forum

Is being left-handed a disadvantage?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CatzerTM
a bit curious. i've seen quite a number of players who are left-handed complain about how difficult it is playing. as a person who is left-handed myself i can't really i say relate as standard isn't my main mode of playing. i've played a few times after getting myself a tablet and i do worse when using a mouse or touchpad.
Ayayano
Doing worse on a tablet is normal, took me at least two days to regain my skills after a switch from mouse to tab, but I cant comment on being left handed, it doesn't seem like it would matter? Idk
xenal
I'm holding mouse with right hand regardless, but I guess if you use tablet and hold it like you would hold a pen and try to tap with right hand, it's just a matter of adaptation.
Franchouchou

TheArcMageYT wrote:

Doing worse on a tablet is normal, took me at least two days to regain my skills after a switch from mouse to tab, but I cant comment on being left handed, it doesn't seem like it would matter? Idk

This. Totally agree.

I am also a lefty like you do @CatzerTM and switching to tablet soon but I don't expect myself to able to instant play the star difficulty that I am at. Once I get the tablet in about a week or 2, probably going back to 3* or even 2* to develop the muscle.

Its the same when you just started using the mouse to play this game. It takes muscle memory to get used to it. Regardless of which hand you play.
XxduckpigxX
There shouldn't be any disadvantages using left hand. It should just take a while to get used to tablet.
mulraf
i'm a righty then but i play like a left-handed would (with mouse) and see no problem tbh :D
KuroJam
I'm left-handed, I had to re-learn how to tap with my right hand and use tablet with left.

Takes a while (took me about a month to get used to it), but as ALWAYS, it's all practice.

I see no downsides, We just have to "re-program" ourselves.

Example: When we first started using a computer, we could've used mouse/tablet with left hand instead and it'd be normal for us.
tokaku
No one has pointed this out yet but many maps are right hand biased in terms of patterns. Because I'm right handed I can't remember any particular difficult right hand biased jumps but there is a left hand biased map I remember. It's cold green eyes on the hardest difficulty. The hardest part is on the furthest right part of the screen and most right handlers will struggle with it. Take that pattern and flip it to the far left and that's most right hand biased maps. There's a lot of those but I can't remember from the top of my head. On the bright side it means left handers are going to have an easy time farming pp from CGE
Ayayano

Jolene wrote:

No one has pointed this out yet but many maps are right hand biased in terms of patterns. Because I'm right handed I can't remember any particular difficult right hand biased jumps but there is a left hand biased map I remember. It's cold green eyes on the hardest difficulty. The hardest part is on the furthest right part of the screen and most right handlers will struggle with it. Take that pattern and flip it to the far left and that's most right hand biased maps. There's a lot of those but I can't remember from the top of my head. On the bright side it means left handers are going to have an easy time farming pp from CGE

Really good point, you have to take into account the physical position / movements of your hand with respect to the patterns on screen
DgessuS
From my experience I could say that left-handed people have disadvantage if they don't have a tablet from beginning . I was playing for two years until I bought a tablet and I've decided I should better continue using my right hand to aim , but that was mistake - I struggled with pen grip all the time , I was forced to change my grip during the map and this piece of crap constantly slipped away from my hand . I think I shouldn't say my aim was worst . And now I'm starting from very beginning with aiming left hand and I don't know where will it lead me .
P.S. sorry for my cursed eng , I'm currently working on it
Molly Sandera

DgessuS wrote:

From my experience I could say that left-handed people have disadvantage if they don't have a tablet from beginning . I was playing for two years until I bought a tablet and I've decided I should better continue using my right hand to aim , but that was mistake - I struggled with pen grip all the time , I was forced to change my grip during the map and this piece of crap constantly slipped away from my hand . I think I shouldn't say my aim was worst . And now I'm starting from very beginning with aiming left hand and I don't know where will it lead me .
P.S. sorry for my cursed eng , I'm currently working on it
Er, necroposting was unnecessary, the guy didn't even reply
megalapin
They say left handed people have a higher sense of rhythm
dung eater
Among Incas left-handers were called (and now are called among the indigenous peoples of the Andes) transl. que – transl. lloq'e (Quechua: lluq'i) which has positive value. Peoples of the Andes consider left-handers to possess special spiritual abilities, including magic and healing.

The Third Sapa Inca—Lloque Yupanqui—was left-handed. His name, when translated from Quechua, means "the glorified lefthander."

In tantra Buddhism, the left hand represents wisdom.
DeletedUser_5153421
It barely makes any difference, especially if you are using your arm instead of your wrist. Are ppl really thinking about resorting to changing their handiness for a rhythm game tho? If osu! added a mirror mode to osu!std there wouldn't even be any debate anymore btw lul.
[ plutoh ]
im pretty sure whitecat and mrekk are both left hand players
monkeyboy56
id say its the exact opposite. left handed players are often used to using their right hand for some menial tasks such as using a mouse or cutting with scissors so we tend to have more balanced hand control than right hand people since they have pretty much zero reason to ever use their left hand for anything
RyaleBldez

CatzerTM wrote:

a bit curious. i've seen quite a number of players who are left-handed complain about how difficult it is playing. as a person who is left-handed myself i can't really i say relate as standard isn't my main mode of playing. i've played a few times after getting myself a tablet and i do worse when using a mouse or touchpad.
yes, but it's not a huge disadvantage as long you don't play maps with circles located all the way to the left edges.
lmfao
It most certainly isn't. There are multiple top players now that are left handed and I am left handed and still use my tablet on my right and my keyboard on my left. You can still thrive being left handed!
Machiavellian
no