forum

How to deal with mental blocks?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
trindomeer
First things first yeah I'm currently 6 digit trash I'll go play more right after I write this post dw guys.

Okay so uni student here. Over the last Christmas break I didn't play osu like at all. For a month. Before I went on break I was starting to be able to fc some 4* maps and was pretty happy with where I was progress wise. A month of not playing goes by, and when I return to the game I expect to be super duper rusty.
Which I was. For about 2 days.
I started playing again on Jan 22nd.
On Jan 24th, I set a new top play by basically replicating what was at the time my top play but with slightly better acc (I don't actually remember what map it was but the acc went from around 92% to 95%).
On January 25th I FCed the 4* diff on Cold Green Eyes, which wouldn't be something to be "oh wow" about except I did it with 99.39% acc. That's WAY higher than anything I've ever gotten on any 4* map like ever.
...Except for the play I set the very next day, with 99.64% acc on Leave the Lights on.
In fact, just 11 days after I came back from break, my top 15 plays were all brand new. Every day, I put some new play into my top 5. And then for some reason, I just couldn't do it any more.

I've been playing non stop ever since then, although you wouldn't know it looking at my history since until very recently I just couldn't fc ANYTHING. I couldn't focus well enough to hit anywhere near those levels of acc any more. Just recently, I've finally started to work through the focusing issue and got a few good plays again. However, the real thing that just suddenly felt different when I suddenly stopped getting good scores was my aim. I remember the day that I suddenly just couldn't do it anymore, it felt like my hand was sliding all over the place. Nothing about the mouse or mouse pad was different. Also, the weird thing is that I can do jumps no problem (well, no problem relative to the level of maps I'm trying to play at least). It's actually the super easy short jumps between objects that aren't intended to be difficult that seem to give me the most trouble. Like, I'll be playing the map perfectly fine, and then almost like I'm twitching or something my hand just kind of spasms. I play other pc games, and I can tell you I don't get random hand spasms from holding a mouse. This is an osu only problem.

For a while, I just didn't care. Like, obviously I didn't want to take another break from the game less than 2 weeks after I started playing again, and I was having fun anyways. However, recently, I've started slowly naturally improving back to the level I was at for those 2 weeks. My acc has gotten much better again, and I'm actually significantly better at streaming than I was back then (you will notice that the two plays with really high acc are maps with 0 streams whatsoever). HOWEVER, that aim problem persists. Based on everything I've written above, I am pretty sure that this is some sort of mental thing tied to nerves or maybe focus. Either way, I really feel like it's the main thing stopping me from progressing. Moreover, it's doing so in a really annoying way. I enjoy osu mainly because of the sense of accomplishment that I feel when I'm improving, and this problem just doesn't seem to be getting any less frequent. Like I'm sure that if I just "play more" this WILL eventually go away, but it's getting increasingly hard to motivate myself to do so when it feels like I'm still at the map difficulty levels I was at over 2 months ago with little to show for it. Also I'm running out of maps I enjoy playing within a reasonable difficulty range because I've been there for so long. And so, aside from just venting about this incredibly frustrating experience, I would like to ask if anyone else has ever had a similar issue, and if so what you did to break out of it.

Oh uh one more side note just in case it helps someone diagnose the problem the hand spasmy thing pretty much only happens when I'm moving my mouse horizontally, usually left to right, and usually not in the middle of jump sections.
Celine
revisit mindblocked set of maps months later

for maps just get tournament pools or find your fav mapper and dl most of his stuffs including unranked
DXPOHIHIHI
quit the game,
worked for me when I couldn't fc maps anymore 🤗😌