forum

[added] Force Default Skin in Editor

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +17
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
Suggestion from thelewa.

So pretty much, a lot of issues that people find sometimes are due to skin differences. For instance, people will map with transparent 300s, and then it turns out that those combobursts make important things hidden, as well as other things that could be differed by using other skins.

So we thought that, unless there is a skin in the beatmap folder or their is a preferred skin set that you have, the default skin would be forced, so we wouldn't have problems caused by differences in skins and stuff

Desu.
theowest
Was already thinking of posting this feature request, but since you did it I don't have to! \o\ (I have a list)

Yeah, of course it should be forced. At least for the hit bursts.
mm201
Already planned~
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
but I like my skin :?

edit:

http://up.ppy.sh/files/ihavegreatdrawingskills.jpg

add here..?
those
Awesome. Now more people can test to see if stuff hits the HP bar and makes it not moe

uguu~
Sallad4ever
Great, cause it's only taking effect in editor I don't see why anyone will against this. Might have problem with anyone who want to see their customized skin performance though :P
Scorpiour
I cant say it's a good idea because of the sliderstyle.

or..what the meaning of user's custom skinset...?
LKs
one by-product I can remind now: people can no longer see that whether his(the mapper) custom skin works well with the BG and the song atmosphere. (when the skin is still WIP(still needs adjustment), the mapper have to switch from play to edit mode to test/see. this is quite low efficiency )

I agree with the request but I think we should filter/forbid all the other custom skins except for the skin elements that are in the map folder.
Ekaru

LKs wrote:

one by-product I can remind now: people can no longer see that whether his(the mapper) custom skin works well with the BG and the song atmosphere. (when the skin is still WIP(still needs adjustment), the mapper have to switch from play to edit mode to test/see. this is quite low efficiency )

I agree with the request but I think we should filter/forbid all the other custom skins except for the skin elements that are in the map folder.
This. Map-specific skins are what the player is assumed to be playing with in those cases, so yeah.
mm201
It would honour the SkinPreference for the map, along with in-map skin elements.
In this way, you can still test out skins in the editor if you want.

Scorpiour wrote:

I cant say it's a good idea because of the sliderstyle.
There's an option to force your current sliderstyle, in case the default one causes issues.
Mithos
What if your skin uses custom hitsounds that are key to your beatmap, or if you know for a fact that your skin should be the one being used? What about Taiko maps?
Nitojgrem

Mithost wrote:

What if your skin uses custom hitsounds that are key to your beatmap, or if you know for a fact that your skin should be the one being used? What about Taiko maps?
I guess it'll be the same as with custom skins which are used for the map ~
Sakura

Mithost wrote:

Taiko maps wouldnt be much of a problem to map since you're supposed to be playtesting them to death.

However i think it wouldnt be hard to force Taiko skin if the mode is set to Taiko only.
mm201
Guys, guys, it will just work. Custom hitsounds/skin elements/whatever and taiko things will work exactly how you'd expect.
Set your skin to "Default" and go into the editor. That's how it'll work.
Scorpiour
There's an option to force your current sliderstyle, in case the default one causes issues.
could mappers have the option in editor to select sliderstyle instead of players' preference?
Mithos
Default skin's taiko hitsounds are made by a snare-off snare drum + rim, not a Taiko. It's a different instrument you are mapping for and to expect every taiko mapper to either replace their hitsounds of their default skin (already done ;)) or deal with non-authentic hitsounds just so the people who map with crazy skins are safe from a mod asking for them to play the map in default for a sec?

I wouldn't mind if your 'Use taiko skin for taiko gamemode' option also applied to mapping. Then I'm fine with the default skin being used for default maps. It was a pain to switch anyways
boat
Its not a pain to switch. I switch every time before I go into the editor, and its not a hassle. Takes a second.
Mercurial
A option to change the skin in the editor menu could be cool, too.
boat
engine would have to reload and replace all sprites, so it wouldn't take that much less time

why are you all so lazy

it takes three mouseclicks to go and change the skin, and two more to go back to the first menu

SUCH A HASSLE
Mercurial
Is not "being lazy" or something.

Is just a thing what could be awesome, anyway, I always change the skin to mod, at least on serious mods.
mm201
failboat, you don't understand. It's not about convenience, it's about preemptively improving the overall quality of maps by providing a highly tuned editor environment.
Just like how when I changed the default slider speed multipliers to 0.75 and 1.5, the abuse of 2x and 0.5x speed changes suddenly declined.

iMercurial wrote:

A option to change the skin in the editor menu could be cool, too.
There is. It's called Skin Preference under Beatmap Options. Allowing a different skin from the skin preference would defeat the purpose of this feature. (And if you really need a custom skin your map is not using, you can pick a skin preference then change it back when you're done.)
awp

boat wrote:

it takes three mouseclicks to go and change the skin, and two more to go back to the first menu
people use the mouse to navigate the main menu? whattttttt
Mithos
mm201, taiko beatmaps should have the option to be edited with the taiko skin. The hitsounds are too different.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

Mithost wrote:

taiko editor
no
Mithos

CDFA wrote:

Mithost wrote:

taiko skin
no
Edited my post with what I mean't to say.
My1_old
not needed you CAN force default skin.

--> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43755858/Skin.png

(why cant I just attach the pic)
Sakura

My1 wrote:

That's force the default skin for the map, not for the editor
Nitojgrem

My1 wrote:

You got the idea of this idea wrong. It's meant that you force the default skin in editor... and that means only in editor. So you can play with the skin your using and such. If you do that on the pic you would force to use the default map for playing too... and well when you do that, what you show on the picture you're using your own skin in editor but forced to use the default skin for playing... so the total different case xD
mm201
"Use taiko skin for taiko mode" should be honoured.
Using the taiko hitsounds in the editor is a different but good request.
It also dawned on me that the default SFX volumes should also be used, to avoid silent hitsound / blasting whistle problems.
Tsukasa
There are actually some who find using default skin on editor hard

Though we could always toggle them, but there are still lots who don't use it
popner
I use default skin to check overlap things.
I use my skin to test map.
An option in editor will be great.
Mithos
popner, it wouldn't be an option. You would HAVE to use the default skin when you are editing and testing.
theowest
I'd actually really, really want to play with my skin when testing. I can't play with default any more.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice

theowest wrote:

I'd actually really, really want to play with my skin when testing. I can't play with default any more.
My1_old
me2
Rei Hakurei

theowest wrote:

Shino

theowest wrote:

This.
Making it as an option will be good, for someone else.
boat
So basically, this setting

could define what skin should be used in the editor and when testing, too, and then just set it back to default once you're done if you don't want to force a skin on the map? Granted the client would have to reload all the sprites when changing it, but I don't see the hassle with that.
TheVileOne
BUMP

I would find such an option convenient, especially if it could be toggled.
deadbeat
this would be fairly useful
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
dam i forgot I made this lol

Hopefully this post hasn't been forgotten :3.
Stefan
Bump. Maybe it does not belongs here but I'd also wish (with this Request) to force the Taiko Skin if you're mapping a Taiko Difficulty. That would as also great as the main Request and some people (also me) works better with the Taiko Skin.
onotoleonide
this please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Atrue

popner wrote:

I use default skin to check overlap things.
I use my skin to test map.
An option in editor will be great.
I agree with this. When I test the Beatmaps, I am on the standpoint of players. And I am used to my skin. But when editing the default skin is more proper for the check.
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani

CDFA wrote:

dam i forgot I made this lol

Hopefully this post hasn't been forgotten :3.
please
Kodora

theowest wrote:

I'd prefer it to be optional as well.
Derekku
mm201 pls

Not only would this help for modding maps, but also for checking osu!stream maps. :p In that case, give us an option of what skin to use in the Editor (or set a flag that will recognize stream maps ;) ).
peppy
Added
Stefan

Stefan wrote:

Bump. Maybe it does not belongs here but I'd also wish (with this Request) to force the Taiko Skin if you're mapping a Taiko Difficulty. That would as also great as the main Request and some people (also me) works better with the Taiko Skin.
Will that happens too in the future?
show more