forum

Consistency

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fealthas
Hi there fellow circle people :)

Id like to ask a few things about consistency. If you wanna just slap me with "play more" without any further explanation then please dont even waste your energy, thats not the answer im looking for. Im looking for actual explanation of certain terms and questions. I guess the best way to put it is to go point by point so we dont mix one question with another. So here we go :)

1) What is consistency? I think i have a fairly good idea, but im still somewhat new (or at least i still FEEL somewhat new) so please dont consider this a troll question just because im playing for a year and half. Im serious.
2) How do i achieve (practice) consistency?
3) Why is retrying bad for consistency?
4) Is retrying ALWAYS bad for consistency (so should i NEVER retry a map) or are there certain situations, where a few retries are okay? (for example playing for PP)
5) Any kind of consistency related tip or advice that might have crossed your mind? :)

I think thats about it so thank you for your time and advice (unless you wrote "play more" in which case ill force you to play 300 BPM streams for the next 10 hours - NONSTOP :D )
Juuuuuuuuul
From my own experience and from what i saw by watching/reading veterans around the net (reddit, forums, twitch, YT...).

1 - What is consistency?
Always doing correctly what you already can do. Synonyms of consistency are : stability, constancy, regularity.
The more time you're able to play without mistake, the more consistent you are.
A mistake may be miss-aim, missread, misstiming, losing focus or whatever.

2 - How do i achieve (practice) consistency?
By playing on a difficulty range that you already know that you're able to play correctly but only if you do your best.
Sightreading new/unknown maps is good for the practice of consistency because it will force you to keep a constant good focus.
Too easy is not good for the practice of consistency, because you don't need to focus at your best.
Too hard is not good for the practice of consistency,
because doing a lot of mistakes in a learning/training process (examples, getting used of higher AR, training faster BPM, etc...) is normal.

3 - Why is retrying bad for consistency?
Because you will restrict yourself to play by memorisation of short diff spikes instead of reading and focusing constantly for a long time.

4 - Is retrying ALWAYS bad for consistency (so should i NEVER retry a map) or are there certain situations, where a few retries are okay?
A few retries are OK. Especially for stuff on what you're ready to FC.

5 - Any kind of consistency related tip or advice that might have crossed your mind?
Playing new map/unknown maps every days, maps that are in your FCable difficulty range.
Playing long maps/marathons.
Playing on what you're not in learning/training process anymore. But hard enough to keep you in the need of being 100% focused.

I hope my English is understandable.

edit
tl;dr : Play more, but choose wisely what to play more (in a difficulty range you already know that you're able to play correctly).
Celine
it simply means you don't have to retry/memorize/rely on good days to set scores

theoretically never retrying is better since you're always exposed to more patterns

however figuring out how to do specific patterns properly > simply more exposure, and its kinda impossible to NEVER want to go for scores and only want to improve so you'll end up hitting that retry button anyway, personally its better to try to only retry after playing the map fully instead of just quitting out after a miss
Topic Starter
Fealthas
Okay that was WAY lot more detailed than i even dared to hope for. I guess this post is going to my bookmarks ^^ Thank you guys :)
Joltie
A good way to improve your consistency is to pick a map slightly out of your range, and FC it. However, you must play through the whole map each time and not retry at all, until you FC. This means you practice the whole map each time and are forced to learn the more difficult patterns, which will help you in the future. This worked for me, but maybe not everyone. Give it a try if you want!
Yukizie
play more feat Cookiezi