forum

Beatmap rating issues

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AlFas
I didn't find any better place to post this so I thought this would be the most fitting one, please don't blame me if I'm wrong.

Currently, the way players can rate a beatmap(set) is by playing through one of the difficulties and scroll all the way to the bottom to rate with a rating from 1 to 10 stars. That rating applies to all difficulties and is unchangeable.

The problem with that is that in most beatmapsets nowadays, there are difficulties made by entirely different mappers, which might have completely different "taste" in mapping, thus changing the player's rating on that specific difficulty. Individual difficulties from the same mapper may also differ a lot in the aspect of rating by someone, meaning easier ones are more enjoyable than harder or vice versa.

What's also annoying is that I may wish to rate a beatmap, however not wanting to have that score affect my profile in any way, therefore never completing it, making me ineligible of rating it. Usually this happens when I play beatmaps that are complete garbage. Ratings aren't there only to boost good maps and never negatively rate bad ones, but to express the opinion on that beatmap with a rating according to the player's individual preference.

I really hope at least the rating becomes available through the website, or more conveniently in the game itself, without forcing the player to go through the entire map before rating it.
dennischan
imo playing through the map before you can rate the map is the whole point of the current system. There's no point in allowing players to rate the map before they've even played it, since they've haven't even seen the map.

So I don't think the system needs to be changed
abraker
Dennischan, the issue here is that rating would be better per difficulty, not per beatmapset. Request is complaining that there is an issue rating a hybrid set because mappers can be different. Same applies to guest difficulties.

Also this belongs in requests, here: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/4
Tell a mod to move it
Topic Starter
AlFas

dennischan wrote:

imo playing through the map before you can rate the map is the whole point of the current system. There's no point in allowing players to rate the map before they've even played it, since they've haven't even seen the map.

So I don't think the system needs to be changed

I understand the current implementation in that sense, but everyone can see the map in the editor or play it and never register a passing score. At least, when someone has any score published on the server, they should have the ability to rate the map, perhaps they had a terrible time playing it, leading to them never wanting to complete it.