forum

Ingame Drift With Deathadder?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
G0r
I hope that this is the right spot for this. It is technically a gameplay question, and not clearly a technical issue with the game... Anyway, I have a Deathadder mouse, and I love it. it's great, but... I have been noticing, for a long time now, that when I have to move at very high speeds, such as high BPM maps, or when there are long spinners, or a lot of spinners, it seems to drift a very small bit. I believe that the drift is always to the right, although I do recall a few maps that had me feeling like it was somehow the other way. It is not a very noticeable thing. I have not really been able to prove it by measurement, or anything like that, but I always feel that after a while my hand is further to the left than it was when I started... I think that it is either in my head, or that I am moving my hand to the left slowly to compensate for the mouse drifting to the right. Again, I have no way of measuring to see if this is actually happening, so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. I use a Steelseries QCK, so I doubt that it is my pad screwing up the tracking, but could the tracking just be off in this mouse by a small bit? Is it maybe something in the game...? Am I crazy? XD What do you guys think?
Frizz
I think this has been discussed before. Spinning in circle would mostly cause the cursor to drift a little.
Now I'm not sure if it's just my hand or my mouse but I tried drawing circles in Paint and the cursor keeps drifting to the right as well.
Topic Starter
G0r
Oh thank God... I thought it was just me. XD When I try it in paint, I get a solid circle, but I think I just unconsciously adjust my hand to the left as I go along, so I don't see any difference. It's only an issue, since I think I get into odd positions on the mat sometimes because of it. What mouse are you using, the same one?
Mithos
I tried this myself and although my hand felt like it kept the same position, the circle definitely moved to the right. If we can get a left handed person to try this, it would be interesting to see if the circle drifted to the left at all.
boat
I do recall other people with deathadders having the very same issue, but not only that mouse in particular.

Tried this with my eyes closed, doesn't really skid to any side, at a speed that would be about 400 on a spinner.

works fine on my naos5k
Can't say for sure, but I believe its an issue with the sensor skipping a little. Perhaps try with a different mouse.
silmarilen
been a topic about this before and tons of people have this to all different sides

mine went to the left

edit: nvm, now it stays in one place
winber1
i have a deathadder, but it doesn't really seem to be doing any sort of drifting, but idk...
kriers
I have this problem using my Steelseries XAI and I just can't get it fixed no matter what. One of the main reasons why I prefer Mionix Naos 5000 is because it has never had that problem ever.
darkmiz
Buy a tablet, problem solved.
Espionage724

Red was with my Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 when I was trying. Blue was when I tried with my eyes closed (the X was the starting point)

I'm right-handed too
RaneFire
Is that other thread around? Tried a few search terms but no luck.

Just bare in mind also that this kind of problem is not always caused by the sensor seeing that kriers mentioned that the XAI has the problem and the Naos doesn't, when they both use the 9500.

Mouse firmware and interpolation of DPI can cause this.

Have you tried the test on the mouse native DPI setting?

This is partly why I chose the G400, since it drops half the counts, unlike the deathadder which interpolates and has a high native DPI.
Valentiino
I had this problem with every DPI I tried. One of the reasons why I decided to swap to tablet. It's just annoying when you run out of mouse surface altough your surface is 40cmx40cm :x
Topic Starter
G0r

RaneFire wrote:

Just bare in mind also that this kind of problem is not always caused by the sensor seeing that kriers mentioned that the XAI has the problem and the Naos doesn't, when they both use the 9500.

This is partly why I chose the G400, since it drops half the counts, unlike the deathadder which interpolates and has a high native DPI.
I'd love to hear more about interpolation. I don't really know what it is. I understand that the Deathadder begins with something like a 1600 DPI when plugged in. Is this what you mean by native DPI? Mt firmware is the latest available. Also, what test? Do you just mean spinning it and seeing if it drifts? Do you think that Polling speed makes any difference? I use 1000Hz. I understand that that is the most reactive.
RaneFire

G0r wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

I'd love to hear more about interpolation. I don't really know what it is. I understand that the Deathadder begins with something like a 1600 DPI when plugged in. Is this what you mean by native DPI? Mt firmware is the latest available. Also, what test? Do you just mean spinning it and seeing if it drifts? Do you think that Polling speed makes any difference? I use 1000Hz. I understand that that is the most reactive.
Post 315 onwards explains the DeathAdder's driver interpolation pretty well. I don't own a DA, but it would appear 1800 DPI is native. Native DPI means that no data recalculations are done when used.

Even so, Skylit says the DA's firmware is very well done regarding interpolation, and is no problem in other games. But spinning in a circle isn't a popular game mechanic lol.

Regarding the test, yes try spinning at 1800 dpi (native) and see if it drifts.

Polling speed of 1000hz should be more beneficial if anything, this just means how frequently the data is sent from the mouse. Your USB can still handle so much more data being sent anyway. It pretty much takes a vacation compared to what it's designed to be used for.

edit: Hardware side interpolation is done at 450/900 dpi so if you use those it's better. Drivers interpolate any other setting.
Topic Starter
G0r

RaneFire wrote:

Post 315 onwards explains the DeathAdder's driver interpolation pretty well. I don't own a DA, but it would appear 1800 DPI is native. Native DPI means that no data recalculations are done when used.

Even so, Skylit says the DA's firmware is very well done regarding interpolation, and is no problem in other games. But spinning in a circle isn't a popular game mechanic lol.

Regarding the test, yes try spinning at 1800 dpi (native) and see if it drifts.

Polling speed of 1000hz should be more beneficial if anything, this just means how frequently the data is sent from the mouse. Your USB can still handle so much more data being sent anyway. It pretty much takes a vacation compared to what it's designed to be used for.

edit: Hardware side interpolation is done at 450/900 dpi so if you use those it's better. Drivers interpolate any other setting.
Well, I gave it a try at 1800, and I think I still felt it. Again, I felt like I was slowly inching to the left a bit while spinning, but if I was, it was too small to see visually, and it barely moved my mouse at all, because it stayed essentially in the same place. This is the same reason why I was so uncertain about it being real drift and not just a figment of my imagination. Anyway, it might have been lessened, if it was there. I'm not sure. I can't really give it a play test at that DPI, because it's about 1000 counts too sensitive for me.

I use 800 DPI, and I use the Deathadder driver, as I expect all people do with this mouse. I think that any calculations are probably made by the driver.