forum

Learning Taiko as a Mania Player + Taikomania Fixed Skin

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dudamesh
Introduction

So I first joined osu on June 2017, with previous experience on games like O2 Jam, I naturally gravitated toward osu!mania just recently however, I started playing osu!taiko as well and I'd like to share my experience and maybe teach other mania players how they can also start playing taiko as I did

Taikomania Skin

I'd like to introduce this skin to Mania players, it's the Taikomania skin from this forum post by arpia
I have edited it so as to fix the fatal flaw that is big circles being indistinguishable from normal circles
Pro Tip:
Use Ctrl + Alt + Left Arrow to rotate your screen so it downscrolls, use Right Arrow for upscroll and use Up Arrow to revert to normal.
Screenshots

Regular Circles
Big Circles transparent bigger bar, tap both keys
DrumrollsTap one colour multiple times
Dendens/ShakersAlternate between Red/Blue
Download (5/19/19)

My Experience in Taiko

I started Taiko a week ago and ever since, I have (at the time I am making this post) 4h 15m of playtime and 1095pp and can finish 4* and FC 3* maps.
To be frankly honest, I owe it all to the taikomania skin, it helped me visualize a lot of patterns in taiko and relate it to patterns in mania that I already know.

At first, I became curious on taiko when I've watched pishi's video about trying to learn how to map taiko, in there, I learned that Red circles corresponded to Low pitch beats and Blue circles corresponded to High pitch beats, knowing this helped a lot in guessing notes when I first started on songs that I already know of.

I easily FC'd a Futsuu (NM) diff map, and quickly moved on to Muzukashii (HD) diffs. At first, the hardest patterns I have encountered were 1/4 rhythms that are Blue as I had to tap A and K or do a jack K-K which easily becomes hard to do (I use ASJK as my keys) and then I had the brilliant idea to switch my keys to ASJK as the Taikomania skin had Red on the left and Blue on the right, this helped me visualize the Taiko patterns as Mania patterns.

I'd also like to share some patterns that plagued me as a newb and share how I visualize these patterns in hopes that this can maybe help other aspiring taiko players that played mania
Patterns
Trill
Blue 3-Stair
Blue 3-Stair Reverse
Full Stair
Reverse Full Stair
Stair-Trill Finish

Overall, I'm having a pretty good time playing Taiko, it's fairly easy to grasp once you know how to visualize the patterns, I don't think regular taiko players would agree of this learning method though :')
apaajaboleh10
:thonkang:
Garpo
Can you just play taiko the way it was meant to be read instead of turning it into another mania leaderboard
Topic Starter
Dudamesh

Dudamesh wrote:

I don't think regular taiko players would agree of this learning method though :')

Garpo wrote:

Can you just play taiko the way it was meant to be read instead of turning it into another mania leaderboard

:^)
yuki_momoiro722
Learning osu!taiko as a mania player is quite complex. It depends on your fitness and level that you try to play this one. But I'm not quite sure about this as I know your perspective... :thinking:

Anyways, your pattern guide would help.

Edit: Huh? Thanks for using my map as a screenshot! Hope you'll like it <3
Ynotdat
This is actually really interesting, even as just a taiko player who rarely ever plays mania, this is a really unique way of approaching the similar yet different gameplay between the two modes
roufou
the reason garpo doesn't agree with this way of "learning" taiko is that you're hardly even learning taiko. You're playing o!m more than taiko... Like really do you think the people who have like 1k plays on taiko and are using these skins could reach their top 1k rank without the skin?
yuki_momoiro722

agu wrote:

the reason garpo doesn't agree with this way of "learning" taiko is that you're hardly even learning taiko. You're playing o!m more than taiko... Like really do you think the people who have like 1k plays on taiko and are using these skins could reach their top 1k rank without the skin?

Hmmhmm, Depends on its rarity itself by people who are playing taiko by the osu!mania players.
I think they have stock knowledge by playing this mode, isn't it?
Flan_Fan
Dirty DDKK player lol jk
Kyekai
nice eight month bump but also just play taiko the way it was meant to be

or are you too lazy to dedicate the week or two of adjustment that it actually needs
onmyojii
dude i use this skin and it works well, but a month ago it always rendered as big note i wonder why? when i play osu this morning, it became the way it should but after i closing my osu and play it again, it is reverted to the first problem, is osu developer fixing this map or is it just me? sorry for bad english, thanks in advance
apaajaboleh10
It is fixed recently
OnyXSakura
Can you guys stop crying about how people play? Everyone can play how he or she wants.
DeletedUser_4050493
as a player that move from Mania (have experienced DDR & GH) to Taiko and don't have any clue how to Taiko
I know the pain that must have been paid to overcome the Oni diff especially with my playstyle (Full Alt KDDK)
at the end it's your choice to learn actual Taiko or just play around with that skin, but I have something to tell u from what I have been experiencing
u will have a hell of fun learning Taiko mode