunately, the database is more likely to corrupt the more maps you have, just because saving it takes much longer than saving a small database and any kind of crash or windows hiccup occurring while osu! is performing a background save is likely to corrupt it. The best advice I can offer is to make sure never to close osu! via task manager or any other kind of force quit, and to keep semi-regular backups of osu.db and collections.db to prevent full reconstruction (you'll still have to process your maps every time you restore from backup but it should go much more quickly than 5 hours)
Reizouko

MillhioreF wrote:

Unfortunately, the database is more likely to corrupt the more maps you have, just because saving it takes much longer than saving a small database and any kind of crash or windows hiccup occurring while osu! is performing a background save is likely to corrupt it. The best advice I can offer is to make sure never to close osu! via task manager or any other kind of force quit, and to keep semi-regular backups of osu.db and collections.db to prevent full reconstruction (you'll still have to process your maps every time you restore from backup but it should go much more quickly than 5 hours)

It happens to me too. Quite regularly like every other day.
I have about 90k maps. It doesnt really bother me that my scores are gone after I reconstruct all my maps but it is kind of annoying cause it takes about 20-30 minutes to finish.

Noticing your post is only one month old I guess there still is no solution for this problem?

I'd really like to help in the matter but my knowledge is too limited to be of any help.
All I can say is that this didn't happen until I got "Various Speed Practice Packs"
Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Would like to hear from anyone who can tell us all more about the issue.

Thanks and regards.
Jodekun

MillhioreF wrote:

sorry for reviving ancient thread(can bump this into a new one if requested), but the exact same thing this post mentions happened to me today (https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/678117406304108544-1090138455511670814-image.png?width=788&height=242), and I can't find any other recent threads mentioning this

2019(https://github.com/ppy/osu-stable-issues/issues/151)
2019(https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/922632?n=1)

i have a map count of over 30k (i like downloading maps), and when osu tried to fix the database, I lost a chunk of songs from the osu app like the initial post shows. (they still are, luckily in the songs folder)

have there been any updates/fixes on this issue in the past 4 yrs, or is my database folder doomed to roll for luck everytime I open osu from now on?

willing to provide any log info possible to help in the search for a fix so players with large map collections don't have to suffer a complete wipe of local scores bc of this

any and all help greatly appreciated, danke