forum

Wiki links in ingame chat [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
First (main) suggestion:

Add possibility to create links to osu!wiki by typing them in wiki markup.

Examples:
[[FAQ]] will result in [[FAQ]]
[[FAQ|please read]] will result in [[please read]]

Thus it will be easier to give special links when someone asks something. Also as people turn to wiki more often it will be more useful.

Second (optional) suggestion:

Add more wiki-related markup.

For me default link creation in chat is too difficult and illogical (link after description). I always forget what to use first, () or [].
In wiki you use the following:
[http://example.com description]
This is much easier, isn't it?
those
It's just a matter of how ppy decides to let IRC parse certain key combinations. This is rather unnecessary, since we already have a system of (text)[url].

Also, I don't know if you have discovered yet, but [url text] is what you call an external link, denoted by that symbol that you see after the link if you choose to express one in this format. With that being said, [[article name|text]] wouldn't make sense in IRC since there are no articles within the osu! client itself, and [url text] can certainly leave more space for errors than (text)[url].

I bet you have just learned about wiki code, haven't you P:
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
It's just a matter of how ppy decides to let IRC parse certain key combinations. This is rather unnecessary, since we already have a system of (text)[url].
As I said, this system is too illogical and too hard to remember for newbies.

[[article name|text]] wouldn't make sense in IRC since there are no articles within the osu! client itself
But there are articles on the website, but in case of answering a question you have to open wiki, type the article, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V... Better not to answer.

[url text] can certainly leave more space for errors than (text)[url]
What errors? o.o Show an example.

I bet you have just learned about wiki code, haven't you P:
I write articles in wiki since 2008 :Р
We have an IRC channel with these functions, and I haven't see any errors yet. Also our bot can parse link headers and show them, so everyone can know what link have.
peppy
Will definitely add this.
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
Wow, so fast... Already seen this in test client.

What about the rest? Will you add this in future or you didn't like the ideas?
peppy
I may add the alternative link style in the future, yes.
Topic Starter
[Dellirium]
Thanks, peppy.

/me goes to create a new template for this feature.
peppy
Full support has now been added, by the way.